Postby Happy Mom » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Giving guns a shot: women and firearms
Part 1

By: Tricia Harte
- Email
Posted: Tue 6:16 PM, Nov 12, 2013

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Givi ... 53461.html

Women & Guns: Part I

Record levels of women are picking up rifles, shotguns and handguns. But the women behind the magazines and barrels aren’t your stereotypical gunslingers; instead they’re moms, doctors, lawyers and secretaries. The one thing they have in common is their decision to exercise their second amendment right to bear arms.

In 2005 only 13 percent of gun owners in the United States were women. That number jumped to 23-percent of women reporting firearm ownership in 2011—a 77 percent increase in less than a decade.

“A lot of ladies started out, they wanted to feel more secure in their home or belongings,” said Jill Frank, social media representative and firearm instructor at Kodiak Firing Range in South Bend.

Kodiak said it has seen the number of women coming into the range and store skyrocket. Will Smith III manages Kodiak and said the woman he has talked to don’t want someone else to protect them. Instead, Smith said more women are expressing their desire to save themselves.

“It’s a really diverse, and they’re an awesome group,” Smith said.

Even though gun shops may be seeing more women firing at the range, the gender gap remains when it comes to personally owning a firearm. A 2011 report released by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, about one in four women claims to own a firearm, but 46 percent, or one out of every two men, personally owns a gun.

JUST FOR WOMEN:

To try to attract more female clientele, firearm merchandisers are putting out more “woman-friendly” products. Walk into Midway Gun Exchange or Midwest Gun and Range in Elkhart and see pink holsters, pink targets, pink ear and eye pieces and even pink firearms.

“We see a lot more ladies come in on Tuesdays and Sundays because it’s free,” said Midway’s owner Rocco Rigsby. At Midwest, like many other firing ranges, certain days of the week are “Ladies Night” and woman can use the firing lanes free of charge.

Rigsby said many women come in before work, on their lunch breaks and after dinnertime to get in a little extra practice.

“You’ll find that women are naturally better shots than men, so a lot of the time the men won’t even want to come with the women anymore because the women are naturally better,” Rigbsy added.

Finding a gun is a matter of personal preference and “fit” said Rigsby. For each new customer, many gun stores will go through a series of questions about intention for gun use—protection, marksmanship, hunting—and what feels most comfortable, before any purchases are made.

An increasing number of gun stores are offering free or inexpensive one-on-one instruction on basic firearm use for first timers.

SELF DEFENSE AS THE MOTIVATING FACTOR

“I was completely against it, now I’m not.”

That’s what Tracey Mackie said as she finished her first round of firearm shooting at Midwest Gun and Range. She, like many other woman, have decided it is time to learn how to use a firearm in self-defense.

Mackie described her neighborhood as “changing,” pointing to her lack of familiarity with her neighbors and rising crime rate as the primary impetus for learning how to use her gun.

When asked what drew them to the range for the first time, twenty out of twenty women told NewsCenter 16 it was for protection in the home. Increasingly women are looking inward, instead of to spouses or neighbors for a sense of security.

GROUPS FOR WOMEN:

Riding the rising trend nationwide of female gun ownership, The Well Armed Woman is a group that offers a broad spectrum of resources for women gun owners, emphasizing personal defense. The Well Armed Woman was founded in February, 2012, but now has more than 3,000 members and more than 100 chapters across the country—including a newly formed group in South Bend.

For the first time this fall, a South Bend Chapter of the organization started meeting at Kodiak Firing Range. Some of the attendees were first-time shooters, others owned a gun but had never undergone range training, while some were seasoned marksman training for the competitive level.

The Well Armed Woman website focuses on gun laws throughout the different states, using firearms for self-defense and gun safety. It’s one of many female-oriented organizations providing outlets for women to train and purchase firearms.

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Givi ... 53461.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: "Women and their Guns" WNDU Report

Postby Xenokilla » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:42 pm

sounds good to me!
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
On twitter: @Xenokilla
Check my game reviews and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/xenokillaoftaw
Xenokilla

Postby st michael jr » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:45 pm

Nothing wrong with being proactive and protecting yourself and your family. Get a lifetime permit for Indiana.
st michael jr

Postby bdcbbq » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:08 am

The Bend of the River Conservation Club in Niles has NRA's Women of Target classes. They were at capacity all year and an extra one was added due to demand. There were 5 classes in 2013. More to come in 2014. Classes are free with ammo and firearms provided.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby Xenokilla » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:45 pm

bdcbbq wrote:The Bend of the River Conservation Club in Niles has NRA's Women of Target classes. They were at capacity all year and an extra one was added due to demand. There were 5 classes in 2013. More to come in 2014. Classes are free with ammo and firearms provided.

The Kodiak Range on the south side of south bend has free handgun classes, and also has a very well attended ladies night. http://www.kodiakrange.com/
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
On twitter: @Xenokilla
Check my game reviews and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/xenokillaoftaw
Xenokilla

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:28 pm

Women and Their Guns WNDU Part III
"Armed and Fabulous"

http://www.wndu.com/news/specialreports ... 77421.html

Women and Guns: Part III

Among the growing population of women reportedly owning firearms lays a contingency of ladies who have turned their time at the range into recreation.

Firing ranges provide female-friendly options such as pink and attacker-themed targets. The point of adding these elements isn’t to make using a firearm any less serious, it’s to engage people in not just self-defense, but marksmanship as well.

Katie Schafer, a wife and mother got hooked on the ranged with a single one-on-one lesson.

“I shot some guns, then I came back the next day and I bought one,” which was only about one year ago. Since then Schafer has gone on to purchase more and more firearms, ammunition and firearm paraphernalia.

Schafer’s Facebook page is full of pictures highlighting her improved target shooting from each of her trips to Midwest Gun and Range. She is proud of the progress she’s made in terms of accuracy, but even prouder of the security she now feels by carrying a firearm.

Women only organizations like the Second Amendment Sisters and the Well Armed Women help cultivate a feeling of camaraderie among the growing female gun-owning community.

There are National Rifle Association (NRA) magazines, Facebook groups, websites and newsletters that spread the word on meeting locations and law changes across the country.

Schafer said she gets excited when she learned about a new type of concealed carry purse, bra or other female items being offered. Of which there are many.

In January, 2013, the Indiana state Police Firearms Division began publishing reports on the number of active firearm licenses in each county. Those numbers are then divided up between male and female owners.

According to those records, in 2012 there were 1,935 active firearm licenses registered to women in Elkhart County. That number jumped more than 25-percent in one year to 2,587 active licenses in 2013.
Over in St. Joseph County, there were 2,744 active licenses registered to women in 2012 and 3,033 in 2013.

Schafer is among the women riding the tide of gun ownership. Her motivation for finally buying a firearm was for personal protection as she travels across the country. She looked up interstate carrying laws and filed for the appropriate licensing in order to pack heat as she travels.

To obtain a firearm in Indiana there are several steps a person must take, and it’s not the fastest process.

Registration starts online and requires the submission of criminal and background information. Potential gun owners then must pay a fee depending on the type of firearm they wish to purchase, all before going to a local law enforcement agency for fingerprinting and more questioning.

“They ask you all these questions about mental health and I was just like, ‘Oh God, I don’t think I’m crazy,’” said Schafer as she jokingly recounted her first experience applying for a license.

The state firearms division makes the ultimate decision whether or not someone is eligible for a license.

“I sleep better at night, I literally sleep better at night,” Schafer explained. After learning handgun safety and practicing frequently at the firing range, Schafer felt comfortable with having guns inside her home for protection purposes.

When asked if she could shoot an intruder, Schafer replied “in a second,” if that individual was threatening her safety or the safety of her children.
http://www.wndu.com/news/specialreports ... 77421.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:44 pm

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Our- ... 14181.html

Our women like their guns: grandmas and self defense Pt. 2

The stigma surrounding gun ownership is diminishing as an increasing number of women, from all socioeconomic backgrounds, reportedly own firearms.

People may be surprised to hear that one of the millions of women packing heat could be a neighbor, a bank teller, or even a grandmother. Michiana firing ranges and gun stores recognize the fact that there is a greater demand for not only firearms, but training in personal defense and defensive gun use as well.

According to the Pew Research Center, the vast majority of gun owners say that having a gun makes them feel safer. Similarly, the number of gun owners naming “protection” as their top reason for having a firearm has risen 22 percentage points since 1999.

In February, 2013, Pew Research Center found that nearly half of all gun owners (48 percent) stated their primary reason for owning a gun was personal protection, while 32 percent said it was hunting, and a small percentage claimed things like target shooting.

But how often do people with firearms actually use their guns to ward off crime?

The numbers vary.

According to National Crime Victimization Surveys (NCVS) anywhere from 55,000 to 80,000 victims use their guns against offenders each year. Other criminologists have estimated that over two million people use a firearm for protection against criminals annually.

We may never know the exact number of times victims of crime uses their firearm, nonetheless, people still want to know how to use their guns just in case such an attack happens.

PREVENTION AND TRAINING:

Midwest Gun and Range in Elkhart offers NRA basic handgun training, personal protection in the home and basic rifle training, as well as a slew of specialty classes. Over in South Bend, Kodiak Firing Range teaches courses about managing confrontation, ladies personal defense and assault prevention, unarmed combatants, firearm retention, as well as seminars on refusing to be a victim.

The faces attending these classes are increasingly female, and range in age from young women to senior citizens. The faces of gun sales representatives and instructors are changing as well.

Over at Midwest Gun Exchange, Sharon Walbert meets with a lot of female clients looking to purchase a firearm for the first time. Walbert explained that many women feel more comfortable asking questions and dealing with female sales associate when it comes to purchasing a firearm.

“I see young women, middle aged women, I see grandmas, and every one of them want to know about guns and how to carry a gun, and how to buy a gun and what do I need to help me use this gun for the training,” Sharon explained.

But beyond first timers, Sharon said she’s met with women who have taken a fear of guns and transformed it into something pro-active.

REFUSING TO BE VICTIMIZED:

Sandra Hochstedler of South Bend knows firsthand how to refuse becoming a victim.

In 2009, this brave Michiana grandmother made national headlines for holding an intruder at gunpoint.

It was around 8:30 p.m. on a cold January night when Hochstedler was outside chopping wood. She remembers hearing her neighbor’s dog barking and seeing an automatic outdoor light being tripped by someone walking nearby.

She hurried her step and was able to close the door to her house before 28-year-old Cyrus Brown made his way onto her back porch.
As Brown broke through a window, Hochstedler ran to her bedroom, picked up her phone to call 911 and grabbed her handgun.

Hochstedler didn’t hesitate to order Brown to the floor of her kitchen and threaten to shoot if he moved.

“Everybody always asks me: why didn’t you shoot him?” Hochstedler explained, “you can’t just shoot someone that’s doing everything you’re telling them to do.”

Even though it has been more than four years since the incident, and her attacker is tucked away behind bars, Hochstedler still feels unsafe.

“It has changed me in a way that I really didn’t want to be changed,” said Hochstedler. She now carries her gun whenever she goes outside on her property. When she’s indoors, Hochstedler said her gun is never more than six feet away from her at any time.

Hochstedler’s encounter is exactly what many women fear could happen.

“I want to know if somebody comes into my home that I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself,” said Valerie, a regular marksman at Kodiak Firing Range, “Whether I have somebody at home with me, whether I have somebody staying with me, children around, I want to know I am capable of staying safe.”

While others, personal protection in the home has become secondary to shooting as a sport.

More and more frequently women are going to firing ranges for fun.

They describe the social aspect of female only clubs and ladies nights on the range as an excellent way to learn and communicate with a community of women sharing an interest in firearms.

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Our- ... 14181.html
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:10 pm

Happy Mom

Postby dunk50 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:50 pm

Way to go HM, I am so impressed. Your chances of being a victim have been drastically reduced. The fact that you did it all by yourself is also amazing. You won't have to wait for the Police to come chalk YOUR body outline, just take your statement. Be safe and remember, "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" :clap:
Military at 17, 7th SFG Ft. Bragg, 10th SFG Bad Tolz, 5th SFG Nam, 34 Years South Bend Police and retired. Should be fishin but I'm on here!
dunk50

Postby Happy Mom » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:33 pm

dunk50 wrote:Way to go HM, I am so impressed. Your chances of being a victim have been drastically reduced. The fact that you did it all by yourself is also amazing. You won't have to wait for the Police to come chalk YOUR body outline, just take your statement. Be safe and remember, "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" :clap:

I love you dunk!!! :romance-heartbeating: :romance-hearteyes: :romance-heartsthree:
Happy Mom

Next

Return to Quality of Life