backstageadd ND

SBCSC

SBCSC

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:49 pm

South Bend superintendent says food shortage at schools due to 'incompetence or negligence' of staff
By Allie Kirkman South Bend Tribune 8 hrs ago


Image
SOUTH BEND — South Bend schools Superintendent Todd Cummings, in a written statement Thursday morning, blamed the food shortage this week that caused some students to go unfed during the school day “either to the incompetence or negligence” of some of the corporation’s food and nutrition staff.

A week after the school board voted to outsource food service operations beginning in October, parents reported some schools "ran out of food" and their children came home without being fed.


On Wednesday, South Bend schools spokeswoman Susan Guibert said the affected schools included Riley High School, Dickinson Intermediate Fine Arts Academy and Washington High School. But parents chimed in on social media, saying the problem also occurred this week at a handful of other schools.

Cummings and his cabinet members served lunch at some of the schools Thursday to “ensure that students are being fed,” Guibert said.

“If it appears that any school is running low on food, more food will be supplied by area restaurants and/or food suppliers,” she said. Cummings "has deployed staff from the new food vendor, Chartwells, to visit schools and check their pantries and report back on their findings.”

Guibert said every school principal in the district has been asked to have their kitchen managers check their pantries and submit a report.

While the investigation is still ongoing, Guibert said, it appears that "an insufficient amount of food had been ordered" by a small number of employees in the food and nutrition department.

In a written statement, Cummings described the situation as inexcusable and said Thursday he planned "to take appropriate action later today.”

“There is no excuse for our students to have gone without food earlier this week," Cummings said. "This debacle further validates the decision to hire an outside vendor to manage the district’s food, since the current, internally run department isn’t doing its job."

During its Sept. 3 meeting, the school board approved a $550,000, year-long contract with Chartwells, a division of Compass Group USA Inc., which officially takes over as the district’s food service management company next month.

According to documents provided to the school board, Chartwells guaranteed a return to the district's food and nutrition account of $2.6 million. The extra money can be used to upgrade school cafeterias and support other expanded offerings for students.

The board was told the agreement with Chartwells would not affect current corporation employees. All SBCSC employees will be retained by the district during the transition.

School Board President John Anella said he believes the district acting "forceful is an appropriate response" to addressing the food shortage.

"This is something that shouldn't happen. We understand the gravity and seriousness of the situation and are doing everything we can to fix it," Anella said, adding that because of this incident, it may be possible that Chartwells takes over as the district's food service management company earlier than expected.

"The transition was going to be in October, but this may have moved up that timeline," Anella said.

Tony Flora, president of the North Central Indiana AFL-CIO that oversees local unions, including the Teamsters, said he believed Cummings’ response was “a disappointing one to hear.”

“As a citizen, my question is, who hired these people? Is he saying his own administration staff is failing? I find it astonishing that he would make those comments about his own staff,” Flora said. “The food service workers are very committed to doing the best possible job they can for the students. They are such loyal employees that have tolerated a lot over the years, especially low pay.”

Flora said there are “multiple problems that arise when a school contracts out and privatizes.”

Current employees could be impacted the most, he said.

But, Anella said that won't be the case as, "current employees stay in place as unionized SBCSC employees with no change to their pay, benefits, or pensions unless negotiated with us through their union."

The 10 staff members, including four full-time executive chefs, that Chartwells will bring to the team will work directly for the company and not the school corporation, Anella said.

All students — except for those who attend Adams High School and LaSalle Intermediate Academy — receive daily breakfast and lunch meals at no charge, as the district participates in the federal Community Eligibility Provision program.

Adam Baker, a spokesman for the Indiana Department of Education, told The Tribune on Wednesday that the state's nutrition staff had reached out to South Bend administration and will investigate “what has occurred and what needs to be done to make sure this problem doesn’t happen again.”

By Thursday, IDOE and school district staff had been in communication, both Guibert and Baker said. The state education department has been provided updates on the school's investigation and its plans to address the food shortage.

akirkman@sbtinfo.com

574-235-6335

@alliekirkman15
https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/e ... mF6bXbY-Ro
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
User avatar
Happy Mom
 
Posts: 19475
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:03 am
Location: Granger

Re: SBCSC

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:43 pm

South Bend schools' transportation and food directors are both out
By Allie Kirkman South Bend Tribune 14 hrs ago


SOUTH BEND — South Bend schools’ transportation and food service directors both have resigned in the midst of problems in their departments.

Superintendent Todd Cummings made the announcement in a statement to The Tribune Monday afternoon. Juan Martinez Legus, the former transportation director and Victoria Moore, the former food and nutrition director, have both left their positions.


Cummings said the changes come in the “wake of the student lunch (shortage) issues two weeks ago, coupled with ongoing school busing troubles around the district,” and are designed to “help solve these problems.”

“It’s time we took bold, decisive action that will actually help our students, not hinder them,” Cummings said in the statement.

South Bend schools spokeswoman Susan Guibert said both employees were “given other options and both chose to resign” as a result.

When asked specifically what the “other options” entailed, Guibert wouldn’t provide details.

Rene Sanchez, SBCSC’s chief operations officer, will temporarily take on the additional role of director of transportation for the corporation, Cummings said, also announcing the launch of a national search for a new director.

When it comes to the food and nutrition department, Cummings said the corporation will work with its new vendor, Chartwells, “to determine their needs and whether or not the position needs to be filled in the future.”

For now, SBCSC’s chief financial officer, Kareemah Fowler, will serve as liaison between the corporation and Chartwells.


“Food and transportation are two major areas that call for improvement, and I expect to see those improvements soon,” Cummings said.

Transportation issues
Martinez Legus was hired by the corporation in November 2016 to lead South Bend’s busing system, according to previous reports by The Tribune.

He joined the district at a time when it was looking for solutions to problems that have plagued the transportation department for years, including an ongoing shortage of drivers and complaints from parents of late buses causing students to be tardy to school and arrive home late.

Martinez Legus’ resignation comes shortly after South Bend schools’ Chief Operations Officer Rene Sanchez announced the district’s plans to implement new technology on the buses by October.

An ID-based tracking system will be installed in every bus to keep school officials and parents alert about a student’s whereabouts. Students will be issued a special ID that they will swipe as they get on and exit the bus. That way, school officials will “know exactly where the student is” at all times, Sanchez said.

New camera systems and the installation of Wi-Fi on buses also will be introduced this school year.

Guibert said Martinez Legus’ resignation will not impact the district’s plans to roll out the new initiatives.

“Everything with safety enhancements and technology will still happen,” she said.

In previous reporting by The Tribune, South Bend parents expressed doubts about the effectiveness of the proposed technology, saying they want to see improvements made to the department’s current system — the “MyStop” tracking program — before any more technology is added. They also reported having communication issues with the transportation department’s call center.

In the written statement, Cummings said, “four weeks is enough time to work out the start of the year busing issues,” pointing to the continued reports of students not getting to school on time.

“We need to make changes now since these problems haven’t been solved,” Cummings said. “Our students can’t learn if we can’t get them to their schools in the morning. They deserve better and I will continue to look for additional ways to improve not only transportation, but all of our services.”

The Tribune was not able to immediately reach Martinez Legus for comment Monday.

Food woes
Moore’s resignation comes a week after the corporation’s new food service provider, Chartwells, took over a month earlier than originally planned in the wake of food shortages that affected three South Bend schools.

Those schools are Riley High School, Dickinson Intermediate Fine Arts Academy and Washington High School.

Cummings, in a previous report by The Tribune, blamed the food shortage that caused some students to go unfed during the school day “either to the incompetence or negligence” of some of the corporation’s food and nutrition staff.

“There is no excuse for our students to have gone without food,” Cummings said in a previous statement. “This debacle further validates the decision to hire an outside vendor to manage the district’s food, since the current, internally run department isn’t doing its job.”

Cummings called in Chartwells to take over food services Sept. 16. The vendor wasn’t scheduled to take over until Oct. 21.

Food services was previously handled internally by SBCSC’s own food service department.

When The Tribune reached out to Moore via email on Sept. 12 for comment on the food shortage she said she “would like to respond,” but was unable to.

“As you may know my staff and I are busy putting out fires,” Moore said. “Please check back with me next week.”

Moore did not return a follow-up request for comment.

Guibert previously reported that early investigations had found that “an insufficient amount of food had been ordered” by a small number of employees in the food and nutrition department.

In a previous report by The Tribune, Cummings said he planned “to take appropriate action.”

Until Monday, neither school officials nor Cummings had made any announcements about consequences staff members involved in the shortage may have faced.

“Our investigation exposed central office process issues and we needed to make the necessary adjustments in our food and nutrition department,” Cummings said in Monday’s statement. “As I said previously, running out of food for our students is unacceptable.

“We are grateful for the front line workers who feed and greet our students every day,” he said. “Without their support we would not have been able to resolve this matter. We are grateful for their extra work.”

The Tribune was not able to immediately reach Moore for comment Monday.

akirkman@sbtinfo.com
574-235-6335
@alliekirkman15

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/e ... 00cf4.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
User avatar
Happy Mom
 
Posts: 19475
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:03 am
Location: Granger

Re: SBCSC

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:40 pm

South Bend schools' enrollment drops by nearly 700
By Allie Kirkman South Bend Tribune Oct 4, 2019
Image
SOUTH BEND COMMUNITY SCHOOL CORPORTATION BUILDING
The South Bend Community School Corp. administration building in downtown South Bend.

Tribune File Photo

SOUTH BEND — South Bend schools’ enrollment is down nearly 700 students this year, prompting officials to consider how they’ll deal with the $4.7 million loss of state tuition support.

This fall, enrollment is 15,906, down 685 students from the 2018-19 school year, according to preliminary data released to The Tribune by the school corporation. A decade ago, the district’s schools had more than 21,000 students. This marks the sixth straight year it’s lost students.


Superintendent Todd Cummings points to private school vouchers, charter schools and competition among districts as factors in the decline.

Cummings said the loss of students is most prevalent at the district’s primary centers.

There are numerous avenues the district could pursue to address the enrollment drop, Cummings said, from restricting teacher pay increases to increasing class sizes, but he said he won’t speculate about those outcomes until the final numbers are posted by the Indiana Department of Education later this month.

South Bend schools spokeswoman Susan Guibert said each student brings $6,867 of state tuition support.

“We have to be innovative in our approach and ensure we are meeting students’ and parents’ needs. We have to continue to make sure we get food right, get transportation right, continue to support our world-class teachers,” Cummings said. “Those are the kinds of things that force people to choose other schools.”

Recently, the district’s food service and transportation directors resigned in the midst of problems in their departments. Those involved student lunch shortages and years-long busing problems.

Jerome McKibben, a demographer who has worked with local school districts, said 685 students “is a lot to lose for a district that size.”

As a result, he said, the administration will have to “take a hard look” at what specific grade levels and/or buildings within the district are experiencing the greatest decrease in enrollment. From there, they’ll need to evaluate where money is being spent and where they can afford to cut.

“They’ll need to be more judicial with how they allocate resources with teachers, the buildings and transportation,” McKibben said.

“If all 688 students were elementary schoolers and the average class size is 25 students in those schools,” McKibben said, “roughly 27 teachers are gone. They’d need to be eliminated or the school would have to not fill those positions.”

As South Bend has lost students in recent years, neighboring schools and districts have grown.

Career Academy, which runs three charter schools in South Bend, announced its intentions Monday to potentially lease or buy two buildings South Bend schools shuttered because of past enrollment declines.

Alex Hammel, the Career Academy’s superintendent, cites the increase in student enrollment in its schools as a reason the charter is “exploring its options.”

Hammel said this year’s fall enrollment number will be “well over 1,300 students.” According to IDOE data, Career Academy South Bend had 1,254 students last year.

John Glenn School Corp. Superintendent Christopher Winchell said preliminary data show enrollment this fall is up 48 students to 2,008. Last year’s enrollment was 1,960.

Of that total enrollment, Winchell said, about 1,500 students live within the district boundaries and 500 travel from outside to attend the school.

“Over the last five years, John Glenn has tended to see about a 1% increase in student population. We were anticipating about 20 more students, but ended up with a much larger number,” Winchell said. “This year we increased in residential enrollment, so more families and students have moved into the district.”

Officials from neither Penn-Harris-Madison School Corp. nor School City of Mishawaka would release preliminary enrollment data this week, but both districts have increased enrollment in recent years by taking in students from outside their boundaries.

akirkman@sbtinfo.com
574-235-6335
@alliekirkman15

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/e ... 6e490.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
User avatar
Happy Mom
 
Posts: 19475
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:03 am
Location: Granger

Re: SBCSC

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:44 pm

The reason people are fleeing is the lack of discipline....period..
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
User avatar
Happy Mom
 
Posts: 19475
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:03 am
Location: Granger


Return to Education

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests