backstageadd ND

Alexander's Grille

Alexander's Grille

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:16 pm

I just had lunch there and although I'm not going to attempt to even come close to Bobrx_2000's reviews, it was fabulous!
I had a Gyro and it was made perfectly with just enough onions,feta dressing and tomatoes on a hot and delicious flat bread. I had a cup of soup which, I can't remember the name but it, was a cream soup with rice and a touch of lemon. Very good!. Because of an appointment, I didn't walk in until about 2 p.m. but there were at least 6 people eating. The only unpleasant aspect was that they had the TV on to the Confirmation Hearing for Sotomayer and Al Franken came on the screen to speak and fortunately I had eaten otherwise I would have lost my appetite. The Gyro deluxe and cup of soup and drink were $8.45. The restaurant which is located on South Bend Ave. in the Campus Shoppes across from Between the Buns and Caldwell Banker offices.
:clap: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbup:
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: Alexander's Grille

Postby York » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:43 pm

Thank you for the review, HM. That sounds very good; I love a good gyros. I believe the soup you had is called Kotosoupa Avgolemono.

Sorry you had to see Sotomayor and Fraken while dining. That's a sure way to make someone lose their appetite and quite possibly blow chunks.
York

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:15 pm

York wrote:Thank you for the review, HM. That sounds very good; I love a good gyros. I believe the soup you had is called Kotosoupa Avgolemono.

Sorry you had to see Sotomayor and Fraken while dining. That's a sure way to make someone lose their appetite and quite possibly blow chunks.

LOL, thanks for the visual York, if I didn't lose it then, I sure will now! :o :lol:
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Big Kahuna » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:04 pm

Big Kahuna

Postby backstagedee » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:27 pm

I feel really bad for the poor folks who tuned in to read about Alexander's.
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Postby fairystarz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:40 pm

Okay back to topic-

I had lunch there a few weeks back with a co-worker...
Me, I'm not into Greek food that much - mostly because (believe it or not) I try to watch what I'm eating and it's hard to figure out when you aren't familiar with the ingredients...but had lunch there to try it.
He seemed to enjoy everything that he ordered - I did try something that was like a cabbage roll - it was good.
I guess that their lack of anything for the 'non' Greek food person who is in the group was my down-fall.
I had a chicken sandwich- which consisted of a frozen triangle on a bun with nothing else (although I ordered deluxe)
The waitress forgot our salad / soup that should have been delivered before the entree's - she remembered when she was bringing out the baklava, so she brought them to the table with the dessert???
We asked for to-go containers, but decided against taking anything but the baklava with us.

Anyway - I guess that if you're interested in 'non-Greek' food, you should look elsewhere - otherwise Alexander's rocks.
fairystarz

Postby bob_rx2000 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:54 pm

Interesting, FS, interesting... I've had lunch at Alexander's twice and both times have had great food (the Greek chicken lunch special, and a Greek pasta dish that was also the lunch special). I've had the same server both times and she has been very efficient. You do need to try the specials there for lunch - they make it a worthwhile visit.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby fairystarz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:10 pm

bob_rx2000 wrote:Interesting, FS, interesting... I've had lunch at Alexander's twice and both times have had great food (the Greek chicken lunch special, and a Greek pasta dish that was also the lunch special). I've had the same server both times and she has been very efficient. You do need to try the specials there for lunch - they make it a worthwhile visit.

You'll have to ask Sock about our waitress :)
Maybe she was just having a bad day that day...
But bringing his salad and my soup out "after the meal" wasn't impressive.

His food looked good-don't get me wrong - I'm just trying to watch what I'm eating - and there wasn't a possibility to order just a 'plain' salad w/ low-cal dressing LOL on their menu
fairystarz

Postby sock_theorist » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:49 pm

It must have been "Come Spend the Evening in Hades" at Alexander's yesterday....Mrs. Sock and I decided to go there after work. We walked in and there were 2 tables of people. After a 10 minute wait the waitress came to our table; apologized for the wait and asked us what we would like to drink. After another 15 minutes of watching her mix salad, talk on her cell phone and chat with the cook in the kitchen, I'd had enough and just got up and left - still not having been served our drinks. Whatever, I'm going to talk to the owner. Crimony, I understand he's hardly ever there either...and this is a new place? Whatever...it's a shame. It could have gone over big. I would be surprised if they make it into football season.

Screw it, I'm goin' to Dee's Thursday

~theorist
Last edited by sock_theorist on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sock_theorist

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:54 pm

You know it amazes me, with all the unemployment, that good wait servers are hard to find. A good owner will know that it will make or break a restaurant by the quality and service of the wait staff... :?
Happy Mom

Next

Return to Restaurant reviews