backstageadd ND

Ruth's Chris Steak House - Granger, IN

Our own bob_rx2000 provides a detailed look at the best dining experiences the South Bend Area has to offer!

Ruth's Chris Steak House - Granger, IN

Postby bob_rx2000 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:06 pm

Given the generosity of a friend, the Bob_Rx’s had a gift card to the Ruth’s Chris Steak House in Granger and took advantage of this last evening for a fine repast. They are located on East University Drive, east of the Super Target store and just east of and on the same side of the road as Granger Community Church. Parking is plentiful in their location, but reservations anywhere around the dinner hour are mandatory.

We arrived on time for our reservations, checked our coats and were seated immediately. Service was excellent, and Ruth’s Chris has a good booking system since our server was able to work in comments about our previous visit and what we had tried. While we reviewed the menu our cocktail order was delivered, and as I expected, the martini was very dry and generously poured. Mrs-Bob_Rx’s gin and tonic was in her words “strong”.

Several things to know about Ruth’s Chris are:
• Everything is ala carte
• The steaks are broiled and served with clarified, herbed butter on top
• The plates are very, very hot
• There isn’t anything “low calorie” or even remotely low calorie available

We started with our usual order of calamari, and it came out in a sweet sauce with Asian spicing and with roasted red peppers chunks. The calamari was good – nicely fried and chewy and served with enough sauce to taste but not so much as to heavily coat all the pieces. We found that there is a special combination deal available during the holidays with various entrees, starters, side and dessert, and both decided to take advantage of the deal.

We both started with lobster bisque. The portions are generous and the timing of the service excellent as the bisque arrived just as we had finished the calamari. It is quite thick and creamy and you can just get a hint of cayenne pepper on the tongue. I was a bit surprised with the service timing as we were finished with the bisque and the entrees didn’t arrive for about 5 minutes, but they were pretty crowded too, so perhaps I’m being a bit hyper critical on that one.

Mrs-Bob_Rx had the petit filet, done alas to charred beyond recognition (aka, medium well) while I had the New York Strip, cooked correctly to rare. You could tell that both were cooked as ordered, as the clarified butter on mine was still holding shape while that on Mrs-Bob_Rx’s had melted. My wife thought her steak was perfectly done and I won’t begin to comment on that, but my NY Strip was a perfect rare creation, brown and crisp on the outside and cool and pink in the middle and over an inch thick. It cut easily with the knife and melted in your mouth. I’m also not a big baked potato fan, but their baked potato is always good, firm but easily forked, and they serve a large, 1-pound potato. For dessert Mrs-Bob_Rx had the chocolate mousse and I had the bread pudding. The mousse is good but the bread pudding is something that a good Southerner such as Happy Mom would simply love. The raisins are soaked in bourbon, and the sauce is also bourbon-based, and the bread pudding itself is baked to perfection.

Our server was very good – he was at the table when drinks were getting low to check on a refill so that you’d never have an empty drink, the bread basket was always filled, dishes arrived and plates were removed efficiently and without interference. He knew we were reasonably familiar with the menu, realized we were there for a good meal, but a quiet one, and ran our table very effectively. I know that you expect this level of service at an upscale place, but you don’t always receive it, and I’m glad to see that Ruth’s Chris is competitive with the other upscale dining establishments (I feel there are 3 others) in this area.

The bottom line is that with several drinks, two of the dinner combination deals plus the appetizer, and with a 20% tip, the entire meal didn’t cost us a dime. As I said, it was a generous gift from a friend. Had I been paying out my own cash, I wouldn’t have blinked at the tab, which came in just under $125 before tip. For my upscale dining dollar, if you want to go for a steak, hit Ruth’s Chris Steak House.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Re: Ruth's Chris Steak House - Granger, IN

Postby Wilson » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:12 pm

Pricey but worth it. And if somethings not right, no hesitation to make it that way.
Wilson

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Thanks Bob, I'm headed there for the bread pudding alone.....great review as always! :clap: :clap:
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Big Kahuna » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:40 pm

Here ya go HM...slap on your apron.

Ruth Chris' Bread Pudding

Recipe By : Ruth Chris Steak House
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 c milk
1 pinch cinnamon
1/2 c sugar
2 eggs -- slightly beaten
1/4 c butter
1 pinch salt
3 c cubed French bread -- stale or oven crisp
1/2 apple peeled, cored -- cut in small pieces
1/2 c seedless raisins
1/4 c Whiskey Sauce
Whiskey Sauce
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c butter
3 tbsp whiskey

Place milk in saucepan and scald, bringing almost to a boil (do not allow to
boil). Add cinnamon and sugar, blending until smooth. Add scalded milk to eggs
and whip thoroughly. Add remaining ingred
nts, except Whiskey Sauce, and mix lightly. Place in 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes. Check with toothpick, which
should come out clean. When firm but bouncy, cut into squares to serve,
drizzling with Whiskey Sauce. Whiskey Sauce: In one quart saucepan, heat all
ingredients stirring for about 5 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Can be refrigerated and microwaved prior to serving (covered with
plastic wrap).
Big Kahuna

Postby Big Kahuna » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:50 pm

Big Kahuna

Postby southsider » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:42 pm

I went last night and while the food was amazing (filet w shrimp) - its a good thing I didn't need to use the ladies room before I ate the ladies room was pretty scuzzy as the floors were filthy and the counters were so bad I wiped them down myself.
southsider

Postby SeanD » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Yeah, it's expensive, but I like the way they serve the food al a carte.
SeanD

Postby Lincoln » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Last edited by Lincoln on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. ~Abraham Lincoln
Lincoln

Postby Wilson » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:44 pm

I tend to agree with you Lincoln. But there are some things I just don't want to know about. Don't ever talk to people who worked in the kitchen of a restaurant. It will change your mind about ever eating out again.
Wilson

Postby Informed Citizen » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:14 pm

Etymology of the word "overrated" leads you to Ruth's Chris.
Informed Citizen

Next

Return to Bob's Restaurant Reviews