backstageadd ND

Recycle your books

Recycle your books

Postby lovechild » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:05 pm

This is something that my mom has done for years and I continue. When we are done reading a book, we leave it at a public place (doctor's office, McD's, restaurant, south shore, airport, etc...) and leave a little note in the front saying that this book was put here for you to read, please take it home and finish it and leave it somewhere else for someone to read.
That is, unless we love the book and decide to keep it for ourselves.

Does anyone else go crazy at the library buying the withdrawn books? $1 for a hardback, you can not beat that! Sometimes I even get ones that are still on the bestseller list!
"Love the life you live, live the life you love."
lovechild

Re: Recycle your books

Postby eascheetz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:43 am

I always get great steals on books at Goodwill, whether I use my discount or not!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. -Jimi Hendrix
eascheetz

Postby backstagedee » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:35 pm

Hey, with the precious little retail we have downtown, why not support the used bookstores? We have 2 nice places right downtown run by entertaining characters.
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:34 pm

backstagedee wrote:Hey, with the precious little retail we have downtown, why not support the used bookstores? We have 2 nice places right downtown run by entertaining characters.

Mr. Gerencer the wonderful Teacher who taught at St. Joe for years and died there three years ago, made his students in AP English, go to every small book seller in the area and spend time exploring... That was part of their grade. I went with my sons to several of these 'treasures' and was fascinated.
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby jroyale » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:51 pm

The Griffon on Colfax ave, inbetween LaSalle Grill and Water works. Don't forget Pandora's on the north side, are they still open?
Molon Labe

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
Aristotle
jroyale

Postby Big Kahuna » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:53 pm

I've been meaning to stop into the Griffon for a long time. I hear there's quite a selection.

I'm hoping to find a few books I've been looking for. Maybe they'll have this one....

Big Kahuna

Postby southsider » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:27 pm

I went to the Griffon and got 6 classic books for under $20.00, and the gal was very helpful in suggesting good reads. I went to the used area and they have a great selection of used books too, but ran out of time. I will definitely go back again when I have more time.
southsider

Postby bob_rx2000 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:12 am

lovechild wrote:When we are done reading a book, we leave it at a public place (doctor's office, McD's, restaurant, south shore, airport, etc...) and leave a little note in the front saying that this book was put here for you to read

Hey Lovechild -- I have way more books to get rid of than any 20 doctor's offices would ever want to have placed. Is there an organization that would want them? Do you know if Goodwill takes used books? I'm talking a couple of hundred books here...
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby fairystarz » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:20 am

I know the Salvation Army does Bob...at least I think that's the name of the place over by ND.
And...if you do your own taxes like I do (I use Turbo Tax)...they have a program that you can enter the books in by condition and it will value them for you.
I had a bunch of my brother's Sci-Fi stuff a few years ago and donated them there.
fairystarz

Postby bob_rx2000 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:06 am

fairystarz wrote:I know the Salvation Army does Bob...at least I think that's the name of the place over by ND.
And...if you do your own taxes like I do (I use Turbo Tax)...they have a program that you can enter the books in by condition and it will value them for you.
I had a bunch of my brother's Sci-Fi stuff a few years ago and donated them there.

I actually have a couple of hundred books and I can see the IRS now getting that deduction next year... But at least it is some money to deduct...
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Next

Return to Books, Movies, TV