backstageadd ND

SB(PD)Undercover Blog - Read It Often!

Re: SB(PD)Undercover Blog - Read It Often!

Postby Bingo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:24 pm

Now he wants to spend money on a minority hiring consultant. Give me the money I can tell you the answers. Not enough money on the base pay, and they can't pass the tests. :think:
Bingo

Postby dunk50 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:01 pm

Bingo, YOU FORGOT. If they can pass the test they can get a job paying double what the pd is paying!!
Military at 17, 7th SFG Ft. Bragg, 10th SFG Bad Tolz, 5th SFG Nam, 34 Years South Bend Police and retired. Should be fishin but I'm on here!
dunk50

Postby Bingo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:03 am

I didn't forget, I thought about it and left it out. :think:
Bingo

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:45 pm

South Bend Police welcome 6 new diverse recruits to the force

Posted: Wed 5:48 PM, Mar 18, 2015
By: Shaun Gallagher - Email

Law enforcement and community relations have been a hot topic after recent events in Ferguson, Mo. and South Bend is no different.

SOUTH BEND, Ind. --- Six new recruits were welcomed to the South Bend Police force Wednesday from what's considered the most diverse and well-educated class from the academy ever.

Since events in Ferguson, Mo., President Barack Obama created a task force to address tensions between law enforcement and communities. It was highly publicized that the Ferguson Police force was more than 90 percent white, in a community with less than 30 percent white citizens. So while transparency and training were also highlighted in the President's task force, diversity is a point of emphasis as well.

South Bend and other cities across the country are doing their best to hire a qualified, diverse police force and Wednesday was the first step in creating a force that better reflects the community.

"It's very important that we have a police force that reflects the community it serves," South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg said. "We're going to continue driving to make sure we have excellent, qualified minority applicants and excellent applicants from all backgrounds. We see that in this class and we're planning on seeing that in future classes too."

Six people received their badges today; four white males, an African-American male and a Hispanic woman. Currently, less than 10 percent of the South Bend Police force is black, even though 26.6 percent of the population is African-American. So this class is the first step in better reflecting the face of the community.

"South Bend is a very diverse community," South Bend Police Chief Ron Teachman said. "We want to have a department that is culturally competent, understands the community, brings a variety of perspectives to the work place and also, it should be said that we're trying to create a problem solving police department, working closely with the community to solve its issues with crime and quality of life."

Teachman says this newest class of 137 graduates from the academy are the most diverse and well-educated the state has seen. He hopes other police chiefs in the state are striving to reflect the community better like he's trying to do in South Bend.

"The officers have an understanding of the community because they come from it, even if they're not born and raised in South Bend, they understand the various cultural issues or demographic issues that go into a diverse community," Teachman said. "They can discuss that in the work place and help their fellow officers understand different perspectives."

"Few positions in the city are more important than the police officer," Buttigieg said. "The officer is on the front lines of not only law enforcement but of the relationship between the community and the city. It's vitally important that we have good officers. We have six very promising officers here with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. A lot of diversity in where they come from and how they approach the job. That's a good thing. The issue of how the police and community relate to each other is at its most sensitive and talked about in years. It's more important than ever that we recruit great officers and I think these six officers are a very promising example of what's to come."

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Sout ... 91621.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Kingsman » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:00 am

I like the "culturally competent" phrase. That could be tomorrow's hot buzz word. Until it catches on, I'm comfortable with "diversity."
Kingsman

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:30 am

Kingsman wrote:I like the "culturally competent" phrase. That could be tomorrow's hot buzz word. Until it catches on, I'm comfortable with "diversity."

I like "culturally competent" too! I also am so offended when I hear "White Privilege." To me that is as offensive as calling a black the 'n' word. :naughty: :hand: :roll:
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:10 am

Leaving gun at hotel leads to suspension for South Bend cop

Suzy Dieter
South Bend police Officer Suzy Dieter
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:50 pm | Updated: 4:29 pm, Wed Apr 15, 2015.
South Bend Tribune Report
SOUTH BEND — A city police officer will be suspended for three days after she forgot her gun when she checked out of a hotel room during a personal trip to Detroit in December.
South Bend police Officer Suzy Dieter left her service weapon in the hotel room after traveling to Detroit for a Dec. 6 football game, Police Chief Ron Teachman wrote in a March 31 letter to Dieter.

When Dieter returned to South Bend, she notified her supervisor, Capt. Jeff Rynearson, and contacted hotel management and the Detroit Police Department. Rynearson went to Detroit to get the gun, according to the letter.
Dieter's error was a violation of the department's duty manual, which says an officer shall not lose equipment through negligence, Teachman wrote.
Dieter asked to make her case before the city Board of Public Safety, but the board denied a hearing at its meeting Wednesday. Officers are entitled to an automatic hearing for any discipline equal to or greater than a five-day suspension.
http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/pu ... 6ecd9.html
Happy Mom

Postby bubblyone » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Sorry to hear this. Know she must have felt awful...who wouldn't??? I won't cast any stones, because I am convinced my neighbors are laughing at me daily when I leave the house, drive around the block, go back in the house to retrieve whatever I forgot (did it this morning with a bag I left at the door so I wouldn't forget) happens at least three times a week...call it life. For suzie ( I do not know her) sorry it was her gun:(
bubblyone

Postby bdcbbq » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:11 pm

People occasionally do forget or misplace a firearm. But there isn't really any excuse that makes it okay,
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby bubblyone » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:32 pm

bdcbbq wrote:People occasionally do forget or misplace a firearm. But there isn't really any excuse that makes it okay,

I know that, and she knows that, it's called life. We all do dumb things, unfortunately this one was regarding a gun. I am sorry this happened, to her or anyone else. Just shows she is human too!
bubblyone

PreviousNext

Return to South Bend