backstageadd ND

Eat drink South Bend

Re: Eat drink South Bend

Postby bob_rx2000 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:26 am

Of all the groups and/or individuals you can look to blame for the problems in DTSB, the one that I will never look to is the SB Police. I quite honestly have no idea how those men and women manage to put on the uniform and go to work every day in the oppressive atmosphere that I feel they are forced to work under. With little to no support from the city administration, and a "justice" system that processes the bad guys out with no punishment, it has to be enormously frustrating.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby South Bender » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:52 pm

Buck Wheat wrote:Most (if not all) of the SBPD patrol officers believe that they are not allowed to "take out the trash" because Luecke has made South Bend a "sanctuary city" for thugs, gangstas, bums, vagrants, drunks, drug addicts, prostitutes, panhandlers, retards, psychos and other assorted public menaces. Or at least that is their perception. As for Chief Boykins, he was appointed by the current mayor. Get the picture? Am I right, Dunk?

:whistle:

I'm no fan of Luecke, but I'm pretty darn sure South Bend was full of most of those things you mentioned long before he took office. And some of those he actually diminished under his reign, like panhandlers in DTSB.
South Bender

Postby Happy Mom » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:19 pm

And some of those he actually diminished under his reign, like panhandlers in DTSB.

No disrespect South Bender, but have you been downtown lately? I was accosted twice last week while enjoying lunch and a dinner at "Eat, Drink, Downtown." I also had to park several blocks away and it was creepy being by myself. Why are the garages closed???? When I tell people, in other comparable size cities, that garages close here at 7, they are shocked...
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby dunk50 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:23 am

The wife and I were at Lasalle Grill earlier tonight for dinner. I actually parked in a yellow zone on Colfax rather than park my car blocks away. I would bet anyone on this forum, dinner at BSG that I could easily find 200 to 300 parking spaces in the downtown area that are marked no parking for NO GOOD REASON. I would start with the South curb next to the parking garage on Colfax across from the bookstore. The city just trys to force us into a parking garage but on their time table. The FIRST thing that has to happen downtown is for the city admin. to want it to work. I truly don't think that is the case and I HAVE SAT IN ON SOME MEETINGS (granted in the past) but not that long ago where this kind of thing was discussed. One reason they don't want a lot of people downtown is the city would be required to furnish security. The city doesn't make a dime when BSG or any other business is packed. It actually costs the city money for the businesses to make it. Nothing will change until Luecke is gone and only then if the NEW Democrat has any balls!
Military at 17, 7th SFG Ft. Bragg, 10th SFG Bad Tolz, 5th SFG Nam, 34 Years South Bend Police and retired. Should be fishin but I'm on here!
dunk50

Postby johndobee » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:16 am

dunk50 wrote:The wife and I were at Lasalle Grill earlier tonight for dinner. I actually parked in a yellow zone on Colfax rather than park my car blocks away. I would bet anyone on this forum, dinner at BSG that I could easily find 200 to 300 parking spaces in the downtown area that are marked no parking for NO GOOD REASON. I would start with the South curb next to the parking garage on Colfax across from the bookstore. The city just trys to force us into a parking garage but on their time table. The FIRST thing that has to happen downtown is for the city admin. to want it to work. I truly don't think that is the case and I HAVE SAT IN ON SOME MEETINGS (granted in the past) but not that long ago where this kind of thing was discussed. One reason they don't want a lot of people downtown is the city would be required to furnish security. The city doesn't make a dime when BSG or any other business is packed. It actually costs the city money for the businesses to make it. Nothing will change until Luecke is gone and only then if the NEW Democrat has any balls!

The last Democrat with any balls died a long time ago. Yes, Harry Truman was the last of them.
Conservative Union Member (yes, there are lots of us).
johndobee

Postby Happy Mom » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:58 am

dunk50 wrote:The wife and I were at Lasalle Grill earlier tonight for dinner. I actually parked in a yellow zone on Colfax rather than park my car blocks away. I would bet anyone on this forum, dinner at BSG that I could easily find 200 to 300 parking spaces in the downtown area that are marked no parking for NO GOOD REASON. I would start with the South curb next to the parking garage on Colfax across from the bookstore. The city just trys to force us into a parking garage but on their time table. The FIRST thing that has to happen downtown is for the city admin. to want it to work. I truly don't think that is the case and I HAVE SAT IN ON SOME MEETINGS (granted in the past) but not that long ago where this kind of thing was discussed. One reason they don't want a lot of people downtown is the city would be required to furnish security. The city doesn't make a dime when BSG or any other business is packed. It actually costs the city money for the businesses to make it. Nothing will change until Luecke is gone and only then if the NEW Democrat has any balls!

You are so correct! The parking problem has been going on for years and so has the homeless problem. I have also seen employees of other businesses have their employees park in front of competing businesses. The handicap, wide/useless curbs and flower plants take up 20 or thirty spaces alone.
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby South Bender » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:45 pm

Happy Mom wrote:
And some of those he actually diminished under his reign, like panhandlers in DTSB.

No disrespect South Bender, but have you been downtown lately? I was accosted twice last week while enjoying lunch and a dinner at "Eat, Drink, Downtown." I also had to park several blocks away and it was creepy being by myself. Why are the garages closed???? When I tell people, in other comparable size cities, that garages close here at 7, they are shocked...

No disrespect taken. But yes, I have spent quite a bit of time downtown in the past 8 years for sure. I've worked there for 7 of the past 8 (for two different private companies). I've been asked for money probably 8-10 times in those 7 years, and not once in the past year or two. Now, maybe there are more people asking for money at night when I'm not there, I don't know.
South Bender

Postby bob_rx2000 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:21 am

South Bender wrote:
Happy Mom wrote:

No disrespect taken. But yes, I have spent quite a bit of time downtown in the past 8 years for sure. I've worked there for 7 of the past 8 (for two different private companies). I've been asked for money probably 8-10 times in those 7 years, and not once in the past year or two. Now, maybe there are more people asking for money at night when I'm not there, I don't know.

South Bender, obviously I don't know you, but I do know Happy Mom and she is a lovely flower of Southern Charm, and might appear to be a target for the more aggressive and intimidating pan-handler types. (They don't know her either!) I'm an adult male, not in the best of shape, but 6'2" and I suspect that the pan-handler types might be less likely to approach me during the daytime and early evenings.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:57 am

South Bender, obviously I don't know you, but I do know Happy Mom and she is a lovely flower of Southern Charm, and might appear to be a target for the more aggressive and intimidating pan-handler types. (They don't know her either!) I'm an adult male, not in the best of shape, but 6'2" and I suspect that the pan-handler types might be less likely to approach me during the daytime and early evenings.

Why thank you Bob! :D I try to put on my 'mean,' 'don't mess with me' persona when I go Down town but when I see a strange person making a b-line right to me, it scares me. With all the crazies out there, I have no idea what they are going to do.
Happy Mom

Postby John Q Public » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:08 am

Happy Mom wrote:

Why thank you Bob! :D I try to put on my 'mean,' 'don't mess with me' persona when I go Down town but when I see a strange person making a b-line right to me, it scares me. With all the crazies out there, I have no idea what they are going to do.

In the meantime Happy Mom you may want to stop at Midwest Guns and buy yourself a squirt can of bear pepper spray. You may need it if your "don't mess with me persona" doesn't work. :lol: (But I love your spunk!) The pepper spray will work, trust me. If you spray one of them guys it will be headline news and maybe the rest of the pan-handlers will read it in the SBT rag before they cover up with it on those cool South Bend nights. Problem solved.

P.S. Thanks for the drink offer. I was out of town and read it too late to take advantage.
If you like your health insurance, you can keep it. --- Barack Hussein Obama
John Q Public

Location: Somewhere in a tall building in downtown South Bend

PreviousNext

Return to Community Announcements