backstageadd ND

Attack at Mishawaka Dog Park leaves One Dog Dead

Attack at Mishawaka Dog Park leaves One Dog Dead

Postby Happy Mom » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:47 am

Attack at Mishawaka park sends three dogs into emergency surgery
"It was vicious, it was horrible."

By Tony Spehar - tspehar@abc57.com

Story Updated: Jun 14, 2012 at 10:56 PM EDT

MISHAWAKA, Ind. – A vicious attack by three Greyhounds at the Prickett Marina Dog Park off Jefferson Boulevard in Mishawaka sent three small dogs into emergency surgery on Tuesday afternoon.

Becky Nickerson was walking her dogs at the park around 3 p.m when a man brought three greyhounds into the dog run.

"One of them had come up to our dogs and had gotten aggressive, growling, snapping and trying to get at him,” described Nickerson. “We pulled our dog back and they ran away, so after that we decided to leave."

Nickerson had just reached the parking lot when she heard screams coming from the dog park.

"We turned to look and we could see the Greyhound had that little dog in its mouth,” she described. “It was just shaking it like crazy, like it was a toy."

Nickerson said she immediately ran towards the fight. One of the Greyhounds was mauling a Yorkie/Katan mix and the other two were attacking two Cairn Terriers. The owners of all the dogs were struggling to separate the animals.

"Got about halfway there and I could see the lady pretty much playing a tug of war with the Greyhound trying to get her dog away,” explained Nickerson. “The other couple that was out there, they were beating on it and the guy was trying to get the dog to let go and they were screaming and yelling."

Eventually the dogs were separated. The owner of the Yorkie received a bite wound to the hand. The owners of the dogs who were attacked immediately rushed the animals to local pet hospitals where they underwent surgery. According to the police report the Yorkie had several broken ribs and both Cairn Terriers received severe cuts. All of the injured dogs may not survive.

"The littlest one you could tell it was limp, I mean it just wasn't moving,” Nickerson described. “I couldn't even tell if it was dead or alive."

The Mishawaka Police Department has identified the owner of the Greyhounds but did not release his name to ABC57. They have forwarded the investigation into the attack to the St. Joseph County Humane Society.
http://www.abc57.com/home/top-stories/A ... 43225.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: Attack at Mishawaka Dog Park leaves One Dog Dead

Postby Happy Mom » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:53 am

UPDATE: The yorkie involved in the vicious attack at a local dog park has died. A friend of the family tells ABC57 News it didn't make it after surgery.
ABC57-Facebook
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby johndobee » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Love dogs, but I would have killed those Greyhounds with my bare hands if it had one of my dogs in it's mouth. Why someone didn't tear those Greys to shreds is beyond me. This is pretty suprising really. I've never known a Greyhound to be aggresive at all. And it was more than one Greyhound being aggresive? Any chance they were rescue dogs from that psycho in Osceola? Something had to have happened to those dogs to make them like that.
Conservative Union Member (yes, there are lots of us).
johndobee

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:30 am

Owner of the dog killed in Mishawaka park attack speaks out
Wants to make park safer and defends the dogs who killed her pets

By Tony Spehar - tspehar@abc57.com

MISHAWAKA, Ind. – The owner of the Yorkie killed after a brutal dog attack at the Prickett Marina Dog Park on Tuesday shared her story with ABC57 to appeal to the community to make the park safer and to defend the three Greyhounds who attacked her pet.

Patty Parker took her dog Tatum to Prickett Marina on Tuesday afternoon at around 3 p.m. and met up with friends who had brought their two Cairn Terriers to the park. She had entered the park with the owner of the Greyhounds and said she wasn’t at all concerned about the larger dogs interacting with Tatum.

"I had taken him many times to the dog park, I had never, ever, ever had an issue there," Parker explained. “I saw a Greyhound coming up around him, I wasn’t really afraid.”

Tatum was wandering through the park when Parker called him back.

"He took off running toward me and the dog, the greyhound, took off after him and snatched him," she described.

In a split-second, Parker said there was a chaotic frenzy as the Greyhound shook Tatum in its mouth. The other two Greyhounds jumped into the attack and also went after the two small Cairn Terriers belonging to Parker’s friends. She said every person in the park ran to try and break up the brawl.

“It just happened fast, furious, horribly,” she explained. “I just kept praying, I'm a Christian, I just kept saying God, take care of him God, just take care of him.”

Eventually the dogs were separated. Parker immediately rushed Tatum to the nearest animal hospital for emergency surgery.

"His one lung was deflated, his chest wall had multiple holes, had some shredding to it," Parker, a Registered Nurse, described. “His heart was bruised.”

Tatum died at the hospital later on Tuesday evening. Parkers said the two Cairn Terriers that were also attacked suffered severe cuts, but are expected to survive.

Now Parker is determined to make the park safer, she is pushing for the City of Mishawaka to divide the park and separate small and large dogs.

"I just want to make sure things are corrected and I believe with this tragedy things will be corrected,” she explained. “It would've been so simple to avoid this."

She also explained that she’s sympathetic towards the Greyhounds that attacked Tatum. According to the Mishawaka Police Department’s report on the attack the Greyhounds are named Butter Rum, Al Kiowa-Rocky and Bush. ABC57 has found that they are all retired racing dogs who were adopted through Greyhound rescue agencies. The Greyhound racing industry has received criticism for training dogs to race by teaching them to attack small animals.

"People have said, do you want those dogs put down?” Parker explained. “Those dogs killed my dog, but I'm an animal lover and I do believe those dogs did only what they had been trained to do."

St. Joseph County Humane Society officials told Parker that the owner of the Greyhounds should have had the dogs muzzled according to local rules.

The fate of the Greyhounds is still in question. The Lexus Project, a national organization dedicated to offering legal defense to Greyhounds on “death row,” has told ABC57 that they are attempting to intervene on behalf of the dogs in order to keep them from being put down.
http://www.abc57.com/home/top-stories/O ... 64245.html
Happy Mom

Return to Everything Pets