backstageadd ND

American Sniper

American Sniper

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:09 pm

'American Sniper' smashes box office records
Published January 18, 2015Variety

NOW PLAYING
What made 'American Sniper' a box office blockbuster?
“American Sniper” hit the bullseye, earning an astonishing $90.2 million in its debut weekend.

It is now on pace to decimate records for the Martin Luther King holiday and for the month of January, pulling in roughly $105 million over the four-day period. It’s also a new high-water mark for director Clint Eastwood, whose previous weekend record was the $29.5 million wide-release opening for 2008’s “Gran Torino.” At 84, he’s still got it.

“The movie has become a cultural phenomenon,” said Dan Fellman, Warner Bros. head of domestic distribution. “It tore apart the record book and not by a little. By an enormous amount.”

“American Sniper,” recently picked up Oscar nods for Best Picture and Best Actor for star Bradley Cooper, and the awards buzz only intensified interest in the film. The war drama was co-produced and co-financed by Village Roadshow for less than $60 million.

“American Sniper” wasn’t the only record-breaker. Sony and Screen Gems’ “The Wedding Ringer,” starring Kevin Hart as a best man for hire, is looking to be the number one R-rated comedy opening for the month of January. The film will earned $21 million for the weekend and should pick up $25 million for the four-day holiday. Those numbers are good news for a film that cost $23 million to produce. It also keeps Hart’s box office roll going following his success in recent hits such as “Ride Along” and “Think Like a Man.”

“Kevin Hart really is that guy that everybody wants to hang with,” said Rory Bruer, Sony Pictures president of worldwide distribution. “Not only is he always funny, but he’s that guy that you want to sit down and have a beer with. He exudes charisma.”

The Weinstein Co.’s “Paddington” opened to $19.3 million from 3,303 screens for the weekend and a third-place finish. By Monday, however, it could supplant “The Wedding Ringer” as the holiday’s second highest grossing film as it is also expected to earn roughly $25 million over the four-day period. The Weinstein Company picked up U.S. distribution rights from StudioCanal, which financed the $55 million adaptation of Michael Bond’s beloved series about a talking bear with a penchant for marmalade sandwiches.

“American Sniper’s” success was bad news for the weekend’s other adult drama, “Blackhat.” Michael Mann’s look at the way we hack now flopped, earning a doleful $4 million from 2,567 locations for the weekend and should make $4.6 million over the holiday. That’s a dreadful result for the $70 million production and the worst of Mann’s career. It’s lower even than the modest $10 million the studio projected “Blackhat” would pull in over the four-day period. Legendary Pictures backed the film, with Universal distributing.

The top five was rounded out by holdovers, “Taken 3″ and “Selma.” Liam Neeson’s latest vigilante flick fell sharply in its sophomore frame, dropping more than 60% to earn $14 million over the weekend and bringing its total to $62.8 million.

Despite being snubbed in several major Oscar categories, Paramount Pictures’ “Selma” seemed to capitalize on the Martin Luther King holiday, earning $8.3 million. It should earn $10.3 million over the four-day period. The Civil Rights drama has made nearly $28 million since premiering in limited release on Christmas.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... e-records/
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: American Sniper

Postby Xenokilla » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:05 pm

mmm propaganda.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
On twitter: @Xenokilla
Check my game reviews and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/xenokillaoftaw
Xenokilla

Postby bdcbbq » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:33 pm

Went today. A great movie.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby Kingsman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:10 pm

Interesting fact on AS's huge opening weekend: Last Friday's opening day gross was $30 million; Selma's gross after 3 weeks is $28 million.
Kingsman

Postby bdcbbq » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:56 am

Kingsman wrote:Interesting fact on AS's huge opening weekend: Last Friday's opening day gross was $30 million; Selma's gross after 3 weeks is $28 million.

Roughly 100 million over a 4 day weekend.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:18 pm

Bradley Cooper Proves He’s A Class Act By Doing Something AWESOME For Veterans

Michael Cantrell

coopervets

Bradley Cooper, star of the Oscar nominated film American Sniper decided to do something really cool for veterans by holding a special screening of the movie with a group of them at Brooke Army Medical Center, located in San Antonio, Texas.

It’s so awesome when celebrities like Cooper take time out of their busy schedule to show honor and respect to our veterans, helping them create positive memories they’ll cherish for a lifetime.

This is simply fantastic.

From Breitbart:

Patients and staff from Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas received a special visit from American Sniper actor and Academy Award nominee Bradley Cooper Jan. 14 as they previewed the film two days ahead of its nationwide release.

As American Sniper made its debut in the medical center’s auditorium, Cooper was in another wing of the hospital, quietly visiting patients and staff while passing out autographed T-shirts and movie posters.

According to BAMC, a Marine in the audience stood up following a screening of the film and emotionally thanked Cooper for his genuine portrayal of the fallen hero. “I feel like you are one of my brothers,” he said. “I think you did really well and I just want to say ‘Thank you.’”

Cooper then engaged the audience members in a Q&A session about his preparation for the role of Chris Kyle, saying, “Making this movie was a life-changing experience,” he said. “I was terrified when I started. I didn’t know if I could actually get to a place where I would believe that I was Chris [Kyle].”

Cooper then went on to sign more autographs and spent some time with an amputee veteran.

The Oscar nominated actor was quick to give praise to Wayne Kyle, Chris Kyle’s father, for coming up with the idea to do the screening and for doing so much to honor our vets.

Classy.

The men and women who make up our military sacrifice so much it’s hard to fathom. Whether it’s their time, their health, or even their lives, they’re willing to give it all in order to protect the freedoms we enjoy on a daily basis.

Celebrities aren’t the only ones who should be helping veterans. We should all be doing something to give back to these warriors, whether it’s through giving to charity, or volunteering time to help care for them in some capacity.

Hopefully Cooper’s act will inspire others in Hollywood and around the country to make caring for our vets a higher priority.

Read more at http://www.youngcons.com/bradley-cooper ... lomHHGW.99
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Return to Books, Movies, TV