backstageadd ND

PHM Attack at Discovery Middle School

PHM Attack at Discovery Middle School

Postby Happy Mom » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:50 am

Parents, students protest at Discovery Middle School over bullying
By Melissa Stephens | Posted: Fri 7:05 PM, Apr 12, 2019

GRANGER, Ind. (WNDU) - There are still many questions circulating after a video was shared many times on social media that showed a Discovery Middle School student in Granger beating up another boy.

Friday morning, a small group of parents and students gathered outside the school to express concerns over bullying.

"We don't like that our kids don't feel safe,” Discovery parent Jessica Vitale said.

Penn-Harris-Madison School Corporation released a statement Thursday saying, in part, “Step one of our investigation process once a violation has been confirmed is to immediately place students on suspension. This does not mean that this is the end result of the disciplinary process. This is only the first step."

P-H-M also cites a federal law preventing the school or district from giving out part of a student's record, including how they were disciplined.

Jessica Vitale said her son was threatened by the same student in the video months ago. She said the principal and vice principal handled the incident quickly.

“But that's where it stopped,” Vitale said. “And then my son reported that he felt safe, and so I just kind of dropped it.”

But Kelle Moore says bullying continues in the school.

"Our kids need to feel safe,” Moore said. "This could've been completely preventable. This was not an isolated incident.”

“I’ve gotten so many reports of there being other things going on in the bathroom,” Vitale said. “There needs to be some safety measures put in place. Policies need to change."

Get the latest updates from wndu.com delivered to your browser

https://www.wndu.com/content/news/Paren ... 02381.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Return to Education