Area Crime 2017

Area Crime 2017

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:56 pm

Osceola woman terrified after being robbed in home invasion

Osceola woman terrified after being robbed in home invasion

Two robbers walked into RuthAnn Dull's Osceola apartment Thursday night and robbed her at gunpoint.

By Joel Porter | Updated: Fri 6:11 PM, Jan 06, 2017

A woman in Osceola says she no longer feels safe at home after two people robbed her Thursday night.

Two robbers walked into RuthAnn Dull's Osceola apartment Thursday night and robbed her at gunpoint.

RuthAnn Dull says a man walked in her unlocked door, said he was looking for somebody, then surprised her by pulling a gun.

“He asked if this was his uncle's crib. And I said, ‘No, you have the wrong apartment’,” Dull said.

But Dull wasn't expecting any company Thursday night.

“He walked right into the kitchen and put a gun to my head,” Dull said.

Dull and her family were getting ready for bed in her Riverbend apartment when two people came through the door.

“He just started demanding money, gimme money, gimme money,” Dull said.

In less than five minutes, the armed robber took Dull's money, some medication and anything small he could carry.

“He ordered me to give him my jewelry. My granddaughter is six years old, standing beside me, 'Mama, just do what he says, do what he says. Please don't shoot my mama',” Dull said.

So far, it appears Dull was the only one who was targeted by the robbers Thursday night. She admits, she didn't see the two get away, but Elkhart County sheriff's detectives say they're keeping an eye out for what may be a black Pontiac Grand Prix that the two may have used as a getaway car.

“I just don't feel safe out here anymore,” Dull said.

The two robbers are described as a young black man in his late teens or early 20s, with a thin build and facial hair.

He was wearing a stocking cap and blue jacket with grey stripes.

He was with a black woman around 35 to 40 years old, with a shaved haircut with curls on top, glasses and a lip piercing.

Anyone with information that could help is asked to call Elkhart County Sheriff's detectives at 574-891-2300 or by clicking on the “Submit a Tip” button located at the top of the Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department’s

http://www.wndu.com/content/news/Elkhar ... 54965.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: Area Crime 2017

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:58 pm

Kosciusko Co. men arrested in theft ring that targeted off-road vehicles

Frank Bailey III and Michael Nicholas Watson

Posted: Fri 1:44 PM, Jan 06, 2017 | Updated: Fri 2:06 PM, Jan 06, 2017

KOSCIUSKO COUNTY, Ind. (WNDU) Two Kosciusko County men have been arrested in connection with an extensive crime spree that spanned five Indiana counties and two Michigan counties.

Frank Bailey III, a 41-year-old from North Webster, and Michael Nicholas Watson, a 27-year-old from Leesburg, were arrested Thursday and preliminarily charged with felony theft, burglary, and auto theft.

Bailey was also charged with operating a vehicle while never licensed, along with a second charge of felony auto theft.

Officers have recovered two side-by-side UTV’s, eight ATV’s, six trailers, snowmobiles, go-carts, golf carts, motor-cross motorcycles, and mini-bikes. Some of the items are believed to have not yet been reported stolen by the victims.

According to the Kosciusko County Sheriff’s Department, Bailey and Watson were part of a theft ring that may have included four other people and included crimes in Noble, Steuben, Starke, and Pulaski counties, along with two counties in Michigan. Additional arrests are possible as the investigation continues.

Bailey is currently being held in the Kosciusko County Jail on a $15,710 bond, and Watson is being held on a prosecutorial hold with no bond.

http://www.wndu.com/content/news/Kosciu ... 09345.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Man found guilty of 12 charges from reckless police chase in May

Posted: Sat 4:37 PM, Jan 07, 2017

A jury has found the semi driver who led police on a chase on I-94, which injured an officer, guilty of a 12 charges.

According to our reporting partners at the Herald–Palladium, jurors convicted 39-year-old Ronald Jiles of California on Friday.

Last May, Jiles began hitting other vehicles while driving on the highway, and an officer trying to place stop sticks was hurt diving out of the semi's path.

Police were eventually forced to shoot one of his tires.

After getting off I-94, Jiles' truck jackknifed in Stevensville.

Jiles reportedly had meth in his system at the time.

His lawyers argued involuntary intoxication because Jiles admitted to taking cocaine, but says he didn't know there was meth in it.

He'll be sentenced February 13th.
http://www.wndu.com/content/news/Man-fo ... 83405.html
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:03 pm

UPDATE: A look inside Hickory Village apartment shooting

A look inside Hickory Village apartment shooting

By Shaun Gallagher | Posted: Wed 6:11 PM, Jan 04, 2017 | Updated: Wed 6:55 PM, Jan 04, 2017

Mishawaka, Ind. --- Mishawaka police were called to Hickory Village Apartments for a report of shots fired Tuesday night.

Police arrived on scene around 7:00 p.m. and WNDU was on scene as they cleaned shattered glass and searched with flashlights.

Wednesday, one resident showed the inside of his apartment after the shooting.

"This spot right here is where either the first or second gunshot happened."

Jakobi Lyons wasn't home at the time of the shooting. He was at work. However, his roommate called him right away and told him to come home immediately.

"He said the apartment is shot up," Lyons said. "You need to come back. Cops are asking questions. I'm just like, 'what?'"

When Lyons got back, there were about a dozen police cars at his apartment investigating after several bullets came into his home.

"There is glass," Lyons said. "A river of glass here. They've already found bullets within my apartment [and] multiple outside. The downstairs neighbors apartment was hit as well. Literally, if my roommate would have come out of his room at the time, like minutes before it happened, he would have been hit by one of the stray bullets."

His sliding glass door was boarded up Wednesday after the glass was shattered but there were still remnants of what happened the night before.

"I can pull this over and show you," Lyons said, as he pulled the blinds for the sliding glass doors. "You can actually see where the gunshot hit through the blinds. That could have happened to cause the glass to fall out and everything."

A bullet hole near the bottom of the wall near the sliding glass doors likely hit the wall by his front door.

"The velocity wasn't enough to go through," Lyons said about the hole in the wall near the door. "But if it was, it would have gone all the way through into my kitchen area. So, if I was here at the time, I easily could have gotten shot in the back of the head."

Even though this isn't something he's experienced at the Hickory Village Apartments before, he's ready to find a new place to live.

"My biggest concern is, I have to stay here until I find something else," he said. "I can't find another friend's place to crash at. And it's not just me. There are hundreds of other people who live here. There are children who live in this building. My biggest concern was what if this was someone else's building or someone else's apartment? A child could have got hit. Someone that someone else cared about could have got hit. It's unfortunate people doing unfortunate things."

Police say they have no suspects right now but have several shell casings from the scene.
http://www.wndu.com/content/news/Shots- ... 04485.html
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:10 pm

Employee robbed at gunpoint outside University Park Mall
CHRISTIAN SHECKLER South Bend Tribune csheckler@sbtinfo.com Jan 10, 2017 Updated 4 hrs ago (0)
University Park Mall

Robert Franklin, South Bend Tribune
The parking lot outside University Park Mall. A mall employee told police she was robbed at gunpoint while walking to work on Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2017. Tribune File Photo/ROBERT FRANKLIN
A woman told police she was robbed at gunpoint as she walked in to work Tuesday morning at Mishawaka's University Park Mall.

Police responded about 9:30 a.m. to the parking lot on the northwest side of the mall. The woman told officers she was walking toward an entrance when a young man approached her from behind, put a handgun to her head and demanded money, said Mishawaka police Assistant Chief Jason Stefaniak.

The woman said the man took her purse and drove away in a white sedan, heading north out of the parking lot. She said she had noticed the white car parked near her before she started walking in to work. Police originally said the woman worked at the Macy's store, but Stefaniak later said she worked elsewhere in the mall.

Stefaniak said police believe the suspect's vehicle may have been reported stolen from the Elkhart area, based on its license plate number and a similar description. A witness to the robbery Tuesday recorded the license plate number, he said.

It's not clear which direction the suspect drove after leaving the mall. Stefaniak said multiple police departments flooded the area but never saw the vehicle.

Police also would review store surveillance images for a description of the suspect, he said.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/pu ... nd_Tribune
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:21 am

South Bend Police: Apartment robbery victim held at gunpoint
by Ashley Henderson, WSBT 22 ProducerTuesday, January 24th 2017
SOUTH BEND — Police are investigating an early morning break-in at a South Bend apartment that ended with one person being held at gun-point.
It happened at the Irish Hills Apartments around 2 a.m. Tuesday.
The victim told investigators the suspect broke in through a third-floor balcony and stole several guns.
Officials describe those firearms as an AR 15 assault rifle and two handguns.
Police say the suspect then held the victim at gunpoint and took the victim's car keys.
The suspect reportedly got away with the victim's car, which police describe as a four-door, silver sedan.
At this point, police are still searching for a suspect.
No one was hurt.

http://wsbt.com/news/local/police-apart ... t-gunpoint
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:44 am

UPDATE: Police investigating man's 'suspicious death' in South Bend

'Suspicious death' investigation in South Bend

By NewsCenter 16 Staff | Posted: Thu 4:05 AM, Jan 26, 2017 | Updated: Thu 6:33 AM, Jan 26, 2017

South Bend, Ind. (WNDU) -- Police are investigating what they're a 'suspicious death' at the Miami Hills Apartments in South Bend.

Officers were called to the scene around 2 a.m. after being told someone had been shot.

When they arrived, the victim was found dead.

St. Joseph County Metro Homicide is talking to two people who were inside the apartment during the incident. They are not being called suspects at this time.

The victim's name hasn't been released, but is said to be a young man.

At this time, there is no word on a suspect.

http://www.wndu.com/content/news/Suspic ... 40795.html
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:50 am

Student detained after threatening school staff with electronic device

Student detained after threatening school staff with electronic device

Posted: Tue 6:21 PM, Jan 24, 2017 | Updated: Tue 6:59 PM, Jan 24, 2017

On Friday, a student was caught showing off something like a taser or a stun gun at Mishawaka High School.

Parents should know that the student was taken to the Juvenile Justice Center, and is waiting on a court date.

It is scary that there was a weapon on school grounds, but it wasn't the reason the student ended up getting detained.

It all happened just around 3:30 p.m. in the school parking lot

"So technically, it's still on school property," Assistant Superintendent Sr. Theodore Stevens said. "But outside the confines of school hours."

The student and a friend were messing around with something that seemed like an electronic weapon.

"Whether it's a taser or a stun gun, I'm not sure," Lieutenant Tim Williams said. "They were messing around with it, turning it on and off. A staff member noticed it."

Having a stun gun or taser on school grounds isn't the safest thing, but the biggest issue with the weapon is what was said between the student and staff.

"Comments were made concerning the safety of the staff member," Williams said. "And I can tell you that the juvenile was detained because of those comments."

http://www.wndu.com/content/news/Studen ... 88485.html
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:53 am

Arguello guilty of molesting girlfriend's grandchildren

Tony Arguello found guilty, will likely spend life in jail

By Shaun Gallagher | Posted: Wed 7:04 PM, Jan 25, 2017

SOUTH BEND, Ind. --- The South Bend man accused of molesting his girlfriend's grandchildren was found guilty today.

Tony Arguello, 50, was found guilty of six counts of child molestation. He originally faced seven, but one count was dismissed due to lack of evidence.

Arguello, who refused to attend court on Tuesday, was in court on Wednesday. The only testimony was from Detective Maranda Baker with the South Bend Police Department. She did the interview with Arguello which was played for the court.

In the two hour long interview, Arguello at first denies any involvement with the children. He said he never touched them sexually.
"I have never done anything sexually with those kids," Arguello said in the taped interview. "Someone is putting it in their head. I will die in my grave before I would say I sexed [sic] either of those two kids."

However, Arguello's stance started to soften about his sexual encounters with the two children, specifically the eight-year-old girl.

Arguello said in the interview the little girl would make sexual advances on him. He said she, an eight-year old girl, would sit in his, a 50 year old man's, lap and say, "I need it. I want you."

During the video, Arguello essentially corroborates the first four counts he faced, all of which were involving the female victim. He says the girl, and her friends, would dance provocatively while naked in front of him. He starts at first saying it only happened twice, but that number kept climbing.

Three to four times.

Once every three months.

Towards the end of the video, he tallies up the number of times he had encounters with the girl for the detective. The number was nearly 20.

"I am guilty of this," he said. "But she approached me every time."

When he was asked about the six-year-old boy victim, he went back to denying everything.

"I'm not into boys," Arguello said.

Arguello said the young boy was probably saying it to get attention, though he was the first person to speak up to his mother about the incidents happening without being provoked.

The jury went into deliberations for less than 20 minutes before coming back with the verdict. Guilty on all six counts of molestation.

"My niece and nephew got justice," Frances Hayes, the aunt of the victims said. "They don't got to deal with this anymore. They can put it behind them and be little kids and move on with their life and not bring this up anymore."

The details of the trial were very graphic, vile and disgusting. However, Hayes and other family members bravely sat through the entire thing.

"It was hard," Hayes said. "I had to leave a few times because it was bad. Some of the things, I just can't imagine any kid going through what they went through and hearing him being proud of what he did just disgusted me. It was really emotional. I'm ok now. I got the best news tonight. He was found guilty on all six counts. It only took the jury 18 minutes so I'm blessed. I'm happy and I'm happy for my niece and nephew."

The prosecuting team in this case put forth a very professional case in an otherwise troubling, demented tale of events. Detective Baker's prowess in the interview seemed to clearly take a toll on her after watching it back. Her professionalism in getting the suspect to open up about the gross and graphic details of the incidents was important to the suspect being found guilty. She was not available for an interview after the trial.

"Any case we deal with at special victims unit is a pretty tough case," Aimee Herring, Deputy Prosecuting Attorney and Supervisor for SVU said. "Any time kids are involved, it makes it even harder for us to deal with. When you think about it, that was a big victory for our community. That means we'll have our children much safer keeping this man off our streets, hopefully for a very long time. However, when you think about it in the terms of the two children who have already suffered the trauma at the hands of this man, it doesn't matter how long it took the jury to deliberate. That trauma has already been done."

Herring's hopes for Arguello to be off the streets for a long time will likely come true. He faces 20 to 40 years for each of the six counts he faces, meaning he will likely spend the rest of his life in jail.

Arguello is back in court for sentencing on Feb. 24.

http://www.wndu.com/content/news/Arguel ... 14485.html
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:46 pm

UPDATE: Metro homicide identify victim in fatal South Bend shooting
by WSBT 22Tuesday, February 7th 2017

SOUTH BEND — Police are investigating what appears to be a deadly shooting.
They were called out to a home at the 1100 block of Blaine Avenue around 11:50 p.m. after shotspotter was activated.
That's on the city's northwest side.
Police say they found 24-year-old Arthur Wielosinski dead in an alley between Blaine and Cleveland.
Police say he died from what appears to be gunshot wounds.
Investigators are interviewing several witnesses, no arrests have been made.
Police did search a nearby home.
Anyone with information is asked to contact 574-235-5009 or 574-288-7867.

http://wsbt.com/news/local/breaking-met ... bend-death
Happy Mom

Next

Return to Crime