backstageadd ND

MEDIA BIAS

The truth you won't hear from the media

MEDIA BIAS

Postby Happy Mom » Mon May 28, 2012 2:12 pm

Archbishop: Networks 'missed the boat' on coverage of church's ObamaCare lawsuits

Published May 27, 2012

FoxNews.com

The archbishop of Washington on Sunday accused the network news programs of having "missed the boat" by largely ignoring lawsuits filed this past week by Catholic institutions challenging the Obama administration's so-called contraception mandate.

Cardinal Donald Wuerl, speaking on "Fox News Sunday," was responding to an analysis by the conservative Media Research Center of how the networks' evening newscasts treated coverage of the dozen federal lawsuits filed Monday. According to the center, CBS spent 19 seconds on the story after it broke, while the other networks gave it no coverage.

"It is puzzling, particularly since they're focusing so much attention right now on the pope's butler," Wuerl said, in reference the scandal in which the pope's butler Paolo Gabriele was charged with stealing sensitive documents and is suspected of leaking them.
:hand: :naughty:

"It seems to me that somehow they've missed the boat. They've missed the story," Wuerl said.

The story, the archbishop said, is "religious liberty."

Wuerl adamantly defended the lawsuits, which were filed by dozens of Catholic-affiliated institutions including schools, charities and the Archdiocese of Washington.

Asked about speculation that the suits were just a vehicle for conservative members of the church to go after President Obama -- considering dozens of dioceses did not join the suit -- Wuerl said the Catholic community is unified.

"I have yet to see among the bishops any split at all," he said.

The contraception mandate was originally a requirement on religious-affiliated institutions to provide access to free contraceptive coverage, as part of the federal health care overhaul. After outcry from Catholic leaders, the administration tweaked the rule so that insurers would be responsible for providing that coverage directly.

The Obama administration argues in defense of the rule by noting that almost 99 percent of women have used contraception and many struggle with the cost, and that a majority of states already require insurance to cover birth control.

Wuerl, though, said this has never been applied at the federal level. "This whole lawsuit isn't about contraception. It's about religious freedom," he said.

He also challenged the administration's "accommodation" to religious groups, noting that many archdioceses are self-insured.

"We are the insurer," he said. "There's no accommodation."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05 ... -coverage/
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: MEDIA BIAS

Postby raycyrx » Mon May 28, 2012 2:27 pm

The media is not concerned with religious freedom.
The Church is not a hotel for saints. It is a hospital for sinners.
St. Augustine
raycyrx

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:31 pm

NBC edits Romney rally speech to portray candidate as out of touch

By Perry Chiaramonte

Published June 19, 2012

FoxNews.com

NBC is taking heat again for selective editing a day after presenting video of Mitt Romney seemingly awestruck by the process of ordering a sandwich at a convenience store.

During an afternoon broadcast of "Andrea Mitchell Reports," video of the GOP presidential candidate seemed to show a politician out of touch as he discussed ordering a hoagie at Wawa.

The video clip went viral after the blogsite SooperMexican.com pointed out in a post that it appeared doctored.

“It’s amazing," Romney said, as the Pennsylvania crowd appeared to laugh. Then viewers saw Romney say, "You have a touchtone keypad, and you touch that, touch this, go pay the cashier, there’s your sandwich.”

What viewers didn't see or hear was nearly three minutes of Romney discussing the nightmare of paperwork faced by an optometrist he'd talked to in trying to get the post office to change his address. He expressed mock amazement at Wawa's efficiency to underscore how the private sector often runs circles around the clumsy bureaucracy.

"We went to Wawas and it was instructive to me, because I saw the difference between the private sector and the governmental sector. People who work in government are good people and I respect what they do, but you see, the challenge with government is that it doesn’t have competition,” Romney said in a portion edited out of the segment.

But Mitchell invoked an old perceived campaign stumble by George Bush, who supposedly marveled at a supermarket scanner at a grocers' convention during his failed 1992 re-election bid. Even though Bush was actually impressed not by an ordinary scanner, but by a then state-of-the-art device that could weigh food and read damaged bar codes, the anecdote was reported by The New York Times and offered as evidence that Bush was out of touch with everyday Americans.

Representatives for the Romney campaign declined to comment, but officials from the Romney camp had reached out to the Peacock Network, which promised they would correct the issue.

At the opening of Tuesday’s show, Mitchell addressed criticism over the misleading edits.

“There’s been a lot of discussion about a conversation you and I had yesterday, Mitchell said to MSNBC contributor Chris Cillizza, “We ran clips of Mitt Romney in Cornwall, Pa., talking about his trip to a Wawa.”

“The RNC and the campaign both reached out to us saying that Romney had more to say about that visit, about federal bureaucracy and innovation in the private sector,” she added before playing the unedited clip from the rally.

Lauren Skowronski, a spokeswoman for NBC, which owns MSNBC, denied that any deceptive editing took place.

"MSNBC did not edit anything out of order or out of sequence and at no time did we intend to deceive our viewers," Skowronski said.

Last August, Ed Schultz of MSNBC played an edited clip in which then-presidential candidate Rick Perry described the national debt as a “big black cloud that hangs over America” to make it sound like a racial dig at President Obama. Schultz later apologized.

And in March, NBC was caught editing the audio of George Zimmerman's 911 call as he watched Trayvon Martin in the minutes before he fatally shot the Florida teen. On a tape edited and played on the “Today” show, Zimmerman was heard calling Martin “suspicious” and volunteering that he was “black.” But the full, unedited tape showed that Zimmerman only mentioned Martin’s race when asked by the dispatcher. The result made it sound like Zimmerman was racially profiling Martin. The network fired three people after getting widespread criticism.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06 ... out-touch/
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:08 am

Peacock pride: NBC ignores 'Wawagate' furor

By Perry Chiaramonte

Published June 20, 2012

FoxNews.com

Three days after one of its highest-profile news anchors played manipulated video that made Mitt Romney appear out of touch with everyday voters, NBC officials seem content to let the controversy die down without an apology or explanation.

Other than issuing a terse, one-sentence statement late Tuesday afternoon, NBC has virtually ignored what the blogosphere dubbed “Wawagate.” The carefully-edited segment, aired on Monday's edition of "Andrea Mitchell Reports," spliced together a Romney speech, making it appear that he was expressing genuine amazement at a convenience store's use of technology to take sandwich orders. In reality, he was facetiously comparing the tech-savvy private sector to the clumsy government bureaucracy

“All standards have gone out the window,” said Brent Bozell, president of the Media Research Center, which compared the edited MSNBC clip to unedited video of the rally on YouTube.

“They are editing at will and it doesn’t matter that they are caught. My guess is that they will continue to do it,” Bozell added.

Former MSNBC anchor David Shuster said the network should have owned up to its mistake.

"Covering up Wawa video is bad for accuracy," said Shuster, who was guest hosting for Bill Press on MSNBC competitor Current TV. "Digging in their heels, they have made this, instead of a one-day story, a three-day story," he said.

Writing in Investor's Business Daily, Andrew Malcolm recalled similar distortions aimed at Dan Quayle and President George Bush.

"The repetitive media meme for Republicans is 'out of touch,'" Malcolm wrote. "Well, this may be the best/worst one yet."

Still, the network declined to comment on Wednesday, apparently standing on a Tuesday statement denying any wrongdoing.

"MSNBC did not edit anything out of order or out of sequence and at no time did we intend to deceive our viewers," NBC spokeswoman Lauren Skowronski said in a written statement provided to FoxNews.com.

Romney's comment came on a Pennsylvania campaign stop in which he discussed ordering a sandwich at convenience chain Wawa.

“It’s amazing," Romney said, as the Pennsylvania crowd appeared to laugh. Then viewers saw Romney say, "You have a touchtone keypad, and you touch that, touch this, go pay the cashier, there’s your sandwich. It’s amazing.”

After the clip, Mitchell and MSNBC contributor Chris Cillizza laughed out loud as Romney seemed to be in awe of the touchscreen menu board.

What Romney actually was referring to as amazing was explained in the rest of the video that originally didn’t make it to air.

Viewers didn't see or hear was nearly three minutes of Romney discussing the nightmare of paperwork faced by an optometrist trying to get a change of address completed. He expressed mock amazement at Wawa's efficiency to underscore how the private sector often runs circles around the clumsy bureaucracy.

"We went to Wawas and it was instructive to me, because I saw the difference between the private sector and the governmental sector. People who work in government are good people and I respect what they do, but you see, the challenge with government is that it doesn’t have competition,” Romney said in a portion edited out of the segment.

On the original broadcast, Mitchell compared Romney’s “gaffe” to an old perceived campaign flub by George Bush Sr., who supposedly marveled at a supermarket scanner at a grocers' convention during his failed 1992 re-election bid. Even though Bush was actually impressed not by an ordinary scanner, but by a then state-of-the-art device that could weigh food and read damaged bar codes, the anecdote was reported by The New York Times and offered as evidence that Bush was out of touch with everyday Americans.

“It’s so unnecessary. So trite to make the comparison to Bush 41 and the scanner gaffe,” Bozell said,

Officials for the Romney Campaign declined to comment on the matter.

Requests for comment to multiple officials at MSNBC and parent company NBC Universal were not immediately returned.

“Wawagate” is not the first time NBC has caught flack for their news coverage in recent months.

Last August, Ed Schultz of MSNBC played an edited clip in which then-presidential candidate Rick Perry described the national debt as a “big black cloud that hangs over America” to make it sound like a racial dig at President Obama. Schultz later apologized.

And in March, NBC was caught editing the audio of George Zimmerman's 911 call as he watched Trayvon Martin in the minutes before he fatally shot the Florida teen. On a tape edited and played on the “Today” show, Zimmerman was heard calling Martin “suspicious” and volunteering that he was “black.” But the full, unedited tape showed that Zimmerman only mentioned Martin’s race when asked by the dispatcher. The result made it sound like Zimmerman was racially profiling Martin. The network fired three people after getting widespread criticism.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06 ... ate-gaffe/
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:33 pm

CNN story shows economists favor Romney -- but headline stresses they do so 'reluctantly'

Published October 02, 2012

FoxNews.com

Even the good news for Mitt Romney come wrapped in a bad news ribbon.

A recent CNNMoney story reported that the Republican presidential nominee, despite trailing in a number of swing state polls, is the overwhelming choice among economists surveyed. They picked him, according to CNNMoney, by a 3-to-1 margin. However, CNNMoney made sure to stress in the headline that they did so "reluctantly."

The article was part of a CNNMoney survey in which nine of 17 economists picked the Republican presidential nominee when asked whose election would help the economy grow more.

Only three picked President Obama, and the remaining five made no pick, “with several suggesting neither (candidate) would provide much of a lift to the sagging economy."

The headline, though, sounded like it was a downer for the GOP nominee: "Economists reluctantly pick Romney."

“Would CNNMoney have reported that economists ‘reluctantly’ picked President Obama by a 3-to-1 margin?” the website NewsBusters asked in a story Tuesday pointing out the headline.

CNN was contacted about the headline early Tuesday afternoon but has yet to respond.

The first two economists quoted in the story were less than flattering for Romney, saying “he doesn’t understand how to govern” but that his policies compared against Obama’s would be “less bad for the economy.”

The most supportive economist comment for Romney is the final quote in the story.

Allen Sinai of Decision Economics said Romney's calls for “cutting growth of government outlays, lowering tax rates and closing loopholes, less regulatory uncertainty ... smaller government and entitlement reform all must be tackled."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10 ... oice-made/
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:36 pm

MSNBC host questions Romney's mental health

By Ken Shepherd

Published October 02, 2012

Distorting an interview Ann Romney gave to a Nevada media outlet last week, MSNBC daytime anchor (and onetime co-anchor of ABC’s Nightline) Martin Bashir tried to impugn the mental health of GOP candidate Mitt Romney on his Monday program.

Bashir was seizing on comments Mrs. Romney made to Reno’s KTVN on Thursday in which she said her chief concern, if her husband was elected, would be his “mental well-being,” even as she praised her husband’s capabilities: “I have all the confidence in the world in his ability, in his decisiveness and his leadership skills, in his understanding of the economy, in his understanding of what's missing right now in the economy – you know, pieces that are missing to get this jumpstarted. So for me I think it would just be the emotional part of it.”

While Mrs. Romney demonstrated her support for her spouse and an understanding of the rigors of the presidency in the interview, to Bashir, it was a golden opportunity to run a segment strongly suggesting that Gov. Romney may not be mentally fit for duty as president.

Bashir called the segment "Being Willard Romney." He directed his first question to liberal pundit and Guardian columnist Ana Marie Cox. The MSNBC host first asked: “Mrs. Romney has expressed concerns about her husband's mental well-being, but do you get the feeling that perhaps there's more to this than she's saying?”

Cox seemed a bit taken aback by Bashir's query: “Well, Martin, I actually think this is sort of one area where I'm hesitant to mock too much. I think that the relationship between Mitt and Ann…”

Interrupting Cox, Bashir shot back that he was dead serious:

“I'm not asking you to mock, Ana Marie, I'm asking you a serious question. No, I'm not asking you to mock. His wife has said, and volunteered, that her number one concern for her husband is his mental health and mental well-being. I'm asking you do you think that she knows things about him that provoke that kind of concern?”

Rather than attack Bashir for taking Romney out of context or for hitting below-the-belt with a nakedly-partisan cheap shot, Cox then gave a diplomatic response where she noted that Romney seems to handle campaign stress pretty well and that he certainly handled well the incredible stress of the world of private equity finance. Cox held out that Romney "seems like the kind of guy who's really hard on himself, so, maybe she is concerned for him."

Bashir then moved on to his other guest, Washington Post editorial writer and MSNBC contributor Jonathan Capehart, asking another version of the same question: “Jonathan, as this campaign has progressed, I've noticed that Mr. Romney has become increasingly impatient and testy, particularly when asked polite questions by the media. Is it therefore fair to assume that Mr. Romney does have difficulties when the pressure on him increases, ’cause we've heard David Axelrod describe [the] presidential campaign as an MRI for the soul.”

"I don't fault him for being testy," the liberal Post writer answered, chalking up Romney's demeanor to troublesome polling data. Capehart didn't seem to outright accept Bashir's premise that Romney was not mentally suited for the pressures of the presidency, but he also failed, like Cox, to chastise Bashir for his low blow.

Bashir's deliberate decision to take Mrs. Romney’s comments out of context -- and his rampant, baseless speculation about Mitt Romney's mental health – prove just one thing: it’s Bashir who's sick in the head.

Ken Shepherd is Managing Editor of the Media Research Center’s blog, NewsBusters.org.
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/10/ ... -comments/
Happy Mom

Postby johndobee » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:27 pm

My only question would be thusly put: "Ann Romney, why in theee @#$% are you talking to anyone from NBC?". Inquiring minds want to know.
Conservative Union Member (yes, there are lots of us).
johndobee

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:46 pm

Surprisingly Funny!!! In fact hilarious!!!!SLN Mocks MSNBC's reaction to Debate....

http://www.ijreview.com/2012/10/18419-h ... -analysis/
Happy Mom

Postby NMSB » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:55 pm

Happy Mom wrote:Surprisingly Funny!!! In fact hilarious!!!!SLN Mocks MSNBC's reaction to Debate....

http://www.ijreview.com/2012/10/18419-h ... -analysis/

I like it!
I love South Bend so I read and post comments on South Bend Forum.
NMSB

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:24 am

Reporters applaud Obama's slam on Romney's wealth

By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times

October 17, 2012, 12:27AM

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. — The room set aside for reporters to watch Tuesday night's debate erupted into applause after President Obama ridiculed the size of Mitt Romney's personal wealth.

Mr. Romney was trying to make the point that both his and Mr. Obama's investment funds probably include investments in China — something the president has attacked Mr. Romney for.

"Mr. President, have you looked at your pension?" Mr. Romney said.

"You know, I don't look at my pension. It's not as big as yours, so it — it doesn't take as long," Mr. Obama retorted. His reply prompted laughter in the debate hall where the two men were squaring off — but across the way in the separate room where the press was stationed, a brief round of applause broke out.

Mr. Obama has made Mr. Romney's personal wealth a major issue in the campaign, arguing that he is out of touch with average voters who pay a higher income tax rate even though they earn far less than Mr. Romney, who founded and ran Bain Capital, an investment firm.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/ins ... ys-wealth/
Happy Mom

Next

Return to Political Watch