backstageadd ND

Kildare's @ Eddy St. Commons

Our own bob_rx2000 provides a detailed look at the best dining experiences the South Bend Area has to offer!

Kildare's @ Eddy St. Commons

Postby bob_rx2000 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:44 pm

Kildare’s is a take on an Irish Pub located in the Eddy Street Common’s area at the corner of Eddy and Edison. They are recently opened and clearly oriented toward attracting the Notre Dame crowd and completing with Legends. There are a number of large screen TV’s located over the bar and an extensive selection of both bottled and draft beers are available as well as a fully stocked bar. Parking is problematic around Eddy Street Commons, the on-street parking is limited. It is possible to park in the neighborhood further down Eddy or off the side streets, or in the parking garage, or to do what I did and park in the lots at the University and walk across the street.

Kildare’s is a part of a chain that is out of Pennsylvania, but also has a branch in Chapel Hill, NC. The place seems to be doing an Irish take on Hooters with waitresses in tight tops and short skirts with an Irish theme, and it struck me as a bit odd, as if they can’t quite make their minds up about what sort of atmosphere they want. Since the chain has a video-tour of the branch located in State College (Home of the Nittany Lions), PA, I can be snarky and never one to miss out on such a chance, I’ll take it. The State College location is in a building located near what we older alums think of as the “South Halls Beach”, where coeds will sunbathe in the spring and fall. The building has been a number of things, including two different bars and when I was there, a Greek pizza shop. Knowing how Pennsylvania regulates liquor licenses and that State College’s quota has long been fully subscribed, I’m sure that they paid a pretty penny for that franchise. I suspect they'll have some issues in State College as their pricing is a bit upscale for the average PSU student...

Friday evening I dined at Kildare’s with some of my friends. The place had a brisk trade from 5:00pm until we departed around 7:30pm, but it was never fully packed and tables were open. Bar service was good and my martini was properly dry. Drinks arrived effectively until the bar became a bit busy, when the bartenders started to deliver the wrong drink. Since Kildare’s has only been open for two weeks, I believe they are still working out some of the kinks in service, although with the first home game less than a week away, they had best get that work done.

We were seated for dinner in the portion of the place met to resemble the traditional Irish pub. (They also have areas that are supposed to look like a distillery and a brewpub.) The restaurant and bar both have a lot of “hard surface” areas with lots of wood and metal surface area to reflect sounds. It is very loud in the place and conversations can quickly become difficult. The menu is pretty traditional pub-grub things, sandwiches, burgers and a few entrees. As you might expect it is a bit heavy on “Irish” pub grub items including “bangers and mash” and a shepherd’s pie. In this regard I am a bit out of place in an Irish pub since I just don’t care for mashed potatoes. However…

We started with Irish Nachos (???) which turned out to be nachos served with kettle potato chips. Three of us had the pepper steak for dinner while the other two had the poached salmon. All of us chose the Caesar salad, and ordered our steaks either medium-rare or rare. Our salads and food arrived in a reasonable time, although again it is clear Kildare’s has to work out the kinks with serving as the food was delivered to the wrong table first. I don’t quite know how to say this, since there was nothing really wrong with the food, but there just wasn’t anything special about it either. The steaks were, as often happens these days, just a bit overcooked. If you want medium-rare, order rare. The salmon entrees were a bit light on the salmon and all of us thought the steaks a bit small. Again, nothing really wrong, mind you, just absolutely ordinary for the price. Ah, yes, the prices… My martinis were $8.50 each and the steak, with a soft drink, came to about $26 plus tip.

Overall, I suspect Kildare’s will do quite nicely in that location and if you’re looking for a cold beer or drink, it is an OK place. If you’re going to dine and want anything better than average pub-grub at a bit of a premium price, you’d be advised to look elsewhere. There is nothing wrong with Kildare’s, but there is also nothing particularly memorable either.
Last edited by bob_rx2000 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Re: Kildare's @ Eddy St. Commons

Postby backstagedee » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:38 pm

Pretty much spot on, Bob. The bar does seem to do a VERY brisk business a bit later. The "edges" are a bit "sharp" for an Irish pub in my opinion.

As far as it's location, ESC seems to be very well done, and makes me a bit teary eyed.
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Postby Kingsman » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:44 pm

Bob: Kildare's is at the corner of Eddy and Angela/Edison (I guess it's Edison at that point), not Eddy and McKinley. Thanks for the thorough, as always, review.
Kingsman

Postby bob_rx2000 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:42 pm

Kingsman wrote:Bob: Kildare's is at the corner of Eddy and Angela/Edison (I guess it's Edison at that point), not Eddy and McKinley. Thanks for the thorough, as always, review.

I'm Mortified! I'll amend the review if possible, and if not, shall remain mortified until at least the next review!
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Return to Bob's Restaurant Reviews