backstageadd ND

Plain sandwiches

Plain sandwiches

Postby raycyrx » Mon May 31, 2010 11:46 pm

I'm someone who can (understatedly) be described as a fussy eater. I've been ordering plain Filet-o-fish sandwiches since before the "Have it your way" campaign at Burger King. This was still when Burger Chef was McD's main competition.

In recent years, when ordering a "plain Filet-o-fish" I've run into having to return the sandwich because it has cheese on it. I then get a puzzled look from the clerk who says, "with cheese IS plain." I thought it was just a dumb clerk issue, but now my son who works at a Mancino's franchise has also said that if someone ordered a plain sandwich, he'd assume it would include cheese on it as well.

When did "plain" suddenly come to mean 'put cheese on it?'
The Church is not a hotel for saints. It is a hospital for sinners.
St. Augustine
raycyrx

Re: Plain sandwiches

Postby bob_rx2000 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:12 am

There are nine (9) definitions for "plain" as an adjective and one (1) as an adverb listed at www.dictionary.com. None of them refer to fish sandwiches with or without cheese.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby NMSB » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:27 am

Plain in restaurant speak is defined as adding no condiments to the sandwich. If the fish sandwich comes with fish and cheese, then a plain one consists of bun, fish, cheese, bun. Which is what I expect when ordering from McD's. With the quality of help in local fast food restaurants, I would be very specific in what I wanted on my sandwich, which is no guarantee that's how I would receive it.
I love South Bend so I read and post comments on South Bend Forum.
NMSB

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:39 am

ray, just say "Plain with no cheese" or "just fish and bun...period!"
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby raycyrx » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:46 am

NMSB wrote:Plain in restaurant speak is defined as adding no condiments to the sandwich. If the fish sandwich comes with fish and cheese, then a plain one consists of bun, fish, cheese, bun. Which is what I expect when ordering from McD's. With the quality of help in local fast food restaurants, I would be very specific in what I wanted on my sandwich, which is no guarantee that's how I would receive it.

If that had been the standard all along, I'd get it. It's the CHANGE that's confusing to me. After all, if the tartar sauce (that is part of a 'regular' Filet-o-fish) were to come on a "plain filet" then I'd understand. But again, I've been ordering plain filets for almost 40 years, and it's only in the last couple that this change has come about.

ray, just say "Plain with no cheese" or "just fish and bun...period!"

Pretty much what I've been doing lately.
The Church is not a hotel for saints. It is a hospital for sinners.
St. Augustine
raycyrx

Postby backstagedee » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:33 pm

Ray, are you sure it's really still fish?
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Return to Restaurant reviews