backstageadd ND

SB(PD)Undercover Blog - Read It Often!

Re: SB(PD)Undercover Blog - Read It Often!

Postby Happy Mom » Wed May 23, 2012 8:56 pm

Dunk50, I have tried to reply and leave you a message of congratulations on SBPDUNdercover but for some reason it won't let me posts... :cry:
Anyway I'm so proud of your courage!
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Wed May 30, 2012 7:13 am

Power Of Media.
Posted on May 30, 2012 by SBUndercover

ABC57 continues to be the only station still following up at all on this Boykings/DePaepe/Buttigieg controversy at all. That is either because they have the exclusive with Karen D and her atty., or the others (WSBT/WNDU/Tribune) are SO in tight with the city political machine that they have the official ‘stand down’ issued.

So which do you think it is?

A combination of the above more than likely. If you think the media does not have sway and influence in the area, look at the miniscule reporting going on reference the Butch Morgan controversy. Isn’t ballot stuffing ‘kind of a big deal’?

What does this have to do with the SBPD drama? Well, yesterday ABC57 reported that the South Bend Common Council continues to lean on Mayor Pete for answers and resolutions about the “‘Answers needed’ about alleged threats of city employee”, saying that

Davis and Scott go on to say, “the Council has hear absolutely nothing from either Chief Hurley or Mayor Buttigieg about this alleged incident involving one of our police officers who is a city employee being verbally threatened.”

You would think that SOMETHING would be done by a police chief and his administration about employee harassment, since it is a violation of city employee policy and probably sets case for a hostile work environment. But you forget the connected-ness of key players, and the fact that council in this matter also holds no real “power” over this particular matter.

The silence from the west wing actually says much.

It’s going to be a long, hot, dangerous summer.

http://sbundercover.wordpress.com/2012/ ... /#more-745
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby dunk50 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:32 am

Happy Mom wrote:Dunk50, I have tried to reply and leave you a message of congratulations on SBPDUNdercover but for some reason it won't let me posts... :cry:
Anyway I'm so proud of your courage!

HM, I have no idea why you can't leave a message. There were 5 attached to that thread. Maybe Pete will answer. Dunk
Military at 17, 7th SFG Ft. Bragg, 10th SFG Bad Tolz, 5th SFG Nam, 34 Years South Bend Police and retired. Should be fishin but I'm on here!
dunk50

Postby Happy Mom » Thu May 31, 2012 9:33 am

Talking to the Media
Posted on May 30, 2012 by SBUndercover

I have had literally dozens of emails in the SBU inbox since this website’s inception for requests to talk to the media. Pete Malloy has been around the block and as much as this officer would love to speak freely ON camera as much as I do off camera, I don’t.

Here is why.

Jack Stilp.

Amidst all of the turmoil and chaos regarding this intricate plot of audio tape, alleged racial slurs, and political jockeying for one’s personal gain, is the uniform patrol officer.

These poor guys show up to work, try to not be feloniously assaulted or killed, and to simply go home to their families at the end of a shift. Then repeat the next day.

The uniform patrol officers are the biggest losers in all of this. Not Capt. Boykins. Not a terminated civilian employee. They too, have some screwing over going on, but a guy like Stilp gets the SBPD double whammy.

How is that? Well, as the media outlets have reported, Stilp alleges that MHU Commander Tim Corbett has threatened him in regards to “you day shifters” who are discussing the matter. Pete himself takes part in these discussions, as well, because WE ALL DO.

However Stilp made one fatal error here. Well actually two or three.

1) He followed policy. By Jack making an Officer Report (an internal document for you non PD types) vs a threat/intimidation code 2 case report, Dvorak claims he cannot investigate… because it is hearsay, and is not a criminal offense. So that is what he should have done in regards to an employee vs employee matter. Because that is the means to document we are mandated to follow.

2) He then violated another policy. He spoke to the media. Without the express permission to do so. Whistle blower type people don’t matter in this house. The SBPD General Order on the department Public Information Policy clearly states:

IV. PERSONNEL AUTHORIZED TO SPEAK TO THE MEDIA
A. The media shall be encouraged to contact a P.I.O. directly for information releases. The
media shall be given the P.I.O.’s direct office number.
B. Only the Chief of Police, or designated representative, may release:
1. Sensitive information
2. Any information regarding an internal investigation
3. Officer involved shooting
4. Police action resulting in the death or serious injury of a person
5. Disciplinary action regarding Department personnel
6. Budget issues, Department goals, allocation of resources and the interpretation of Department policies
7. Other sensitive information

So you see, Jack got a verbal reprimand for his commendable efforts:

Since then, our sources inside the department tell us Stilp has been verbally reprimanded by his Captain and the Division Chief for Uniformed Officers.

to stop a guy like Tim Corbett from allegedly harassing him by documenting the incident as he is directed to. I would say a fellow officer, but Corbett is an employee of the St. Joseph County Prosecutor’s Office, and not a SBPD employee. Thus further murking the waters.

And as reported in the same ABC57 article and originated by a SBU commenter- (which is presumably the ABC57 source for the quote below- come on guys, throw SBU a little shout out, here, will you??) it is said about Tim:

But because Corbett’s reputation in law enforcement circles of being an incredibly valuable asset for his ability to get results, and thus having protection other officers do not enjoy, has earned him the nickname Teflon Tim; some don’t believe anything will stick even if the claims do turn out to be true…..

According to a democrat insider, the results of the investigation have already been determined and that Stilp will be suspended by Hurley for speaking to the media while Dvorak is to back Corbett.

Yeah, do you think??

So who do you think has the greater likelihood of getting into trouble over this matter– Corbett… or the day shift PFC risking ass?

In this department- and county- we already know the answer.

And again, why Pete can’t directly speak to the media on his own. Of course, some can argue that Officer Malloy has his own protections and safety net among all of this political crap-shoveling, but you too could be wrong. Either way, SBU exists to discuss these issues as it’s own filter.

One more reason a site like SBU needs to exist- to provide SBPD officers and employees an anonymous voice, protection from identity, and a means to speak out. So get commenting on this, SBPD!
http://sbundercover.wordpress.com/2012/ ... /#more-747
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:33 am

See That Bus, Jack?
Posted on June 14, 2012 by SBUndercover

As WSBT reported yesterday, the St. Joseph County Prosecutor’s Office has named David Steele, a former FBI agent, as the “independent” investigator who will look into claims the head of the St. Joseph County Metro Homicide Division Tim Corbett threatened a South Bend police officer- Jack Stilp.

But what SBU wants to know is….

WNDU said it will be a CONFIDENTIAL, independent investigation. The SBU typing room chatter ask a afew questions:

1) Confidential. Meaning just between.. who?

2) Surely David Steele isn’t running this investigation pro bono out of compelling civic duty. So when your paycheck is coming from someone, conventional wisdom dictates you have a measure of SOME degree of partiality. (i.e. The SJC Prosecutors Office)

3) Hurley STILL has nothing to say to the SBPD officers regarding this matter.

4) The common council (or at least two members) has especially liked to grandstand inthe media asking for justice, where’s the cry to action? What about the “unnamed second officer’?

The fact of the matter is that having the moniker of “retired FBI agent” means little to nothing at this point. Stilp should see the Transpo bus pulling up in front of 701 right now in preparation for being thrown under it.

Sorry Jack, Pete wishes there was something else I could do to help you , but at this point, there’s not good odds on a “fair” investigation leaning in this corner.
http://sbundercover.wordpress.com/2012/ ... /#more-819
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:19 am

← The new SBU staff
The $1000.00 per Month BREAKROOM
Posted on June 18, 2012 by SBUndercover

Pete’s Note: This piece is written by our newest SBU contributor, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot.

Among all of the leadership drama going on around here, I need to comment on the “Downtown Substation” that the city and the department is paying for.

WSBT reported that the substation on Michigan street near the Chocolate Cafe will be open this week. Great for downtown, right? Not so fast.

Let me make a few notable points:

The substation will primarily be used by officers who are patrolling the downtown area — including around Coveleski Stadium and the East Race — on bike, foot and on one of the department’s two T3s (three-wheeled upright scooters).

First of all, let’s be clear that SBPD has no bike patrol unit. No officers assigned to this as a matter of daily use, or shifts. All patrols downtown come from part time grants in four hour shifts, and not even daily.

So folks, instead of riding from the station (roughly 800 S Lafayette)- SEVEN BLOCKS- for a four hour bike patrol OT shift, to get to the same area, Officers will drive that extra distance, park a squad car outside for “visibility” and then ride the bikes. Brilliant.

“It will be a hub for downtown patrols,” Trent said.

You mean for day shifters to hang out in, since that is the only shift that actually “staffs” the downtown beat (45).

Trent said the substation will not be staffed 24/7, and the public will still be asked to go to police headquarters at 701 W. Sample St. to file police reports.

So what is the point to even having an office if it is not for the public to have access to use? Exactly.

The facility will mainly be used, for example, as a place officers can come for lunch or water breaks. Officers may also be able to charge their T3s at the site and do bicycle repairs.

Rare sighting of SBPD PFC John Kronewitter NOT on his cell phone while working!

A ‘place to come for lunch breaks’, Phil? Are you guys freaking kidding me?? As an officer and as a taxpayer this just baffles me.

People…. This is a damned glorified breakroom!!!!

In short, this space is purely for the officers that don’t hang out on station (which has a decent breakroom and occasional donated food), and a chance to politick and gossip for those who make it their daily mission to do so, under the illusion of safety downtown.

“It’s a place to serve officers downtown,” Trent said. “It’s a way so they don’t have to go back to central.”

What, Phil??? Yes that extra eight block distance to 701 is so terrible. Come on. Especially because Sample street is honestly perfectly located as central to the city.

The building will not be for public use; officers are not expected to fill out police reports at the site.

Especially since we all do our reports from the cars. The laptops need to be “docked’ to be able to submit a report, along with tickets, etc. I know we will have ‘wifi’ access but really its pointless because this piece of crap software we use requires it to be done IN CAR.

So if you read the article closely, the craziest thing about it all that is costing the taxpayers for this breakroom:

The South Bend Redevelopment Commission unanimously approved a deal in May to allow the police department to use the city-owned space. The South Bend Police Department will pay the South Bend Redevelopment Commission $895.49 per month to rent and be responsible for paying utilities at the location.

So wait, let me get this straight. The CITY owns the building, and is making the department pay to rent the space from itself to a third party entity who is not for profit. What the holy hell is wrong with this???

You have a retail storefront that the city cannot attract a qualified business into, so you shell game the money- that the department has not budgeted in its 2012 budget- so where does the money come from???

Someone commented last week on here that St Joseph County may be more corrupt than Lake County. Looking at this news article, I have to agree. This place is more f***ed up than we all realize, not just the SB police department.

- WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
LEO
http://sbundercover.wordpress.com/2012/ ... /#more-824
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:54 am

Sue The City? Not just for mopes anymore.
Posted on June 20, 2012 by SBUndercover

With the announcement that Corbett, Richmond, Young, and Wells intend to sue the city to cover their asses seal the tapes, Now Boykins and his attorney are doing the same thing. and suing the city too.

I guess everyone sees how the city pays out all this money to anyone and everyone and want to get a piece for themselves.
What baffles Pete so much about Tom Dixon (representing Boykins) is the comments in the tort claim ….

In the document, the attorney notes that the extent of damages is indefinable at this time, but Boykins’ drop in pay was roughly $10,000 per year and he is eligible to work for 15 more years.

He also notes that because of the defamation to his reputation and “intentional infliction of emotional distress,” that those damages are unable to be quantified.

The notice goes on to state that they feel the demotion was racially motivated.

“The mayor’s continued defiant and aggressive stance against my client can only be seen as being motivated by racial animus. Indeed, since taking office in January 2012, this mayor has demoted or gotten rid of the three highest ranking African American employees in the City. He has replaced Chief Boykins with a white man who was recently fired for malfeasance in law enforcement.”

“continued defiant and aggressive stance”? If you read the news, Buttigieg has had not one directly negative thing to say in regard to Boykins as a person or in his leadership, other than the tapes part. I’ve read arrest reports with less twisting of the words than this allegation!

In reagrds to “getting rid of the three highest ranking” Dixon mentions, first of all, as a reminder the mayor by STATE LAW can appoint these positions at will.

1) SBPD Boykins being one.. It’s common place in Indiana police and sheriff departments that a new regime comes in and makes these changes. It is for this reason that rank drops back to the last rank held to protect any possible vindictiveness of rank. Nice try though.

2) SBFD Chief Buchannan- retired on his own in January. Hardly a forced racial move.

3) Who is the third, Lynn Coleman? That is purely cleaning dead weight out of the mayor’s office that Luecke failed to do for HIS tenure there.

While I appreciate the Race Card so freely being tossed around by Boykins and his attorney, there are many a SBPD rank and file officer that could also cite being passed over for specialty units (SWAT, SRO, K9, DB, Sgt., etc.) that SBU could point out since Boykins took office that also somewhat clearly shows an ‘alleged’ bias towards minority officers over while male cops also for these positions.

Do you really want to go there, or are you just playing that card trying to make a nice payday before taking the pension? By playing the Race Card like Henry Davis said?

As for the dig on Hurley being fired by UND for “malfeasance” with handling of an trustee investigation, well, that was clever being thrown in there, Tom.

But hey, Mayor Pete says morale here is getting better, right, my friends?
http://sbundercover.wordpress.com/2012/ ... /#more-834
Happy Mom

Postby Bingo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:47 pm

Is anyone else having login problems with sbundercover?
Bingo

Postby dunk50 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:49 pm

Bingo Checked and seems to work fine!!!
Military at 17, 7th SFG Ft. Bragg, 10th SFG Bad Tolz, 5th SFG Nam, 34 Years South Bend Police and retired. Should be fishin but I'm on here!
dunk50

Postby johndobee » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:36 pm

Hahaha! I LOVED the piece about the "offsite" police hub! Everything mentioned was going through my head as I listened to the news release about this. Just another waste of money by the city. Good job SBU!
Conservative Union Member (yes, there are lots of us).
johndobee

PreviousNext

Return to South Bend