backstageadd ND

Washer & Dryer Recommendations?

Good or bad customer service experience? Do or do not recommend a service or store? Let us know here.

Washer & Dryer Recommendations?

Postby southsider » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:35 am

Buyinga new washer and dryer set. I am leaning towards a traditional top load for capacity and so we dont have to bend to load the machine. I am also not hearing great things about hi efficiency machines, my husband works construction and I find it hard to beleive that 6 gallons would clean clothes the same as 50 gallons. Does anyone have recommendations on what to buy or what not to buy? I am leaning towards maytag brand. We currently own a maytag set and it has survived many basement floods. I am also hearing bad things about samsung and lg brands.

What say you? Please share what ylu have and how you like it, the good, bad, and anything else.

Thanks for your help!
southsider

Re: Washer & Dryer Recommendations?

Postby Ideal Baloney » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:48 am

Sears Kenmore products are worth considering. They are manufactured by Whirlpool.

http://www.sears.com/appliances-washers-dryers/c-1020020
Ideal Baloney

Postby bdcbbq » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:56 am

We received a Kenmore stackable washer/dryer for a wedding present back in 1993. Its still going strong.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby southsider » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:14 pm

thanks guys!!!

I will check into the kenmore models too.
southsider

Postby raycyrx » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:56 pm

Kenmores and Maytags made by Whirlpool.
Many of my former Bosch colleagues work for Whirlpool and are thoroughly unimpressed with their products. Bosch and Korean manufacturers are ahead in features and quality.

That said, I bought a Bosch front load washer at a steep discount when I worked there. It cut my drying time down by about 50%, and reduced my water usage from 18~19 ccf to about 11 ccf. It is INCREDIBLY quiet. When my dryer or furnace is running, I can't hear it. We probably do 10-15 loads a week and haven't had a problem in 4 years. When shopping I noticed that I couldn't get the capacity in other brands that Bosch has. We often overload the washer, and that makes the dryer loads (extra large capacity) just about right. Both dryer and washer, now, run about an hour.

A year ago, we replaced our gas dryer with a new Whirlpool/Kenmore. An absolute must is the moisture sensor. It stops drying when the clothes are... well... dry, rather than running for the set amount of time. Timed cycles are, or course, optional... but either don't dry the clothes completely or run too long (wasting energy/dollars). Not all dryers have moisture sensors, even though almost all have an "automatic" cycle setting. Our last two dryers died due to too much lint getting past the screen and into the rest of the machine. I went with the lint screen on the top of the unit (rather than inside the drum door) for that reason.

Go to the library and find the washer/dryer issue of Consumer Reports. They do a good job of making such comparisons and calling out which features have any value.
The Church is not a hotel for saints. It is a hospital for sinners.
St. Augustine
raycyrx

Postby southsider » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:05 pm

raycyrx wrote:Kenmores and Maytags made by Whirlpool.
Many of my former Bosch colleagues work for Whirlpool and are thoroughly unimpressed with their products. Bosch and Korean manufacturers are ahead in features and quality.

That said, I bought a Bosch front load washer at a steep discount when I worked there. It cut my drying time down by about 50%, and reduced my water usage from 18~19 ccf to about 11 ccf. It is INCREDIBLY quiet. When my dryer or furnace is running, I can't hear it. We probably do 10-15 loads a week and haven't had a problem in 4 years. When shopping I noticed that I couldn't get the capacity in other brands that Bosch has. We often overload the washer, and that makes the dryer loads (extra large capacity) just about right. Both dryer and washer, now, run about an hour.

A year ago, we replaced our gas dryer with a new Whirlpool/Kenmore. An absolute must is the moisture sensor. It stops drying when the clothes are... well... dry, rather than running for the set amount of time. Timed cycles are, or course, optional... but either don't dry the clothes completely or run too long (wasting energy/dollars). Not all dryers have moisture sensors, even though almost all have an "automatic" cycle setting. Our last two dryers died due to too much lint getting past the screen and into the rest of the machine. I went with the lint screen on the top of the unit (rather than inside the drum door) for that reason.

Go to the library and find the washer/dryer issue of Consumer Reports. They do a good job of making such comparisons and calling out which features have any value.

awesome! Thanks for the help! I dont want to buy an expensive piece of garbage.
southsider

Postby bob_rx2000 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:03 pm

SouthSider - I concur with those who mention Sears Kenmore/Whirlpool appliances. I have a set of Kenmore appliances that I bought in 1988 and I'm just about ready to replace. They are still going pretty well although I'm certain that at 24 years of age, it is time. I'll buy Kenmore/Whirlpool again.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby southsider » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Well we went with the Maytag Bravos XL Top Loading units. Got both for a pretty sweet deal. It has a 4.6 capacity and since mr ss overloads every load he does, that will be space well used. We should have the new appliances this week yet.

Ray, how do you know if the dryer goes out because of the lint build up that you mention? I think that may have happened to mine.

Thanks!
southsider

Postby raycyrx » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:47 pm

southsider wrote:Ray, how do you know if the dryer goes out because of the lint build up that you mention? I think that may have happened to mine.

KNOW is a bit of a strong term. Let's say I highly suspect it. Every time I'd open up the machine to clean it out, you'd think there was no lint filter at all. Plus, the screen slot that the screen fit into slowly built up with caked on lint that I was forever cleaning out.

The top slide out lint filter seems to be a much better design. We'll have to see in five or six years if my dryer starts to have performance problems.
The Church is not a hotel for saints. It is a hospital for sinners.
St. Augustine
raycyrx

Postby southsider » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:05 pm

raycyrx wrote:
southsider wrote:Ray, how do you know if the dryer goes out because of the lint build up that you mention? I think that may have happened to mine.

KNOW is a bit of a strong term. Let's say I highly suspect it. Every time I'd open up the machine to clean it out, you'd think there was no lint filter at all. Plus, the screen slot that the screen fit into slowly built up with caked on lint that I was forever cleaning out.

The top slide out lint filter seems to be a much better design. We'll have to see in five or six years if my dryer starts to have performance problems.

Mine looked like there was a small fire inside, close to the vent area. There were black smoke/fire marks. Lucky that it didnt blow the house up, but our lint deal is always full, and we clean it often but dont open the machine up to get in to the nooks and crannies.

Cant wait to get the new machines up and running.
southsider

Next

Return to Merchants and Services