backstageadd ND

Power failure caused campus computer shutdown

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:50 pm

Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 3:14 pm | Updated: 3:24 pm, Tue Dec 15, 2015.
By Margaret Fosmoe South Bend Tribune

The Internet service outage Monday on area college campuses was caused by a power outage in a data suite at Union Station Technology Center in downtown South Bend, according to Marianne Chitwood, director of the I-Light Network, an Internet service provider for colleges and universities in Indiana.
As of Tuesday, it remained unclear what caused the power outage.

The outage shut down Internet service for more than two hours Monday afternoon at the University of Notre Dame, Indiana University South Bend, Holy Cross College, Ivy Tech Community College in South Bend and Elkhart, and Bethel College. Several of the colleges were in the midst of final exams.
I-Light leases space for its equipment from Grand Rapids, Mich.-based U.S. Signal, which has a data center in Union Station Technology Center, 506 W. South St. in South Bend.

It was a dual power failure, with both the main power source and the backup system failing, Chitwood said. Only one data suite in the building lost power, she said.
The backup power system is supposed to run for eight hours, but it stopped after 35 minutes, she said. I-Light has never experienced such a failure before and an investigation is underway into the cause, Chitwood said.
Internet access was restored about 5:30 p.m. Monday at the area colleges.
I-Light, based in Indianapolis and Bloomington, Ind., is an optical-fiber network linking colleges across the state to each other and to the Internet.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/lo ... 736fa.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: Power failure caused campus computer shutdown

Postby Xenokilla » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:04 pm

Thats quite the screw up for a data center with their kind of rating.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
On twitter: @Xenokilla
Check my game reviews and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/xenokillaoftaw
Xenokilla

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:25 pm

Xenokilla wrote:That's quite the screw up for a data center with their kind of rating.

This happened right in the middle of exams to a University that spends loads of money to get quality work... Last year, Notre DameFederal Credit Union screwed up royally with an update which erased information needed for Tax returns, and was immediately replaced with 1st Source Bank. I'm wondering if the same thing will happen to the i-light company. If there was not a reliable back-up, they should be replaced immediately...
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Xenokilla » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:38 pm

Happy Mom wrote:
Xenokilla wrote:That's quite the screw up for a data center with their kind of rating.

This happened right in the middle of exams to a University that spends loads of money to get quality work... Last year, Notre DameFederal Credit Union screwed up royally with an update which erased information needed for Tax returns, and was immediately replaced with 1st Source Bank. I'm wondering if the same thing will happen to the i-light company. If there was not a reliable back-up, they should be replaced immediately...

i know more than i care to about data centers, and they usually run the power through a battery backup (UPS) that allows the power lines to drop and the battery to take over right away, most places have about 10 minutes of battery, which is more then enough time for the generator to kick in, which is sounds like it did, why it only ran for 35min then shut off i have no idea but its not supposed to do that.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
Xenokilla

Postby bob_rx2000 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:49 am

Xenokilla wrote:
Happy Mom wrote:

i know more than i care to about data centers, and they usually run the power through a battery backup (UPS) that allows the power lines to drop and the battery to take over right away, most places have about 10 minutes of battery, which is more then enough time for the generator to kick in, which is sounds like it did, why it only ran for 35min then shut off i have no idea but its not supposed to do that.

Gee, think something is fishy? About either story?
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby Xenokilla » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:33 am

bob_rx2000 wrote:Gee, think something is fishy? About either story?

no, just normal old incompetence i'd guess.
Xenokilla

Return to Quality of Life