backstageadd ND

Femme Fatale: South Bend woman opens new gun shop

Good or bad customer service experience? Do or do not recommend a service or store? Let us know here.

Postby Happy Mom » Fri May 02, 2014 6:37 am

Posted: May 01, 2014 9:24 PM EDT
By Tom Powell - email

New lines of purses, running shorts and even bras are showing up on the market, but they're not catering to your typical fashionista. Instead we're talking about accessories for female gun owners. Statistics show more and more women are carrying guns. Now a new South Bend business is looking to tap into the demand.

"This is a pink revolver," says Rebecca Bartol from behind the counter of her new store on South Main. The name of the shop is Femme Fatale Guns & Sporting, Incorporated.

We asked her how she came up with the name. She says it came to her after a brainstorming session. "I was trying to think of something good, and my dad said we should call it 'Rebecca's Gun Shop'," she says. "I was like, 'No!'"

Bartol makes it clear her shop is open to anyone who is legally able to buy a gun. That includes men or women, but she'll soon be carrying accessories too, like holsters made specifically for women. We're not just talking the kind you wear as a belt.

"You have it very close to you if you're jogging," she says as she explains a pair of shorts that hold a gun. "You could wear them as jogging shorts or you could wear them under your shorts or running pants."

Manager Tim Stickel says he likes that a woman is running the show. "I think it's great," he says. "A lot more women are getting interested in self-defense and firearms as a hobby."

The statistics seem to support that, not only across the country but specifically here in Indiana. More women are applying for firearm licenses. Numbers from the Indiana State Police show 35% more woman had a firearms license in Indiana in the first quarter of 2014 compared to the first quarter of 2013. In St. Joe County there was a 27% increase.

Bartol points out not all of those women are looking for pink guns. "Thy're cute and pretty," she says. "But black pretty much goes with anything, so I like my black and chrome."

She says the decision to go into the gun business was easy, although she admits she did get some mixed reaction from friends at first. "Some of my friends, knowing I grew up on a farm doing target shooting, said that makes sense," she says. "Other people were like, 'Wow, Really? Why would you want to do that? A Gun store?'"

Bartol says she'll also be working with instructors to get more women into classes to learn how to properly handle guns.
http://www.fox28.com/story/25408891/201 ... w-gun-shop
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: Femme Fatale: South Bend woman opens new gun shop

Postby BobbyBeetleMishawaka » Fri May 02, 2014 8:27 am

If she pays attention to basic business practices she'll make a lot of money. I hope she has locked up rights to the store's name, because I think this has franchise potential.
THE ONLY REASON
TO BE AGAINST VOTER ID
IS IF YOU SUPPORT VOTER FRAUD.

-- Bill Adams
BobbyBeetleMishawaka

Postby Kingsman » Fri May 02, 2014 12:07 pm

Looks like the old song, "Pistol Packin' Mama," has a new relevance.
Kingsman

Postby bdcbbq » Fri May 02, 2014 12:50 pm

Women are flocking to the idea of improving their armed self defense options. At the gun club I belong too they offer NRA Women on Target classes to introduce women to firearms. Four years ago we were having just a few women in classes We would offer 2 per year. Now there are 3-4 per year and they are all full. These numbers don't include the women who come to basic pistol and/or concealed carry classes as part of the requirements to get a permit in Michigan.

I wish this woman all the success in the world but the sale of firearms is extremely competitive locally. Midwest Gun Exchange is the powerhouse around here. They are generally always pretty busy. FF is going to have to carve that niche out to sell to women. In order to do that she is going to have to come up with some creative advertising and guerrilla marketing ideas. It's too bad she doesn't have a small shooting range. If she did offering a "Tupperware" type party at the range demonstrating firearms by booking groups of women, particularly younger women could increase her business so it becomes profitable and builds a great reputation fast.

The firearm business is a lot harder to make money in now that it was in the past. The city of South Bend won't be helpful. In fact a friend of mine tried to set a shop up for firearm repair and customization in South Bend a few years ago and they made it so difficult he went to Mishawaka. Now has so much business he can't keep up with it. He does no advertising, minimal marketing, and uses networking to stay busy. There were not governmental roadblocks from Mishawaka at all.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Return to Merchants and Services