backstageadd ND

Summit Club Open to Public for Reservations

Re: Summit Club Open to Public for Reservations

Postby bob_rx2000 » Thu May 31, 2012 5:57 am

Xeno, I am not sure how a private and relatively expensive dining club can change models all so easily. They must keep the existing members happy while changing. That said, I never cared for the place and do agree that they needed to change.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby bdcbbq » Thu May 31, 2012 6:18 am

Two things killed the Summit Club, cost-cutting by businesses over the years and downtown becoming more vacant.

I think the private club concept is dying out. Didn't the South Bend Country Club have some financial problems a few years ago? I suspect Morris Park, Knollwood, and the South Bend Country Club are all running on a shoe string. Golf is probably the only thing holding their heads above water.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby backstagedee » Thu May 31, 2012 8:16 am

Xenokilla wrote:
backstagedee wrote:Yeah, no wonder their business plan failed after only 40 years.

Oh don't be a dick. Yes they lasted for 40 years, however they failed to adapt to the changing economic times and went out of business. Adapt or die.

Look blow-hard, that's my job. Don't like it don't read it. I have earned the right to be a dick the hard way - by actually being in the business along side those you so easily criticize.

I agree that that you adapt or die, but their format doesn't allow them to adapt to a dead central business district or move to ESC or Grangerwalka any more than I can. Our city has moved away from us so we die. Our city has helped to subsidize nicer areas for consumers to visit, yet refuses to help (or even allow us to) improve our own district to be competitive. Our city bet the farm on the Century Center, CFHOF, the Morris and the Cove instead of intelligent street design, parking access and services. All of us downtown are pretty much in the same sunken boat. While Summit did not join our dining alliance or participate in our downtown promotions I still feel their pain. We won't be participating in First Friday promotion this weekend, but I encourage everyone to visit the downtown restaurants and merchants who are.
http://dtsbfirstfridays.com/events.htm
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Previous

Return to Restaurant reviews