backstageadd ND

New Indiana law says move over or get fined!!!!

New Indiana law says move over or get fined!!!!

Postby Happy Mom » Wed May 27, 2015 7:02 pm

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!! ABOUT TIME!!!!

New Indiana law says move over or get fined
Zach Crenshaw
POSTED: 04:15 PM EDT May 27, 2015 UPDATED: 06:53 PM EDT May 27, 2015

New law says move over or get fined

MISHAWAKA -
Move over slower drivers or risk being fined.

An Indiana law that takes effect on July 1st allows for slower drivers staying in the left lane to be ticketed if another car is looking to pass them.

The law gives faster drivers in the left lane the right of way, but does not change the speed limit laws at all.

House Republican Jud McMillin sponsored the law and says its goal is to make the roads safer and make drivers more aware of their surroundings.

Some drivers are thrilled that the new law holds sometimes frustrating drivers accountable.

"We got a lot of guys in the left lane doing under the speed limit, and you shouldn't be in the left lane if you doing under the speed limit anyway, you need to be in the right lane where you're supposed to be," said Kevin Crozier, who has been driving semi's for 26 years.

Joanne Klich says she uses cruise control so she does not speed often, but is still in favor of the new law.

"I think it's a good idea because it causes an accident if somebody comes right up against you and you get nervous. It's just easier if you move over to the right," said Klich. "That's the way it is in Europe, the fast lane is on the left."

McMillin says the 'left lane' and 'fast lane' are already synonymous and a law here in a U.S. but this new ticketing option gives the existing law some 'teeth.'

The law was approved unanimously by the Indiana house and cleared the senate as we
ll.

The fines can be up to $500, but McMillin says that is the absolute maximum and would rarely, if ever, be seen. Some drivers say regardless of the fine, it is unenforceable and wrong.

"I don't agree with [the fines] at all," said Winter Steffen. "If the speeders are speeding they should be the ones getting ticketed, not the person who is in the left lane." :hand: :naughty: :roll:

Many simply question how police will even enforce the law.

"How much time are you given? Because if traffic is heavy on your right how quickly do you have to move over in order to let someone go past you?," wondered Rich Klich. "Another thing I'm concerned about is if I am already doing 5 to 10 miles an hour over the limit how much faster is this guy going to go [behind me]?"

McMillin says the law is not about making money, and that officers will pull over speeders before they pull over someone in the left lane.

The law does not apply during traffic congestion, bad weather, paying a toll, or exiting on the left.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/new-indi ... d/33248920
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: New Indiana law says move over or get fined!!!!

Postby bob_rx2000 » Thu May 28, 2015 7:19 am

OK, does this law apply to semis? They are, in my opinion, the real problem in this regard on the toll road. How many times do you encounter the semi going 50mph being passed by the semi going 55mph while a string of cars stack up behind the two? This is the most common situation that I've encountered.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Re: New Indiana law says move over or get fined!!!!

Postby Happy Mom » Thu May 28, 2015 7:21 am

bob_rx2000 wrote:OK, does this law apply to semis? They are, in my opinion, the real problem in this regard on the toll road. How many times do you encounter the semi going 50mph being passed by the semi going 55mph while a string of cars stack up behind the two? This is the most common situation that I've encountered.

You are exactly correct.... and what is even more dangerous, is that when you are finally able to pass, they are using their phone... scares the beejeezus out of me... :o
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Return to Quality of Life