backstageadd ND

"Women and their Guns" WNDU Report

Re: "Women and their Guns" WNDU Report

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:17 pm

st michael jr wrote:
Not sure why you don't feel safe there.

I went to 'The Well Armed Woman' meeting and two lanes were down because of customers shooting the ceiling target wires and some of the people there were not following guns safety at all and there was no one to correct them or to observe their behavior. At Midwest, there are glass observation windows and cameras. Any unsafe practice or behavior is immediately stopped for others safety. There was not enough room to stand and observe in the back and it just didn't seem as clean and kept up as other shooting ranges have been. Just a feeling and opinion. :think:
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:34 am

Well armed: Gun permits for Indiana women up 42 percent
Dana Hunsinger Benbow, dana.benbow@indystar.com 10:50 a.m. EDT April 25, 2014
(Photo: Rob Goebel / The Star)

Martina Schuett has crimson red nails that match her lipstick. She owns a spray-tan business and dotes over her 1-year-old daughter.

She also has a semi-automatic handgun slipped inside a holster in her pants.

"It's nice to be able to have that confidence and be an equal. That's what guns do. They are an equalizer," said the 30-year-old Schuett, Indianapolis. She is the owner of Tans By Tina and carries a Ruger LCP .380 at all times. "I am never going to be able to fight off a man by myself. But I can with a gun."

Protection and empowerment: Those are the driving forces behind an explosive trend in Indiana: Women with guns.

Laurie Spear of Westfield shoots a handgun during a meeting of The Well Armed Woman chapter at Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield. All the instruction in the nationwide program is focused on armed self defense for women. Laurie Spear of Westfield shoots a handgun during a meeting of The Well Armed Woman chapter at Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield. All the instruction in the nationwide program is focused on armed self defense for women. (Photo: Joe Vitti / The Star) View Fullscreen
Laurie Spear of Westfield shoots a handgun during a meeting of The Well Armed Woman chapter at Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield. All the instruction in the nationwide program is focused on armed self defense for women. Vonda Young, Westfield chapter leader of The Well Armed Woman, talks to women in a class at Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield. Martina Schuett, 30, was at the Beech Grove shooting range Thursday April 17, 2014. She carries a .38 semiautomatic on her person for protection. She is a member of a group called The Well Armed Woman. Laurie Spear of Westfield, right, listens as Vonda Young, Westfield chapter leader of The Well Armed Woman, talks to women in a class at Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield. Laurie Spear of Westfield loads a handgun magazine during a meeting of The Well Armed Woman chapter, at Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield. Martina Schuett, 30, was at the Beech Grove shooting range Thursday April 17, 2014. She carries a .38 semiautomatic on her person for protection. She is a member of a group called The Well Armed Woman. Vonda Young, Westfield chapter leader of The Well Armed Woman, demonstrates one tool used to clean a handgun in a class at Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield. Martina Schuett, 30, was at the Beech Grove shooting range Thursday April 17, 2014. She carries a .38 semiautomatic on her person for protection. She is a member of a group called The Well Armed Woman. Laurie Spear of Westfield loads a handgun magazine during a meeting of The Well Armed Woman chapter, at Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield. Martina Schuett, 30, was at the Beech Grove shooting range Thursday April 17, 2014. She carries a .38 semiautomatic on her person for protection. She is a member of a group called The Well Armed Woman.
Laurie Spear of Westfield holds up her target after shooting a handgun during a meeting of The Well Armed Woman chapter at Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield. Martina Schuett, 30, was at the Beech Grove shooting range Thursday April 17, 2014. She carries a .38 semiautomatic on her person for protection. She is a member of a group called The Well Armed Woman.

While safety is the top reason women are packing heat, plenty say they're getting gun permits for other reasons — to hunt, target shoot and as a way to connect with their gun-loving husbands. Think date night at the shooting range.

The number of women with gun permits in Indiana has jumped 42.6 percent since 2012 — from 86,617 permits two years ago to 123,536 through the first quarter of this year.

Earlier statistics aren't available because the Indiana State Police Firearms Licensing Division didn't track by gender until 2012.

During the same period, the number of firearm licenses issued to men rose 14.6 percent, an increase to 434,253 from 378,995.

The trend for women is mirrored nationwide. When the National Rifle Association's annual convention hits the city Friday, 25 percent of its 70,000 attendees will be women, said Jeremy Greene, director with the NRA's marketing division.

That's nearly 18,000 women hanging out at a gun convention. A decade ago, it would have been a feat for 5 percent or 10 percent of the attendees to be women.

So, the NRA has added female-focused events, including the Women's Leadership Forum Luncheon and Auction on Friday morning, and — a new event this year — a Women's New Energy Breakfast on Sunday.

And then, of course, there will be the pink, the purple and the glittery merchandise being sold at booths.

Retailers and manufacturers aren't letting this demographic slip by. There are bra holsters, guns decked in pink camouflage and chic purses with secret gun compartments.

Glock has a series of sub-compact and slimline handguns for women. Nonaka has a purple-toned model. Many manufacturers have female-specific styles. In Las Vegas, there is The Gun Store, an indoor shooting range that caters to bachelorette parties with pink AK-47s.

"I've lost track of how many pink and sparkly and purple and sparkly guns we've done for women," said Brian Ludlow, owner of Indy Trading Post, where buyers can get guns custom-painted. "The women, they are accessorizing their firearms."

Just this week, he painted a gun bright turquoise for a woman. But he says some women are adamantly against "girlie-colored" guns. If they're really going to be equals, they are fine with a black pistol.

As Ludlow talked women and guns over the phone from his shop Tuesday, two women walked in looking to buy guns.

"More and more and more we are seeing women in here," he said. "We're seeing so many more women coming into the shooting range, too."

That's no surprise to Paul Helmke with the School of Public & Environmental Affairs at Indiana University.

"The NRA and the gun industry have been aggressively marketing to women for a number of years," he said. "They know that long-term demographics are not running in their favor — less boys hunting with their fathers, less young men caught up in the gun culture, decline of people living in rural areas — so they are trying hard to build a new customer base."

Women are being fed the fear factor that owning and carrying a gun will make them safer, said Helmke, a former mayor of Fort Wayne and a gun control advocate.

Helmke said people who have a gun in their home are more likely to be injured or have their family injured by that firearm than they are to use it on a bad guy.

"Though those who carry are more likely to be injured than those who don't," he said.

Women are taking measures to learn safety skills.

Nationwide, female shooting clinics offered by the NRA have seen a 50 percent jump in participation, to 12,000 in 2013 from 8,000 in 2009.

Another growing educational gun program for women is called The Well Armed Woman. Its motto: "Where the Feminine and Firearms Meet."

Since its founding in 2012, The Well Armed Woman has grown to 183 chapters in 42 states with 4,600 paid members.

Indiana has seven chapters, including three in the Indianapolis area at Beech Grove Firearms Range, Eagle Creek Pistol Range and Tim's Shooting Academy of Westfield.

Not only is the program designed to equip women with gun knowledge and skills, it's a place for camaraderie.

"Guns, that whole world is such a man's world," said Vonda Young, a software development manager and leader of Westfield's The Well Armed Woman chapter. "Unfortunately, from a female perspective you do still see a lot of chauvinism. In their minds, it's still a man's world."

Women who go to chapter meetings range in age from 21 to mid-70s. They are stay-at-home moms. They are professional women in the fields of healthcare, IT and law. Young has had pregnant women attend. She's had female members of a motorcycle club show up.

Young's chapter has grown to 50 members since the first meeting in February. The monthly meetings have gotten so packed, she sometimes splits the class into two nights.

But don't mistake Young, 49 and divorced, for a lifelong gun user. She used to be vehemently against guns. Her 27-year-old son talked her into getting him a gun for Christmas several years ago. Then, he lured her to the shooting range. She fell in love.

She now has four guns in her home and always carries one in her purse, a Walther PK380. "I've found if I'm having a bad day, one of those grumpy days, I can go to the range and blow through 50 target rounds, and I feel better walking out of there," she said.

For Laurie Spear, 55, guns are a hobby. Her husband is a gun guy and a hunter. She also likes to follow the law.

"Whenever we would go out, my husband would ask me to carry his gun in my purse," said Spear, who works in logistics. "I thought, 'If we ever get pulled over and I didn't have a permit, I'd be in trouble.' "

So her permit came for practical reasons, but it didn't stop there.

She attends The Well Armed Woman each month to "learn how to really use it."

"Some of these women are incredible shots," she said. "It's a pretty empowering thing. I think if you are going to have them in your home, you need to know how to use them."

And, lately, plenty of women are keeping guns in their homes and taking them out in public.

"Women are moving into the role of self protector, when historically they were the protected," said Carrie Lightfoot, an NRA certified instructor and owner of The Well Armed Woman. "Life has really changed for women, and they are realizing that they must learn to protect themselves as the men in their lives and law enforcement can't be there."

Women aren't alone when it comes to getting guns for safety, said Capt. David R. Bursten with the Indiana State Police.

"In general, men and women elect to obtain their license to carry a handgun for the same reason," he said, "to legally carry their handgun in public places for personal protection."

That's exactly why Schuett got her gun permit soon after her daughter, Angelina, was born in March 2013.

"I realized I would feel really silly if I were out with her and (my husband) wasn't there to protect us, if something should arise, God forbid," she said.

She carries her handgun on her person to make sure her daughter can't get at it, protecting her from an accident as well as any bad guys.

"I have a little girl to think of."

Call Star reporter Dana Hunsinger Benbow at (317) 444-6012. Follow her on Twitter: @danabenbow
http://www.indystar.com/story/life/2014 ... t/8095055/
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby BobbyBeetleMishawaka » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:09 am

Anyone from SBF attend the NRA Convention? First hand reports?
THE ONLY REASON
TO BE AGAINST VOTER ID
IS IF YOU SUPPORT VOTER FRAUD.

-- Bill Adams
BobbyBeetleMishawaka

Postby bdcbbq » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:05 pm

BobbyBeetleMishawaka wrote:Anyone from SBF attend the NRA Convention? First hand reports?

I had been planning to and was volunteering. Unfortunately, I've been waiting to get my shoulder replaced. The amount of pain and misery led me to back out. I would not have had a good time. The next two are in Nashville and Louisville respectively. They are close enough to drive down so I will attend one of them. My shoulder gets replaced in 4 weeks and I can't wait until about 4 weeks after that when hopefully 75%+ of the pain will be gone and the rest tapering off.

The Facebook posts and other updates I have received makes me think this is one of the better conventions in years. I'm sure the NRA website will have reports and videos of some of the speeches.

Here's one from Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. of Wisconsin gave a rousing speech in defense of the Second Amendment at the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum on Friday:

Here are a few select quotes from the full speech:

“I am here because, as you already know, the country that we understood at its founding is under siege. It’s under siege by a cabal that would transform us into something other than what the Founding Fathers wanted for every generation that followed.”
“…This group of tyrants wants to disarm us. They want to deny you and me our freedoms guaranteed under The Constitution of the United States.”
“My fellow Americans, I’ve had it, and I’m tired of seeing the Second Amendment treated like the bastard child of The Bill of Rights. I’m tired of seeing courts of law and liberal congressional and state legislatures contort the right to keep and bear arms into a definition so limited that we don’t even recognize it. I’m tired of law-abiding citizens like you being viewed by leftist government officials as ‘clingers,’ blood-thirsty, ‘racist,’ and ‘extremist.’ I know you better than that. (Applause.)”
“These people know that the first step toward putting us back into subservience to government is to disarm us; and that’s why they fear you, because you possess the means under The Bill of Rights to keep government in check.”
“Ladies and gentleman, the armed citizen made America free, and the armed citizen will keep America free!”

Clarke affirms that he is loyal to the Constitution and he has pledged to defend freedom. He provides stories about how law-abiding citizens were limited by gun laws or were intimidated or victimized by criminals because they lacked firearms.

Sheriff Clarke explains why “the law-abiding armed citizen (is) the great equalizer” and that he “trusts the law-abiding armed citizen.” Outstanding speech.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby Xenokilla » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:59 am

My friend went and got a pic the R Lee Emery, I'm quite jealous.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
On twitter: @Xenokilla
Check my game reviews and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/xenokillaoftaw
Xenokilla

Postby Happy Mom » Mon May 05, 2014 5:50 pm

Hey Women, if You’ve Ever Been Intimidated by the Thought of Going to the Gun Range, There’s Now a Show for You
May. 5, 2014 8:50am Jonathon M. Seidl

“For many women, a public range can actually be the first barrier to picking up a gun, simply because they don’t know what to expect.”

That’s how the introduction to the new NRA show, “Love at First Shot,” begins. And if you’re a women who’s ever been intimidated by the thought of going to the gun range, it’s entirely dedicated to you.

“If you’re afraid of anything, it has power over you. So let’s take that fear factor away.”
Share:
“It’s a show for the female shooter, and really for the beginning female shooter, although it’s great for anybody,” Natalie Foster, an NRA commentator, new wife, gun enthusiast and blogger told TheBlaze.

Foster hosts the show, which just launched on the NRA Women website. “There’s no content out there to help navigate the world of firearms, and it can get so overwhelming.”

So the NRA and Foster set out to change that.

“We wanted to give women a starting point, a friendly face, a friendly format to where they can just click on it and say, ‘OK, this is what I should expect going to the range for the first time,’” she said, speaking at the NRA convention in Indianapolis earlier this month, her blond hair hanging loosely over a flowery dress.

(Source: NRA video screen shot)
Foster (right) shown enjoying a day at the gun range. (Image source: NRA video screen shot)
The show will follow Foster as she interviews industry experts and new gun users about what it means to take up shooting as a hobby as well as a means for protection. And it will walk them through how to do it.

“The point is to make all women feel welcome,” she explained. With more women than ever joining shooting in the last five years, “the industry is finally catching up to the enthusiasm of the female shooter.”

Viewers can expect everything from talk about shotguns to discussing shooting stances to understanding what to expect on a first hunt. (Foster was jetting off to the Midwest to film a turkey hunt the day after our interview). There’s even an episode guiding you through how to cook your first kill.

And it’s not like Foster — who is proficient in firearms — is standing idly by as a stoic and condescending expert. There are some things she’ll be learning along the way.

“I’ve grown to appreciate all this so much more,” she says of the experience of shooting the show.

Reducing the ‘Fear Factor’

Some may be wondering if a show about new women shooters is geared only toward younger women. “No at all,” Foster said emphatically. “It’s ageless.”

In fact, the first episode features a mother of three taking up shooting to protect herself and her children while her husband travels for work.

But besides teaching beginners the basics, Foster sees the show as fulfilling a larger purpose.

“People are so afraid of firearms,” she said. ”And it’s because they’ve been conditioned to be so fearful, and the reality is they don’t need to be.”

“It’s really about reducing the fear factor — it’s a nasty thing. If you’re afraid of anything, it has power over you. So let’s take that fear factor away.”

The show’s first episode, then, offers new shooters the “do’s and don’ts for your first trip to the range.” It also offers advice about what to wear: Cover up your legs, wear a hat if possible, and stay away from low-cut shirts. Why? Because hot shell casings can find their way into every nook and cranny:

Backlash

As Foster’s name has started to grace the lips of the gun community, she’s dealt with a variety of backlash. The “most frustrating,” she said, has been charges of being anti-male.

“I got into guns because I love guys, I love my dad, my brothers and my husband. The whole reason I got into shooting was to build a relationship with the guys in my life,” she said, echoing comments she made to TheBlaze last year.

“We all come from different backgrounds with guns. Everyone has a firearms history whether they realize it or not, from watching it on TV or being exposed to it on TV,” she said.

“Make guns your own. This [the gun community] is a place where we can all feel confident.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/05 ... w-for-you/
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:31 am

'Women on Target'
Record number of women take part in handgun class

'Women on Target'
Greg Swiercz
Stephanie Steele fires a gun, her second time in class, at the Women on Target gun education class. SBT Photo/GREG SWIERCZ

Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 6:00 am
By Kim Kilbride South Bend Tribune

SOUTH BEND — Carol Remble brought a small Beretta that belonged to her late husband and had been in a box for years to the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 36 to try her hand at shooting it.
“It was good,” Remble said after firing it for the first time. “I don’t think I hit the target many times, though…I definitely need practice.”
She was among 38 women who took part in the Women on Target handgun training class Saturday put on by area law enforcement agencies, in partnership with the National Rifle Association, at the FOP.
“It’s the biggest class ever,” South Bend Police Sgt. Tom Cameron said. “We turned away 45 ladies. The response this fall was crazy.”
Cameron has been leading the class, which is for women of all ages and with a range of shooting experience from beginner on up, for more than a decade.
He chalked up the interest in the class this fall to the assistance of social media in getting the word out.
But statistics show that more women in Indiana carry guns these days.
According to a Tribune story from this summer, the number of women with a firearms license in Indiana jumped 35 percent in the first quarter of this year compared with the first quarter of 2013. In St. Joseph County, there was a 27 percent increase.
In Saturday’s class, participants learned gun safety, how to load and unload guns and the characteristics of each different type of handgun.
“Half (of the participants),” Cameron said, “are here for self defense.” The others, he said, want to learn about guns because their husband or significant other has a gun in the house.
“Knowledge is power,” he said. “If you don’t understand something, you are scared of it.”
After three hours of classroom instruction, participants headed out to the range at the FOP where they were able to try out a variety of handguns.
Julie Cummins, from Osceola, attended with her mother-in-law and sister-in-law.
After her first time shooting a handgun — a .22 caliber — she said she’d consider buying one.
For Stephanie Steele, of South Bend, it was her second time to take part in the class.
“It’s just fun,” she said, “to come learn about weapons and safety. I shot a revolver last year. It was fun…It’s just practice.”

Cindy Jewell of South Bend, foreground, and Shirley Whitmer, of Niles, receive shooting instructions Saturday at the Women on Target gun education class sponsored by area law enforcement at the FOP Lodge No. 36 in South Bend. SBT Photo/GREG SWIERCZ

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/lo ... 49001.html
Happy Mom

Postby st michael jr » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:00 am

I'm glad to see women are taking responsibility to protect themselves. This world is getting crazier by the minute
st michael jr

Postby bdcbbq » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:14 am

st michael jr wrote:I'm glad to see women are taking responsibility to protect themselves. This world is getting crazier by the minute

Bend of the River Conservation Club offers Women on Target classes regularly. They fill up quickly, as do basic pistol and MI CHL classes.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Previous

Return to Quality of Life