backstageadd ND

Trio's

Trio's

Postby SeanD » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:01 am

Can't believe no one has posted anything for Trio's yet. This food was AMAZING. Over priced, but still amazing. It seems like Jazz music creates a comfortable ambiance in the restaurant and makes for a good dining experience. I went there with my girlfriend; she had the stuffed chicken and I had the white fish (the cheapest of the fish selections haha). Every piece of food on mine and her plate was 100% top notch. The side of creole green beans were even delicious. Our server was very attentive as well.

Only two complaints:
1) on the expensive side, probably expect $23 to $30 per person with drinks
2) The seating host was bad. He never hung up my girlfriends jacket, he just threw it over a chair in the coat room. He was also just hanging out and chatting with people on the bar side the whole time.

Overall though, it was a great experience and a real treat.
SeanD

Re: Trio's

Postby bob_rx2000 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:09 am

Sean,

It has been a bit since I've been there (Mrs-Bob_Rx and I are cutting down expenses...) but there are reviews of Trios in the restaurant review sections.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby Happy Mom » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:36 am

bob_rx2000 wrote:Sean,

It has been a bit since I've been there (Mrs-Bob_Rx and I are cutting down expenses...) but there are reviews of Trios in the restaurant review sections.

Trios - Downtown South Bend

Postby bob_rx2000 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:45 pm
Saturday evening was the final concert of the season at the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center for the Bob_Rx’s and the dinner gang. We decided to have our final concert dinner at Trios, located in downtown South Bend. Trios is on Michigan just south of the Morris Inn. Reservations are appreciated and parking is fairly easy, but of course, they suffer as do all the downtown businesses from the city’s lack of a coherent retail parking strategy. You might get lucky and get a space right in front, but plan on a block or two of walking to guide your footware and outerware selections.

I’ve always liked Trios décor, which I think of as being a modern take on jazz club / speakeasy art-deco. There is a roomy bar area where the band plays and equally roomy dining area on opposite sides of an open hallway. They have nice private dining areas located to the rear of the restaurant. We arrived for our pre-dinner drinks but discovered that a wedding party (a large one!) had simply filled the bar area as well as provided a string quartet, and our party repaired to our table for our drinks. It was amusing to watch the wedding party, with a number of well-dressed little kids, as they prepared to go to a dining room but I could have done without the (not too good) string quartet. The bartenders at Trios makes a solid drink, generously poured and they have a good stock of top-shelf liquor including the favorite scotch (Talaskar) and gin (Bombay Blue Sapphire) for our party.

Trios serves a superb sautéed sea bass and you have a choice of three different sauces so that two people may have the same entrée and still end up with significantly different dishes. I like the lime / tomato / basil sauce and had that with my entrée along with another at the table while a third party had a different sauce. The fish is crusted nicely, served with seasonal vegetables and a choice of potato, and all three of us enjoyed it greatly. I don’t know if I do this dish justice, this fish flakes to the fork and melts in your mouth. The lime/basil/tomato sauce is seasoned lightly and doesn’t overpower the fish but has a slightly tart kick. Two others had the sea scallops and likewise pronounced them excellent. This surprised nobody as we’ve all had scallops at Trios before and found them wonderful. Our last member had a steak and confessed that while it was good, it just wasn’t quite what a dedicated steak house might provide, so he’ll go back to the signature chop. For dessert, those who partook uniformly had the wonderful bread pudding and sinned a bit more with ice cream. You can go a long way south before you’ll find warm bread pudding dripping with cinnamon as good as this version and melting ice cream with it is a wonderful, but sinful delight.

A word about our server – she was fun, attentive and at the same time unobtrusive. I’ve been going to Trios since it opened and I’ve watched the service mature to where the servers are professional and what you’d expect for fine dining in a club atmosphere. I hope that the others tipped her well too; she earned it. A couple of drinks each, two entrees & desserts and a good tip and I escaped for a tad over $100. To my mind and for my dining dollar, Trios is well worth a trip to DTSB.
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Wilson » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:01 pm

I would recommend Trio's for both lunch and dinner, after work cocktails also. I have been there many times and have not been disappointed. As far as price, you need to know going in the price range of the places you dine. They weren't any different in price range than most other places of their caliber. I didn't go away feeling cheated in the least. I may not go often, but I look forward to eating there when I do go.

I must say, that our downtown does offer a variety of great eating places. You really can't go wrong.

LePeeps, great breakfast/lunch

Backstage, great lunch (when open) and dinner and not on the pricey side.

Fiddler's Hearth - a great hearty change of pace.

LaSalle grill, a treat but on the pricey side, a great place for a special occasion.

Trio's, a different atmosphere great food and entertainment.

Noma, is a good change of pace and very unique.

C.J.'s Pub, just what you would expect and casual.

Madison Oyster bar(can only say I've partaken only of the spirits there?

Summit Club, very good, but elitist.

I know I'm missing some but if you can afford to go out to eat our downtown has some great eating establishments. Please add to the list those I didn't mention.
Wilson

Postby SeanD » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:40 pm

Wilson, Don't forget Sangrias. It's right next to Noma, and has been there for maybe a year now. Peruvian style. Great food. Bad Service. Nice Ambiance.

It's best, I think as a dinner spot.
SeanD

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:00 pm

SeanD wrote:Wilson, Don't forget Sangrias. It's right next to Noma, and has been there for maybe a year now. Peruvian style. Great food. Bad Service. Nice Ambiance.

It's best, I think as a dinner spot.

SeanD, I literally have never heard of Sangrias...How long has it been there?
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Wilson » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:03 am

Sean,
Haven't had the pleasure yet. I kinda forgot about them. But, will certainly put them on my to do list in the near future.
Wilson

Postby SeanD » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:25 pm

[quoteSeanD, I literally have never heard of Sangrias...How long has it been there?][/quote]

HM, I'm thinking it has been there for about a year maybe less. It's actually pretty good, altough they need to get their act together with their service. It is a nice place that seems to be doing well busines-wise (only from my observations and of seeing that it seems to have alot of filled seats whenever I go there).

On another note about downtown eateries, we would also be remiss not to mention Madison Oyster Bar as a downtown staple. Yes, it may be a bar, but it also has good food, great hours, and is a resturaunt that helps to attract people to the downtown area at night.
SeanD

Postby backstagedee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:41 am

I see that even Trio's has gone the DJ and cheap drink route. It seems like most local restaurant/bars have started bringing in DJs in the evening as a cheap way to try and replace live music... (I know we have tried it)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pho ... 4122427713
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Postby Wilson » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:52 pm

I never would have thought Trio's would go to that level. Certainly we have enough live young talent in this town. Most would love a chance to be able to sing in front of a live audience for much the same as a D.J. would charge. I'm surprised.
Wilson

Next

Return to Restaurant reviews