backstageadd ND

Mishawaka Schools

Mishawaka Schools

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:13 am

I just read in the Tribune that Mishawaka has seen an increase in their Graduation Rates...Evidently last year they were under fire for having one of the are's highest dropout rates. So in one year, Mishawak was able to buckle down, find a solution,implement those new programs, and turn it around... Congratulations Mishawaka, I wish we had some of your 'intelligence' and foresight in the South Bend Administration...all of the South Bend Schools were lower than the previous year...
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: Mishawaka Schools

Postby Don Wheeler » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:05 pm

Someday they may reach the graduation rate of the SBCSC.
Want what you have
Do what you can
Be who you are
- Forrest Church
Don Wheeler

Postby bob_rx2000 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:46 pm

But Don, why would Mishawaka want to graduate a lower rate of students?
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby Don Wheeler » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:58 pm

bob_rx2000 wrote:But Don, why would Mishawaka want to graduate a lower rate of students?

Mishawaka's rate is lower. That's the point.
Want what you have
Do what you can
Be who you are
- Forrest Church
Don Wheeler

Postby backstagedee » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:03 pm

Unless, of course you combine the stats of PHM and Mishawaka School City which would a be closer, more fair comparison in terms of geographic cross section and numbers.
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Postby Don Wheeler » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:01 pm

backstagedee wrote:Unless, of course you combine the stats of PHM and Mishawaka School City which would a be closer, more fair comparison in terms of geographic cross section and numbers.

That doesn't make sense. PHM and Mishawaka aren't run by the same bodies. Penn is heads and tails the highest grad rate, of course. Mishawaka, a wealthier city than South Bend, is the lowest.
Want what you have
Do what you can
Be who you are
- Forrest Church
Don Wheeler

Postby bob_rx2000 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:37 am

Don, are you seriously saying that Mishawaka has a greater than 48% dropout rate from 9th to 12th grade? I'll be the first to admit I've not seen School City's figures, but I do find that hard to believe. I'll also tell you that, as an instructor of college freshmen, I find the kids from Mishawaka schools to be better prepared to do college level work than I find those from SBCSC. I'll grant you that I'm not getting the top graduates of either high school, but I'm just saying...
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Return to Education