backstageadd ND

Hoarders

Re: Hoarders

Postby bdcbbq » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:05 pm

:?:
bob_rx2000 wrote:What never fails to stun me about shows like this one, or the various "judge" shows, or Dr. Phil, or (fill in the blank) is why on earth these people want to expose their dysfunction to the world?

I can actually understand this. What I can't understand is why people watch them.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby backstagedee » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:19 pm

bdcbbq wrote::?:
bob_rx2000 wrote:What never fails to stun me about shows like this one, or the various "judge" shows, or Dr. Phil, or (fill in the blank) is why on earth these people want to expose their dysfunction to the world?

I can actually understand this. What I can't understand is why people watch them.

Ding! Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding! 1 more beer credit for the BBQ dude.
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Postby bob_rx2000 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:53 am

bdcbbq wrote::?:

I don't understand either group of people. But BBQ, if you can explain why some of them want to air their dysfunction, I'd like to understand...
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby bdcbbq » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:29 am

bob_rx2000 wrote:I don't understand either group of people. But BBQ, if you can explain why some of them want to air their dysfunction, I'd like to understand...

My theory is that people go on these shows for attention and to feel important. I'm sure after the shows tape they have parties to watch themselves in their fame and glory. Most of this is driven by low-self esteem and by participating they feel important. There is also a financial incentive that some are after. If you think about some of the people on some of the shows they are low income so a few thousand dollars, a plane ride, hotel, and a few meals is a big deal to them. There is probably strong characteristics of or criteria that meet a diagnosis of narcissistic or histrionic personality disorder. Some may have borderline personality disorder issues and use this forum as a way to get revenge.

Bottom line is greed and attention.

The ones who watch the shows get a vicarious thrill of superiority over the people on the show. Personally, I just feel pity for the people on the shows. I have never watched any of these shows longer than about 5 minutes and that is usually when flipping through the channels and I'll pause because something catches my attention and then I go on.

It would be interesting to do some follow up interviews on the experiences of the people on Maury, etc. and how they feel about it a year or so later.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby bdcbbq » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:22 am

Interestingly there was a story on the subject of reality show people who have recently committed suicide on the Today show shortly after I posted the above.

If this link doesn't work the clip is available on the website.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/40106026#40106026

Another story on them.

http://www.thewrap.com/television/article/thewrap-investigates-11-players-have-committed-suicide-3409

I should point out that there is some difference between a reality shows and the Maury/Judge Judy type shows.
bdcbbq

bdcbbq

Postby southsider » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:23 pm

As for the people who watch the show - its kinda like a bad accident, you cant help but look.....

My theory about the hoarders shown, are that these people are very low income, most have disabilities, and absolutely have mental issues, mostly OCD/ PTSD/Compulsive shopping.

These folks truly have no other options to clean up their homes as they are physically, mentally, and financially unable to do so. The reasons stated for going on the show is to avoid having their families disown/cut off communication them (because their stuff is more important than family), many risk losing their homes by eviction or condemnation, also in many cases APS/CPS is already involved and have given the caretakers/parents an ultimatum to clean up by a set date, or have the adult/children removed from the home, and/or risk astronomical fines by municipalities.

I think that the good thing about this particular show is that they offer counseling, and ongoing mental care and access to resources that will help them keep their homes organized and clean and help to work through the underlying issues (OCD) if they choose to do so.

Its no different than the show Intervention where they air out peoples addictions, their family issues and the struggles both the addicts and the families go through. Both are very very sad but both are very real.

I dont think that Hoarders showcases the same personality types that an actual contest like Idol, the Great Race, or talk shows like Maury...
southsider

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:59 am

Hoarders had "Loyd" on Monday night and this man was truly evil and sick. His daughters had had nothing to do with him in years because of his abusive manner. His property was atrocious!. While the professionals, who were helping him, kept saying he had dementia, but the daughter said that he was the same nasty, horrible way growing up. She said he was just basically an evil, sick man and had been that way his whole life. He was cussing and ranting at everyone... :shock:
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby southsider » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:50 pm

new episode on tonight featuring a man who is forced to sleep in his car due to his wifes hoarding and another woman who hoards stolen property.
southsider

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:38 pm

southsider wrote:new episode on tonight featuring a man who is forced to sleep in his car due to his wifes hoarding and another woman who hoards stolen property.

watching and taping right now as I clean out drawers and closets and start pitching things...Watching these people is great incentive to clean my House and never let it get near that disgusting.... :shock:

The nutcase tonight just said, " throwing stuff out on a Hoarder is not cool $#!t!" :roll:
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby southsider » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:47 pm

Tonights episode is about a 14 year old....
southsider

PreviousNext

Return to Books, Movies, TV