backstageadd ND

TSA, Horror Stories

The truth you won't hear from the media

TSA, Horror Stories

Postby Happy Mom » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:28 am

It Ought to Be Curtains for the TSA
The agency is designed to do nothing except gawk, and now we all know it.
By Charles C. W. Cooke

It has been the worst-kept secret of the last decade: a truth that dared speak its name only when muttered quietly, a ruse that has been justified and rejustified on grounds that would never traditionally pass muster; and a target for Americans across the political board — for the recalcitrant, for the complaisant, and for those somewhere in between.

It, of course, is the TSA — that vain, extravagant, and unhappily anxious piece of post-9/11 performance art that has been extended far beyond Broadway and out onto a permanent tour of the provinces, in whose airports a cast of little Napoleons engage gravely in what has become nothing less than an impudent con.

The federal government has spent more than $60 billion on the TSA since 2002, a sum that has helped the outfit mushroom into the employer of some 65,000 people — more than the combined forces of the Departments of State, Labor, Energy, Education, and Housing and Urban Development. A congressional report from 2012 aptly labeled the congregation “an enormous, inflexible and distracted bureaucracy,” mostly interested in “consolidating power,” and a few months later, as if to grimly prove the point, the agency secured for itself a union contract via the American Federation of Government Employees. The first order of business naturally was to establish that annual leave be calculated not on anything as prosaic as job performance but instead on good old-fashioned seniority, the patron saint of inefficiency and inertia.

One can rather understand why the TSA’s bumptious stiffs were so keen to break the link between the security of their positions and the security of the public: They are doing nothing, and they know it. Here, incompetence is a feature not a bug — the foreordained product of a vast and intricate confidence-laundering operation that would have made the Wizard of Oz blush. Vanity Fair’s Charles C. Mann explained candidly in 2011 that the TSA’s actions are explicitly set up to “accomplish nothing,” and “designed” instead “to make the government look like it is on the job.”

Obstinate critics of the state will presumably agree that the TSA has, at least, achieved that. Casual rudeness? Check. Terminal inefficiency? Check. Pococurante abuse, with precious little to show for it? Check, check. The TSA is the platonic ideal of a government department! It belongs in the Smithsonian.

In a free country such as America, the scale of the TSA’s inadequacy should by now have been cause for a revolt. Time after time, contrarians and the skeptics have set out to puncture the façade — and they have succeeded. Among the attempts, Adam Savage, the scofflaw co-host of Discovery’s Mythbusters, managed to get a pair of twelve-inch razor blades through the system and onto a plane; undercover agents from DHS’s investigative “Red Team” snuck a dummy IED past agents, despite being subjected to magnometer scans and pat-downs; and an executive for the New Orleans Hornets recently took a loaded handgun in his carry-on luggage without so much as a raised eyebrow.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/3 ... -c-w-cooke
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: TSA, Horror Stories

Postby Happy Mom » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:15 am

They don’t need to see me naked — some suggestions for TSA
Written by Allen West on January 31, 2014

I do a lot of traveling so I’m quite familiar with the Transportation Security Agency (TSA). In my overall experience, these are good -hearted Americans who are doing their duty.

Now, I admit, there are one or two who are lacking in “customer service skills.” I remember coming back from a trip to Israel and having some nice skin cream from the Dead Sea that a TSA agent in Newark confiscated and tossed into the trash bin – even though I showed him the purchase receipt. Funny thing, it got through security at Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion airport.

So on that subject, Poltico has an article by former TSA Agent Jason Edward Harrington entitled, “Dear America, I saw you naked. And yes we ere laughing. Confessions of an ex-TSA Agent.”

Harrington says he was called into his boss’ office after he sent a letter to the New York Times after Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab had tried to detonate 80 grams of a highly explosive powder while on Northwest Airlines Flight 253. Harrington said

The TSA saw the near-miss as proof that aviation security could not be ensured without the installation of full-body scanners in every U.S. airport. But the agency’s many critics called its decision just another knee-jerk response to an attempted terrorist attack. I agreed, and wrote to the Times saying as much.

He kept his job, but Harrington said he hated it, “patting down the crotches of children, the elderly and even infants as part of the post-9/11 airport security show.”

The story I found most appalling was of having to confiscate a bottle of champagne from a group of Marines coming home from Afghanistan intended as a celebration for young decorate soldier in a wheelchair, both legs lost to an I.E.D.

Sadly, these experiences had a negative effect on Harrington as well as others, as he said,

I quickly discovered I was working for an agency whose morale was among the lowest in the U.S. government. In private, most TSA officers I talked to told me they felt the agency’s day-to-day operations represented an abuse of public trust and funds.

I always offer a simple thank you to the TSA agents when I’m flying. I recognize theirs is a thankless job, not because of who they are, bu the bureaucrats who develop the insidious rules and regulations which restrict the use of common sense and wise discretion.

Do we have a fool-proof airport security system? Absolutely not, actually I believe we operate under a false sense of security to placate a government hierarchy. Why don’t we institute a trend analysis system of airport security? I doubt we will have another shoe bomber.

My solution would be to establish a base set of federal airport security standards issued for all airports. Instead of a federal TSA agency, I’d delegate that responsibility to the respective airports. They would have to maintain the level of standards issued from the federal government, but nothing could restrain them from adding standards based upon their respective locations. And there would be regular announced and unannounced inspections.

Saturday I fly back from St. Louis to West Palm Beach. I will thank the TSA agents who, for the most part, are doing their best under conditions of stupidity.

What has been your best and worst experience with the TSA?

Read more at http://allenbwest.com/2014/01/dont-need ... W3jAy7U.99
http://allenbwest.com/2014/01/dont-need ... tions-tsa/
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: TSA, Horror Stories

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:03 am

HORROR! TSA Beats Disabled Girl Bloody at Memphis Airport (Video)

Posted on 01 July 2016

tsa bloodied girl
TSA agents beat a disabled girl with a brain tumor bloody in Memphis on her way home from the hospital.

The girl and her mother are suing the TSA for abuse.
Raw Story reported:
A disabled woman was beaten bloody by federal agents during an airport security screening while on her way to undergo treatment for a brain tumor.
Hannah Cohen set off the metal detector at a security checkpoint at the Memphis International Airport, and she was led away for additional screening, reported WREG-TV.

“They wanted to do further scanning, (but) she was reluctant — she didn’t understand what they were about to do,” said her mother, Shirley Cohen.
Cohen said she tried to tell agents with the Transportation Security Administration that her 19-year-old daughter is partially deaf, blind in one eye, paralyzed and easily confused — but she said police kept her away from the security agents.

The confused and terrified young woman tried to run away, her mother said, and agents violently took her to the ground.
“She’s trying to get away from them, but in the next instant, one of them had her down on the ground and hit her head on the floor,” Cohen said. “There was blood everywhere.”

The young woman, who was returning home after finishing treatment for the brain tumor at St. Jude Hospital, was arrested and booked into jail.
Authorities eventually threw out the charges against Hannah Cohen, but her family has filed a lawsuit against Memphis police, airport police and the TSA.

http://www.mediacircus.com/2016/07/horr ... ort-video/
Happy Mom

Return to Political Watch