backstageadd ND

Explosive developments in the federal wiretapping investigat

Explosive developments in the federal wiretapping investigat

Postby Gamblinbug » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Top cops, one wife threaten to sue city over recorded SBPD phone line

"Commander Tim Corbett, Assistant Commander and South Bend Police Lt. Dave Wells, Detective Bureau Division Chief Steve Richmond, Detective Brian Young and his wife Sandy Young have taken the first step in filing a lawsuit against the city."

http://www.wsbt.com/news/wsbt-top-cops- ... 8302.story
CHECK OUT OUR DYING CITY AND THE CORRUPTION WITHIN YOU DECIDE FOR YOURSELF.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ISPYFORU1
Gamblinbug

Re: Explosive developments in the federal wiretapping invest

Postby Happy Mom » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:11 am

Officers on tapes may sue South Bend

By KELLI STOPCZYNSKI WSBT-TV

9:59 p.m. EDT, June 15, 2012
SOUTH BEND -- There have been explosive developments in the case involving a federal wiretapping investigation into recording policies at the South Bend Police Department.

The Metro Homicide commander, three police officers and one of their wives are claiming they are victims in the case.

Commander Tim Corbett, Assistant Commander and South Bend police Lt. Dave Wells, Detective Bureau Division Chief Steve Richmond, Detective Brian Young and his wife, Sandy Young, have taken the first step in filing a lawsuit against the city.

Through their attorneys, at Pfeifer, Morgan & Stesiak, the five filed separate tort claim notices this week.

A tort claim notice is a legal step people must take before they can sue a municipality, warning the city that a lawsuit may happen and explaining which laws they believe were broken.

In the letters dated June 11, all claim they talked on a phone line they didn't know was being recorded -- for an undetermined period of time -- which violates state and federal wiretapping laws. According to the letters, they became aware that the phone line was recorded on Jan. 6.

WSBT learned that the phone line belonged to Young, and his wife is listed as a victim because she called him on it.

The letters also allege the five "sustained damage to (their) reputation(s) resulting in a hostile work environment."

They're asking for damages for each offense -- meaning each time they were recorded in a conversation without their knowledge, each time someone made a copy of any of those conversations and each time someone listened to one of those conversations.

Four lines in the letters are redacted, or blacked out. The city attorney's office said it did so Friday because of personnel reasons.

The wiretapping scandal broke at the end of March when Mayor Pete Buttigieg demoted police Chief Darryl Boykins and later fired communications director Karen DePaepe. Buttigieg said federal investigators told him making personnel changes would keep federal charges from being filed.

DePaepe has said she stumbled across conversations she felt were offensive on the phone line that was mistakenly recorded in the detective bureau.

Earlier this month, David Capp, U.S. attorney for northern Indiana, said in a letter that neither Boykins nor DePaepe would be prosecuted.

The man who wrote the Federal Wiretap Act recently told WSBT the recorded conversations DePaepe found offensive will never be played publicly, which means we are no closer to finding out what's in them. But Dan Pfeifer, one of the attorneys who represents the five, told WSBT, "I don't care what's on the tapes; it makes no difference to me what's on the tapes. It's the fact that it was illegally recorded."

Pfeifer also said neither he nor anyone in his office has heard the recordings.

When reached by phone Friday, Corbett and Wells declined to comment on the matter and referred questions to their attorney.

The city has 90 days from the filing date to respond to the claim or, according to the letters, the officers, Corbett and Young's wife will move forward with the lawsuit.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/sb ... 3382.story
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby dunk50 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:28 am

WOW, just like real life. The SUSPECTS become the victims! The actual victims get victimized AGAIN! South Bend Democrats at their finest :hand: Now maybe the SUSPECTS will SUE Boykins and Depaupe for defamation, NO WAIT, they will wait until the Mayor orders all recordings and documantaion of the incident destroyed then with NO evidence to the contrary they will sue. And all this without Butch! Way to go DEM'S :clap:
Military at 17, 7th SFG Ft. Bragg, 10th SFG Bad Tolz, 5th SFG Nam, 34 Years South Bend Police and retired. Should be fishin but I'm on here!
dunk50

Postby bubblyone » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:59 am

I nearly flipped when I read the Tribune. So Corbett, is going to cry like a baby because of hostile work environment?? Is that the pot calling the kettle black or what? I think they should all lose their jobs. They go to work get paid, use City phones and offices to have personal conversations on worktime. That right there should have gotten them fired. Forget about wiretapping. Any fool knows that your employer has the right to monitor your useage of internet and computers, and can check phone records all day long if they want...i.e. they can see who you are calling and how long you are talking. These boneheads have never heard of a personal cell phone? They must be dumber than most, and now, they want to sue the very entity that employs them, feeds them, pays their bills and the like? Please, do me a favor and kick them to the curb. Maybe they can go work for an ambulance chaser!
bubblyone

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:49 am

bubblyone wrote:I nearly flipped when I read the Tribune. So Corbett, is going to cry like a baby because of hostile work environment?? Is that the pot calling the kettle black or what? I think they should all lose their jobs. They go to work get paid, use City phones and offices to have personal conversations on worktime. That right there should have gotten them fired. Forget about wiretapping. Any fool knows that your employer has the right to monitor your useage of internet and computers, and can check phone records all day long if they want...i.e. they can see who you are calling and how long you are talking. These boneheads have never heard of a personal cell phone? They must be dumber than most, and now, they want to sue the very entity that employs them, feeds them, pays their bills and the like? Please, do me a favor and kick them to the curb. Maybe they can go work for an ambulance chaser!

301.00 Norms Of Behavior
Posted on June 19, 2012 by SBUndercover

Did you see the WSBT article on Friday where the key players in this tape drama basically identified themselves by filing an intention of lawsuit against the city?

Reading between the lines, Commander Tim Corbett, Assistant Commander and South Bend Police Lt. Dave Wells, Detective Bureau Division Chief Steve Richmond, Detective Brian Young and his wife Sandy Young have taken the first step in filing a lawsuit against the city.

Super job of being proactive to cover your own tracks, guys.

You see they all give claim they talked on a phone line they didn’t know was being recorded “for an undetermined period of time,” which violates state and federal wiretapping laws. According to the letters, they became aware that the phone line was recorded on Jan. 6.

The letters also allege the five “sustained damage to (their) reputation(s) resulting in a hostile work environment.

What!?!?!? This place has been 100% hostile work environment for years. And if you morons couldn’t figure out that you are working for a police department who may just want to record conversations for ridiculous things like …evidence… then you guys have nobody to blame but yourselves.

Thanks to all four of you for continuing to put a black eye on this department just because you are so concerned with covering your own asses over things you said on a recorded line.

Oh and the title of today’s piece? It’s from the section of the SBPD Duty Manual on Code of Conduct. Maybe you all can take a moment to re-familiarize yourselves on it since you violate two codes of conduct there at least. Maybe Hurley will launch an IA for ‘conduct unbecoming’.

-City Kid

http://sbundercover.wordpress.com/2012/ ... -behavior/
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Babyblue » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:39 am

So according to ABC57 (you have to luv that station) the most they could get from the city is $ 10,000.00 each for the illegal listening plus reasonable attorney fees and and then money for their defomation of character.

Gee, did anyone think the tape could have the conversation with the FBI since one or all of them wanted the chief removed. It seems to me by letting the public know you are doing this now more or less is stying there are things on there you do not want known out loud to the public
Babyblue

Postby dunk50 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:22 pm

????? Did not the Notre Dame Law Prof. that helped write the Wiretap law make a statement a few weeks ago about this issue. As I recall he said that the only legal way for the recordings to ever see the light of day is IF ONE OF THE PERSONS ON THE TAPES FILED A SUIT. This is the link! http://articles.wsbt.com/2012-06-01/fed ... n_31966265

The QUOTE in this article is this: "According to Blakey, the only way the tapes would ever be played in a semi-public environment is in a courtroom, and that would only happen if the people who were mistakenly recorded and did not know they were being recorded on that line in the detective bureau filed lawsuits against the city." End quote, WHAT A BUNCH OF IDIOTS!! :think:
Military at 17, 7th SFG Ft. Bragg, 10th SFG Bad Tolz, 5th SFG Nam, 34 Years South Bend Police and retired. Should be fishin but I'm on here!
dunk50

Postby Doe » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:47 pm

dunk50 wrote:????? Did not the Notre Dame Law Prof. that helped write the Wiretap law make a statement a few weeks ago about this issue. As I recall he said that the only legal way for the recordings to ever see the light of day is IF ONE OF THE PERSONS ON THE TAPES FILED A SUIT. This is the link! http://articles.wsbt.com/2012-06-01/fed ... n_31966265

The QUOTE in this article is this: "According to Blakey, the only way the tapes would ever be played in a semi-public environment is in a courtroom, and that would only happen if the people who were mistakenly recorded and did not know they were being recorded on that line in the detective bureau filed lawsuits against the city." End quote, WHAT A BUNCH OF IDIOTS!! :think:

These guys need to hire YOU as a consultant instead of whoever is advising them now.
Doe

Postby dunk50 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Doe, I tried teaching some of them, obviously they did not listen. They KNEW it all! SO BE IT!!! :whistle: They could end up with 10K from the suit and then FiRED FOR BEING RACIST!!!!
dunk50

Postby bdcbbq » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:34 am

They could end up with 10K from the suit

I thought I read that it was $10K per incident. That ups the ante quite a bit.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Next

Return to South Bend