backstageadd ND

Notre Dame Football 2012

Sports Notre Dame, High School athletics, etc. All goes inside!

Re: Notre Dame Football 2012

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:26 am

Congratulations Notre Dame!! Well Deserved!!!

Notre Dame football: Irish again make a stand

By BOB WIENEKE - Follow me @bobwienekeNDI South Bend Tribune

1:03 a.m. EST, November 25, 2012
LOS ANGELES -- Manti Te'o urged the Notre Dame fans to cheer louder. Brian Kelly distributed hugs. The Irish players sprinted toward their cheering section, one that serenaded the team with a loud "Let's Go Irish" as the clock wound down.

A surreal regular season ended with a reality that still feels like a dream. Top-ranked and 12-0 Notre Dame will play for the national championship, its 22-13 victory over USC Saturday night in front of a sellout crowd of 93,607 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum clinching the trip to Miami for the Jan. 7 BCS Championship.

Yes, it was a joyous celebration on the field. And there was one in the locker room to match.

"It was," Irish coach Brian Kelly said, "as you would have expected."

Many didn't expect much out of this season. There was a tough schedule. There were key losses to graduation and to injury. And the Irish were coming off back-to-back 8-5 seasons.

Throw in uncertainty at quarterback.

Saturday night's victory over unranked and now 7-5 USC wasn't drop-dead gorgeous, but it certainly was beautiful in the eyes of the Irish.

The difference in this one? There were many.

It started and ended with ND's championship-caliber defense, which is one win away from simply being a championship defense. There were some penalties, but the exclamation point came late in the fourth quarter with the Trojans knocking on the door and trying to pull within 22-20.

The nation's stingiest defense -- it entered the game allowing 10 points per game -- kept the Trojans out of the end zone. Four plays from the Irish 1-yard line, including three runs, were turned back. ND took over on downs with 2:33 left.

"Unbelievable goal-line stand," Kelly said.

Special teams made a significant contribution. Kyle Brindza kicked five field goals, including a 52-yarder on the final play of the first half that is the second-longest in school history. His five field goals tied a school record, making it the fifth time an Irish kicker has kicked that many field goals in a game.

He now has 23 on the season, two more than John Carney’s shattered single-season school record.

Then there was the quarterback play. Last year, when USC won in South Bend, Matt Barkley was considered the difference. This year, both teams started redshirt freshmen, but ND's Everett Golson was making his 10th career start, SC's Max Wittek his first.

Wittek threw two interceptions, while Golson, who wasn't as statistically dazzling as he was last week against Wake Forest, remained unbeaten (10-0) as a starter. Only Bob Williams has won more consecutive starts as an Irish QB (11) to start a career.

If you're handing out helmet stickers, though, start with senior running back Theo Riddick.

Heck, give him two. Riddick who gained tough yards early and just kept on gaining tough yards throughout as Notre Dame built an early lead and never relinquished it. Riddick finished with 146 rushing yards on 20 carries and 33 more on three receptions.

Riddick's nine-yard touchdown run late in the first quarter put the Irish up 10-0.

After USC scored on the first play of the second quarter to trim ND's lead to 10-7, it was a battle to maintain the lead, a battle the Irish won, which in turn won them a trip to Miami.

Unranked at the beginning of the season, ND charged up the polls, reaching No. 1 last week after Oregon and Kansas State, the two teams ahead of it in the BCS standings, lost on the same night.

That put destiny in the hands of the Irish, and they didn't let go.

"Ecstatic," Riddick said outside the Irish locker room. "That's the only word I can say right now."
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:44 am

Notre Dame's Te'o wins Lombardi Award

11:19 p.m. CST, December 5, 2012
HOUSTON -- Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o continued picked up more hardware on Wednesday by winning the Lombardi Award as the nation's top lineman or linebacker.

In addition to winning the Nagurski Award for the top defensive player and the Butkus Award as the best linebacker, Te'o is also a finalist for the Heisman Trophy. The winner will be announced Saturday with Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel and Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein the other finalists.

Te'o is the fifth Irish player to win the Lombardi Award and first since Aaron Taylor in 1993.

A senior linebacker from Hawaii, Te'o recorded seven interceptions and 103 tackles this year.

Other finalists for the Lombardi Award were South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, Alabama offensive lineman Barrett Jones and Georgia outside linebacker Jarvis Jones.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... 6131.story
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:09 pm

So much for a 4 year body of work actually meaning something.. A Freshman wins the Heisman....NOT right!

As Brian Kelly said..."If Te'o doesn't win the Heisman they need to just make it an offensive award.
Happy Mom

Postby dunk50 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:23 am

Just politics HM, a freshman for crying out loud! :naughty:
Military at 17, 7th SFG Ft. Bragg, 10th SFG Bad Tolz, 5th SFG Nam, 34 Years South Bend Police and retired. Should be fishin but I'm on here!
dunk50

Postby BobbyBeetleMishawaka » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:24 am

dunk50 wrote:Just politics HM, a freshman for crying out loud! :naughty:

Dunk is right. Just got an outcome similar to the recent presidential election.
THE ONLY REASON
TO BE AGAINST VOTER ID
IS IF YOU SUPPORT VOTER FRAUD.

-- Bill Adams
BobbyBeetleMishawaka

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:42 am

Notre Dame football: Finishing 2nd doesn't mute Te'o's message or his legacy

By ERIC HANSEN - Follow me @hansenNDInsider South Bend Tribune

12:04 a.m. EST, December 9, 2012
NEW YORK – On a night that could have been the pinnacle in a career that has taken a dizzying, almost vertical, ascent, Manti Te'o almost made history twice.

Hours before Texas A&M 20-year-old redshirt freshman quarterback Johnny Manziel denied the Notre Dame senior linebacker the distinction of being the first exclusively defensive player ever to win the Heisman Trophy, Saturday night at the Best Buy Theater, the event

organizers politely but firmly denied the Laie, Hawaii, native his desire to dress for success in the manner in which he wanted.

Wearing an i’e.

That’s a toga-like mat popular in Samoan culture, or as Te’o himself called it “a skirt thing worn by the men” on special occasions. Occasions that include weddings, funerals, building of new houses, church events, tattooing, and appointing of a new chief in a village.

But apparently not Heisman coronations.

“They asked me to just wear this,” he said of his tux, which he subsequently adorned with a yellow lei and a green garland draped over his shoulders that was so massive it looked like it was wrested from Wrigley Field. “They just didn’t think it would be appropriate for this event.”

It turned out to be Manziel’s night anyway, at least where the 928-person Heisman electorate was concerned. Manziel, only the third freshman to be invited to New York as a finalist since that practice started in 1982, walked away as the first freshman to actually win the award.

Manziel amassed 2,029 points and 474 first-place votes, winning all but one of the six geographical regions – the Midwest. He was named first, second or third on 92 percent of the ballots.

“I came a long way,” Te’o said afterward. “That’s something to look at. Congratulations to Johnny. He deserves it. He had a wonderful season, and I’m just relieved. Now it’s time to get ready for ’Bama.

“I can’t really describe it. It’s that burn that’s saying ‘You’ve got to get better.’ It’s motivation. I always wanted to be the best, and I’ll use it as motivation to be the best I can be. I have a lot of work to do and I’m just excited to get back and get things cracking.”

The top-ranked Irish (12-0) face No. 2 but 10-point favorite Alabama (12-1) Jan. 7 in the BCS National Championship Game at Miami.

Instead of Te’o becoming the eighth Heisman winner for Notre Dame, he settles in as the fourth runner-up in school history and the first since wide receiver/kick returner Rocket Ismail got nosed out for the 1990 award by BYU quarterback Ty Detmer, a month before Te’o came
bounding into this life.

The other two ND second-place finishers were Angelo Bertelli (1941), two years before he was named the winner, and Joe Theismann (1970).

Te’o was named on 84 percent of the ballots and garnered 1,706 points, the third-most ever by a runner-up and the most ever by a purely defensive player. His 321 first-place votes were the second-most accumulated by a second-place finisher in the award’s 78-year history.

Kansas State senior quarterback Collin Klein was third with 894 points (60 first-place votes), followed by USC wide receiver Marqise Lee (207) and Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller (144), both sophomores.

Preseason favorite, USC quarterback Matt Barkley, didn’t finish in the top 10, nor did early-season runaway leader, West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith. Two defensive players besides Te’o did – South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney (sixth) and Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones (10th).

“This is a moment I’ve dreamed about since I was a little kid (last year) in the back yard pretending to be Doug Flutie and throwing Hail Marys to my dad,” Manziel said in the moments after he made history.
Manziel and his family also continually tipped their caps to Te’o, who befriended the Aggies QB and invited him to go cliff jumping in Oahu sometime in the offseason, a development that might scare Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin more than letting Manziel be quoted.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, Sumlin wouldn’t let Manziel or any of his other freshmen do media interviews.

Manziel’s father, meanwhile, wore a string of Kukui nuts around his neck, while his mother donned a lei, both beloved symbols in Te’o’s broadening world.

And once the sting fades, the lasting memory of Te’o’s improbable Heisman run connects back to home – both his South Bend one and the people back on the North Shore of Oahu.

“That’s what I want to do, affect people,” Te’o said. “I don’t care about the tackles. I don’t care about the interceptions. All I care is the impact I have on lives, especially the people back home.”

Sometimes he does more than merely impact them. Sometimes he changes a life’s trajectory.

There was the little girl at the South Bend Center for the Homeless in June of 2010 that he let climb on him like a jungle gym as they watched the movie “Finding Nemo” together on a rainy day.

“I want to be a TV star,” she told him, showing off a smile that seemed to sparkle, even with two front teeth missing. “What do you think?”

Te’o told her that day to dream big. On Saturday night, he showed just what can happen if you do.

Then there’s Micaela Kauhane, a fourth-grader at Punahou School when Te’o was a senior there. He was her mentor that year in a school-sponsored program, and Te’o promised her that he would give her his playing gloves after Punahou won the state title.

Not only did Te’o remember and keep the promise in the emotional moments following what was then the biggest victory of his life, he stayed in touch with Micaela and her best friend, Rachel, long after the program ended.

“When I go home, I usually take her and Rachel out to McDonald’s,” Te’o said. “They always want to go to McDonald’s. I take them to McDonald’s and get a bite to eat and just make sure they don’t got boyfriends.

“I’m like their big brother, and she’s just a beautiful soul. When you see kids, there’s an innocence about them that’s just amazing. It reminds you how life used to be and how life was great and you didn’t have all of this on your shoulders.”

Micaela didn’t forget the kindness. Now an eighth-grader and burgeoning long-distance runner, she and Rachel surprised Te’o by flying to Los Angeles with family and cheering him on in ND’s 22-13 victory at USC, the win that sealed the national title game berth.

Back home in Laie Saturday, in the Te’o family’s yard to be exact, family and friends stood 30 deep in anticipation of another defiant burst at conventional thinking by Te’o and Notre Dame in a season full of them. Elsewhere around Oahu, T-shirts celebrating Te’o’s stab at
history, both of the legal and unlicensed variety, were popping up seemingly at every corner.

“His impact is above and beyond anything we’ve ever seen, at least within the era in which I’ve been covering sports,” said Honolulu TV reporter Steve Uyehara, whose TV station, Hawaii News Now, made the 11-hour flight to cover Te’o.

“On the way here, (fellow reporter) Mike Cherry and I were walking through the airport in Honolulu. And a bunch of flight attendants saw us and they saw our cameras, and they knew exactly what we were doing. They started chanting, ‘Manti, Manti, Manti.’

“He’s a rock star there. Whatever he does, he wants to make an impact. He’s using his stage to do that. Whatever he says, people will listen.”

And when they listen, they tend to believe.

On Friday and Saturday, Te’o’s path crossed with four of ND’s former Heisman Trophy winners – John Lattner, Paul Hornung, John Huarte and Tim Brown.

Perhaps strangely, the Heisman Trophy never came up in conversation. Instead they thanked Te’o for his team sticking together. They thanked him and the team for overcoming adversity. And they thanked him for bringing Notre Dame football back – in their minds – for good

Staff writer Eric Hansen:
ehansen@sbtinfo.com
574-235-6112

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/ ... ory?page=2
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:53 am

Notre Dame notifies winners, losers of BCS ticket lottery

By Kelli Stopczynski (kstopczynski@wsbt.com)

5:44 p.m. EST, December 13, 2012

The first thing Juel Kruse and her 16-year-old grandson Colton did when they saw the “Golden email” saying they won two tickets through the Anthony Travel portion of Notre Dame’s BCS lottery was give each other a high five.

“I don’t know if either of us really believed it at first,” she said, her eyes welling with tears. “[I] just get emotional because we’re so excited about going.

She becomes choked up, she said, because she’s such a huge Notre Dame fan. She even has a bedroom in her St. Joseph County house full of sports memorabilia from the university.

“We support all the sports at Notre Dame. We’ve been a hockey family for years, so we go to all the hockey games. And I’m a season ticket holder for the women’s basketball team, I do volunteer work for the promotions department,” she said.

Colton, a Penn High School junior, said he realizes it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity.

“I’d rather go there than get anything for my birthday or Christmas,” he said.

Kruse was one of more than 50,000 people who entered Notre Dame’s lottery to try and get their hands on a ticket to the Jan. 7 game where the Fighting Irish will take on Alabama. But the University said it only had 17,000 tickets to sell.

According to Notre Dame Senior Assistant Athletic Director Josh Berlo, 2,500 of the tickets went to students who entered a student lottery through the university. An alumnus donated a huge chunk of money so the winning students would only have to pay $150 for their ticket rather than the $350 face value.

The rest of the tickets went to people who entered and won a different university lottery, Berlo said. Those tickets sold for $350 each. Since each person who entered the second lottery could request up to two tickets, there was demand for more than 100,000, he added.

Notre Dame football players and coaching staff also had access to tickets, but Berlo declined to disclose those numbers.

University employee Ian Hogan was not one of the lucky ones. His email from the ticket lottery arrived Tuesday evening. Neither he nor his wife won. Both applied.

“I was really hopeful, especially because my wife went to school here and she was a Monogram winner and she was on the rowing team. So I thought with her application we had a pretty good chance,” he said.

Hogan is still hopeful two tickets will pop up, but said he won’t pay more than face value.
“I’m not independently wealthy,” he laughed.

Kruse said she knows plenty of people just like Hogan – who entered the lottery to buy tickets but weren’t selected. Even though she received her e-mail Dec. 4, she said she’s still in shock that she’ll be in Miami cheering on the Irish.

“Just oh my gosh, we’re some of the very lucky people that are gonna get to watch that game!” she gushed.

Kruse and everyone else who entered the Notre Dame lottery had to pay a non-refundable, $25 fee just to enter. Quick math reveals that $25 multiplied by the more than 50,000 people who entered is easily more than $1,250,000 the university collected.

That money, Berlo said, is being used to cover the cost of running the lottery – including credit card fees, internet transaction fees, shipping the tickets to lottery winners and other mailings about the BCS.

Tickets will be shipped via Federal Express to winners on Dec. 17. Students who bought tickets through the lottery have to pick them up at the “will call” window in Miami.

All 17,000 tickets are currently locked up in a secure location on campus, Berlo said.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/ ... 8306.story
Happy Mom

Postby bdcbbq » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:10 am

This might be a good time to spruce up the extra bedrooms in your house and practice a few breakfast dishes. SB through Notre Dame is going to have a revenue increase during next year's football season. I wonder how much of the hotel/motel tax revenue will get sucked in to the CFHOF.

I think my BIL picked up at least 2 tickets.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby Happy Mom » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:48 am

My niece is a Senior at Alabama and she got tickets through the lottery. Alabama did the lottery by number of credit hours for students, which I think is the fair way of doing it. ND just opened it up to all students regardless of credit hours.... :D
Happy Mom

Postby bdcbbq » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:52 am

I suspect Alabama has more part time students than Notre Dame.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

PreviousNext

Return to Sports