backstageadd ND

Music

Mishawaka, Osceola, Elkhart, Plymouth, etc.

Music

Postby Don Wheeler » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:31 pm

Mason makes some magic at Best Buy

Rewards come to those who pay attention.

In Friday's South Bend Tribune, Andy Hughes gave us a heads up on one of the more improbable sounding events I'd ever come across. Dave Mason was going to be appearing for free at Best Buy in Mishawaka.

Best Buy is not exactly a venue I think of for cool, live music - let alone one for legendary performers. But it wasn't a spoof, and boy, was it a nice show.

Yes, we are talking about same guy. The guy who played with Traffic, Jimi Hendrix, and has a bunch of solo albums - including several commercial successes.

"At age 18, the Worcester England native teamed up with Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi and Chris Wood to form the legendary band Traffic. At 19, Mason penned the song "Feelin' Alright". This song has since become a rock and roll anthem, having been recorded by well over 48 artists, the best known version being Joe Cocker. The group's profound influence over rock music remains unquestioned even today. Mason departed from the group after their second album.

In 1969 Dave headed for the USA to pursue a solo career. He struck gold with the album "Alone Together", which is considered a rock classic. This was followed by five albums for CBS/Sony including "Dave Mason" and "Mariposa De Oro", four of which received gold albums. "Let It Flow", which has gone well over platinum, contained the classic "We Just Disagree", a
top-ten single!

In addition to performing to sold-out audiences, Mason performed on a number of albums such as The Rolling Stones' "Beggars's Banquet", George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass", Paul McCartney's "Listen To What The Man Said" and Jimi Hendrix's "Electric Ladyland". One of the songs from the "Ladyland" album, "All Along the Watchtower", featured Dave playing acoustic guitar. This song, written by Bob Dylan, remains a big favorite in Dave's live show!"

from http://dave-mason.com

For those of us who haven't followed Dave in a while, he had a bit of a surprise for us. Playing lead next to him was Johnne Sambataro of Firefall fame. When Dave introduced Johnne, he suggested that we might prevail on Johnne to play something later. Johnne then strummed an Fmajor7 chord - and the crowd reacted "Ohh!". It was instantly recognized as the first chord in "Just remember I love You". He later treated us to an abbreviated version of the song, which was well received.

Dave opened the show with a cut from his new album (well worth owning, by the way). Then, his gorgeous looking and sounding black twelve-string sounded the familiar opening of "We just disagree".

I must confess that when that song was released, it got so much radio play that I grew to loath it. Not any more. The song works better with just two guitars, sung by a man who's now lived a while. And I've lived a while now, too.

Dave treated us to "Feelin' Alright", "Hey Mr. Fantasy" and "All Along The Watchtower" as well as some of his new stuff.

Mr. Mason must take care of himself. His voice sounds just the same to me, and he sure plays a nice guitar. And he has a cause he's supporting:

"John Niekrash founded Work Vessels For Veterans (WVFV), a foundation to assist returning U.S. military personnel looking to start their own business.

John is a commercial lobsterman in Connecticut and donated his boat to a returning U.S. Marine last April, as he needed a bigger vessel. Thus began WVFV; the full story can be seen on his web site,
http://www.workvesselsforvets.org

Rock 'n roll legend Dave Mason is a good friend of John’s and is on his board of advisors along with Fox sports' Tony Siragusa. Dave Mason has helped raise money and awareness for WVFV through some of his shows and is a very strong supporter of the men and women of our Military."

People had a great time. The store sold out the entire display of Dave's CD. I'd guess almost half the crowd stuck around for autographs.

As for me - just another day in an abundant life.

from http://progressives.org
Don Wheeler

Re: Music

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:37 pm

OMG, I saw that in the Tribune and thought they were just doing a story on him... I can't believe I missed him... :cry:
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Return to Michiana Area