backstageadd ND

AMC Movies

Re: AMC Movies

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:36 pm

York, they had an "Airport" marathon... I haven't seen those in years! :D
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby York » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:47 pm

Happy Mom wrote:York, they had an "Airport" marathon... I haven't seen those in years! :D

Yeah, awesome! I own the Airport Terminal DVD Pack which holds the four Airport movies. The first three are good and as much as I love and admire the Concorde, Airport '79 is a really stupid movie - though there are some cool parts. People that I know that have flown on the Concorde say it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. That said, I think it would be awesome. Historically, the Concorde was only allowed to land in U.S. coastal cities (due to noise) but it did make several special trips to Detroit and Chicago.

:P
York

Postby backstagedee » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Any disaster flick that had George Kennedy is worth a view. He's a pretty good pilot too.
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:50 pm

backstagedee wrote:Any disaster flick that had George Kennedy is worth a view. He's a pretty good pilot too.

I loved George Kennedy!!!
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby backstagedee » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:54 pm

Why the past tense? He's only 84. You still have a shot at him if you hurry...
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:02 pm

backstagedee wrote:Why the past tense? He's only 84. You still have a shot at him if you hurry...

OMG, I thought he had died years ago...
Biography for
George Kennedy (I) More at IMDbPro »
advertisement
Date of Birth
18 February 1925, New York City, New York, USA

Height
6' 3" (1.91 m)

Mini Biography

A World War II veteran, sandy-haired, tall and burly George Kennedy at one stage in his career cornered the market at playing tough, no-nonsense characters who were either quite crooked or possessed hearts of gold. Kennedy has notched up an impressive 200+ appearances in both TV and film, and is well respected within the Hollywood community. He started out in TV westerns in the late 1950s and early 1960s ("Have Gun - Will Travel" (1957), "Rawhide" (1959), "Maverick" (1957), "Colt .45" (1957), among others) before scoring minor roles in films including Lonely Are the Brave (1962), The Sons of Katie Elder (1965) and The Flight of the Phoenix (1965). The late 1960s was a very busy period for Kennedy, and he was strongly in favor with casting agents, appearing in Hurry Sundown (1967), The Dirty Dozen (1967) and scoring an Oscar win as Best Supporting Actor for his performance in Cool Hand Luke (1967). The disaster film boom of the 1970s was kind to Kennedy, too, and his talents were in demand for Airport (1970) and the three subsequent sequels, as a grizzled cop in Earthquake (1974), plus the buddy/road film Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974) as vicious bank robber Red Leary.

The 1980s saw Kennedy appear in a mishmash of roles, playing various characters; however, Kennedy and Leslie Nielsen surprised everyone with their comedic talents in the hugely successful The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (1988), and the two screen veterans hammed it up again in, The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear (1991), plus Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult (1994).

Kennedy has remained busy in Hollywood and has lent his distinctive voice to the animated Cats Don't Dance (1997) and the children's action film Small Soldiers (1998). A Hollywod stalwart for nearly 50 years, he is one of the most enjoyable actors to watch on screen.
IMDb Mini Biography By: firehouse44

Spouse
Joan McCarthy (24 August 1978 - present)
Norma Wurman (22 November 1973 - 11 August 1978) (divorced)
Norma Wurman (23 June 1959 - 1971) (divorced) 2 children
? (? - ?) (divorced)
Happy Mom

Postby York » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:07 pm

Isn't it funny the Airport movies had casts of stars like this:

Burt Lancaster, Dean Martin, Jean Seberg, Jacqueline Bisset, George Kennedy, Helen Hayes, Van Heflin, Maureen Stapleton, Lloyd Nolan, Gary Collins, Charlton Heston, Gloria Swanson, Helen Reddy, Linda Blair, Dana Andrews, Sid Caesar, Myrna Loy, Nancy Olson, Jack Lemmon, Lee Grant, Joseph Cotten, Olivia de Havilland, James Stewart, Darren McGavin, Christopher Lee, Kathleen Quinlan, Maidie Norman ...

Wonder what the appeal was?
York

Postby Big Kahuna » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:49 pm

All the Airport movies were a riot when they first came out. Leslie Nielson also starred in the short lived "Police Squad" tv show that had the same humor. You had to be observant to see it in the background.

Big Kahuna

Postby backstagedee » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:57 pm

Umm, BK, do you mean Airplane!?
York, I'm surprised you missed Charlton Heston in Airport '75 (my favorite of the series)
backstagedee

Postby York » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:59 pm

backstagedee wrote:Umm, BK, do you mean Airplane!?
York, I'm surprised you missed Charlton Heston in Airport '75 (my favorite of the series)

Sir, I mentioned Mr. Heston. Haven't watched '75 in years. '77 is my favorite.
York

PreviousNext

Return to Books, Movies, TV