backstageadd ND

Bike The Bend

Re: Bike The Bend

Postby bob_rx2000 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:02 pm

Somewhat selfishly, I have no issue with the bike lanes. I wish the cyclists would actually keep within them, especially the "jock bikers" on their skinny-tired bikes who seem to feel the need to ride in tandem on busy surface streets and expect motorists to back up behind them.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
User avatar
bob_rx2000
 
Posts: 3981
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:27 am
Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Re: Bike The Bend

Postby Shinigami » Wed May 11, 2011 12:05 am

bob_rx2000 wrote:Somewhat selfishly, I have no issue with the bike lanes. I wish the cyclists would actually keep within them, especially the "jock bikers" on their skinny-tired bikes who seem to feel the need to ride in tandem on busy surface streets and expect motorists to back up behind them.


IC 9-21-11-6
Lane use restrictions; riding two abreast
Sec. 6. A person riding a bicycle upon a roadway may not ride more than two (2) abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.

2 riders abreast is perfectly legal. I personally do it. At least I'm under the speed limit unlike most motorists who drive 5 to 10 over.

Please don't counter argument with we're too slow. Even if so?
What's wrong with that? LOL, sometimes I like traveling through Nappanee and the constant site of the slow amish horse buggy or Amish Cyclist just reminds me to slow down a bit and pass with Care. If I know I'm driving there to and from Syracuse I know that my traffic will include horses and I need alot more time for travel. Hell, I think the horse usually get's more respect than a human on bike from motorists. Come to think of I'd love to see more horses in St. Joe County, to drive the point home.

They have every right to use the road. In my opinion it's seems St. Joe County Motorists seem to be bigger jerks than drivers from Lagrange County.
For Hire, will post and moderate for beer.
User avatar
Shinigami
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:10 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Bike The Bend

Postby Shinigami » Wed May 11, 2011 12:21 am

IC 9-21-11-8
Bell or other audible signaling devices; sirens; whistles
Sec. 8. A person may not ride a bicycle unless the bicycle is equipped with a bell or other device capable of giving a signal audible for a distance of at least one hundred (100) feet. A bicycle may not be equipped with and a person may not use upon a bicycle a siren or whistle.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.

This has to be the one of the most unenforced or silly laws here in Indiana. I don't know a single road bike cyclists who has one, not saying it's okay not to have it, the law is the law, but let's be honest here, will this be enforced on Sunday, or will officers turn a blind eye.
For Hire, will post and moderate for beer.
User avatar
Shinigami
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:10 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Bike The Bend

Postby bob_rx2000 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:04 am

Shinigami wrote:
bob_rx2000 wrote:Somewhat selfishly, I have no issue with the bike lanes. I wish the cyclists would actually keep within them, especially the "jock bikers" on their skinny-tired bikes who seem to feel the need to ride in tandem on busy surface streets and expect motorists to back up behind them.


IC 9-21-11-6
Lane use restrictions; riding two abreast
Sec. 6. A person riding a bicycle upon a roadway may not ride more than two (2) abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.

2 riders abreast is perfectly legal. I personally do it. At least I'm under the speed limit unlike most motorists who drive 5 to 10 over.

Please don't counter argument with we're too slow. Even if so?
What's wrong with that? LOL, sometimes I like traveling through Nappanee and the constant site of the slow amish horse buggy or Amish Cyclist just reminds me to slow down a bit and pass with Care. If I know I'm driving there to and from Syracuse I know that my traffic will include horses and I need alot more time for travel. Hell, I think the horse usually get's more respect than a human on bike from motorists. Come to think of I'd love to see more horses in St. Joe County, to drive the point home.

They have every right to use the road. In my opinion it's seems St. Joe County Motorists seem to be bigger jerks than drivers from Lagrange County.



Shin,

What you need to do is drive down Cleveland Road (yeah, Cleveland Road) about 5:10am and see this full-fledged "jock-biker" idiot riding in the center of a traffic lane, no lights. Some complete a**hat got hit a couple of years ago doing the same thing, and there is a sidewalk running the length of Cleveland from Grape Road to Portage. In an argument, discourteous biker versus 3000 pound car, guess who wins? Right or wrong isn't maybe so important when you're dead.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
User avatar
bob_rx2000
 
Posts: 3981
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:27 am
Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Re: Bike The Bend

Postby Shinigami » Thu May 12, 2011 12:49 pm

bob_rx2000 wrote:
Shinigami wrote:
bob_rx2000 wrote:Somewhat selfishly, I have no issue with the bike lanes. I wish the cyclists would actually keep within them, especially the "jock bikers" on their skinny-tired bikes who seem to feel the need to ride in tandem on busy surface streets and expect motorists to back up behind them.


IC 9-21-11-6
Lane use restrictions; riding two abreast
Sec. 6. A person riding a bicycle upon a roadway may not ride more than two (2) abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.

2 riders abreast is perfectly legal. I personally do it. At least I'm under the speed limit unlike most motorists who drive 5 to 10 over.

Please don't counter argument with we're too slow. Even if so?
What's wrong with that? LOL, sometimes I like traveling through Nappanee and the constant site of the slow amish horse buggy or Amish Cyclist just reminds me to slow down a bit and pass with Care. If I know I'm driving there to and from Syracuse I know that my traffic will include horses and I need alot more time for travel. Hell, I think the horse usually get's more respect than a human on bike from motorists. Come to think of I'd love to see more horses in St. Joe County, to drive the point home.

They have every right to use the road. In my opinion it's seems St. Joe County Motorists seem to be bigger jerks than drivers from Lagrange County.



Shin,

What you need to do is drive down Cleveland Road (yeah, Cleveland Road) about 5:10am and see this full-fledged "jock-biker" idiot riding in the center of a traffic lane, no lights. Some complete a**hat got hit a couple of years ago doing the same thing, and there is a sidewalk running the length of Cleveland from Grape Road to Portage. In an argument, discourteous biker versus 3000 pound car, guess who wins? Right or wrong isn't maybe so important when you're dead.


Well in that case he's breaking the two laws, No lights and needs to be on the right side of the lane, probably no bell either. I see your point on the jock rider's though.
For Hire, will post and moderate for beer.
User avatar
Shinigami
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:10 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Bike The Bend

Postby Shinigami » Sun May 15, 2011 12:44 pm

Today was cold and wet. That is all.
For Hire, will post and moderate for beer.
User avatar
Shinigami
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:10 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Bike The Bend

Postby Cull.D.Sack » Mon May 16, 2011 8:51 pm

User avatar
Cull.D.Sack
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:03 pm

Previous

Return to Community Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron