backstageadd ND

ASL Bucket Challenges

General and open forum

ASL Bucket Challenges

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:10 pm

"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: ASL Bucket Challenges

Postby Xenokilla » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:12 pm

dumbest thing ever.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
On twitter: @Xenokilla
Check my game reviews and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/xenokillaoftaw
Xenokilla

Postby Happy Mom » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:23 am

'Dumbest thing' raised $41 Million so far this year compared to $1.3 Million last year... :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby bob_rx2000 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:35 am

So if I understand this correctly, the notion is that you have a bucket of ice water dumped on your head if you don't contribute to the ALS foundation. So all these people getting water dumped on them are the non-contributors? How is this playing out in the drought-stricken American southwest?
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby Spider » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:47 am

ALS is, by far, one of the worst diseases out there. I used to think that dementia or Alzheimers would be the worst way to go, but after watching someone go through all the stages of ALS, i've changed my mind.

The number of people with ALS isn't huge, but it is a slow, miserable death. Anything that helps find a cure is worth our time and money.

Most of the people who do the challenge still donate money (or at least claim to). But even if someone doesn't, it spreads the message to someone who might. Does it take advantage of self-promotion and narcissism? Sure. Isn't that all your facebook feed is anyway? At least its for a good cause.

And they are receiving more donations. Thats a good thing. And for people to actually be annoyed that their facebook feed is clogged, or their twitter feed is crowded, is the epitome of first world problems. It must be rough, having Ice Bucket Challenges breaking up the 11 billion photos of all your friends kids first day of school. :roll:

Something like this is an example of some of the good social media can do.
Spider

Postby Happy Mom » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:06 am

Spider, I wholeheartedly agree with your post! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:08 am

Happy Mom

Postby Kingsman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:27 am

Are "dumbest thing ever" and "makes a ton of money for a charity" mutually exclusive? I think not.
Kingsman

Return to General Forum