backstageadd ND

Mishawaka Ems

Mishawaka, Osceola, Elkhart, Plymouth, etc.

Mishawaka Ems

Postby Happy At Last » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:14 am

Why is it that whenever there is something to report negative about police or fire it is all over the news 24/7, But when a mishawaka ems received a DUI 6 to 8 weeks ago it has been kept hush hush. Even after last weeks meeting of Board of public works and safety gave him his punishment not a word said. This person is just as responsible for public safety and paid by taxpayers. Only punishment given so far is 30 day unpaid leave and not to drive ambulance also breathalizer on personal vehicle. Why not demotion like everybody else? why not public knowing like everybody else? why not picture all over news like everybody else? All of this would be public knowledge I guess if that is what the apple cheek boy in charge wants the public to know.
Happy At Last

Re: Mishawaka Ems

Postby Wilson » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:25 am

So....who was it?
Wilson

Postby johndobee » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:13 am

Yes,, who was it?
Oh,, love that avatar!
Conservative Union Member (yes, there are lots of us).
johndobee

Postby bdcbbq » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:40 pm

EMS workers are really unsung heroes that most people think of as an afterthought or an ancillary service. They aren't as "dramatic" a story as a cop of firemen. Besides the media thinks cops should be perfect and should be held to a different standard. Frankly I don't care if a cop gets a DUI or not, unless he's on duty. Off duty, they should be treated like anyone else.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby scotthums » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:50 pm

bdcbbq wrote:EMS workers are really unsung heroes that most people think of as an afterthought or an ancillary service. They aren't as "dramatic" a story as a cop of firemen. Besides the media thinks cops should be perfect and should be held to a different standard. Frankly I don't care if a cop gets a DUI or not, unless he's on duty. Off duty, they should be treated like anyone else.

When someone who represents "the people" in the law enforcement world breaks a law, it is a bigger deal than if it was someone else.

Just like...
When a journalist is found fabricating stories, it is a bigger deal than if someone else was fabricating stories.
When a firefighter is found setting fires, it is a bigger deal than if someone else was fabricating stories.
When a school teacher is found molesting kids, it is a bigger deal than if someone else was molesting kids.

You must admit, there is a certain irony to a law enforcement officer breaking the law.

I am surprised no one is running with this story though.
scotthums

Postby bdcbbq » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:35 pm

Scott,

One difference in the examples you provide are that they are all felonies vs. a misdemeanor. I never said they shouldn't receive consequences. I just feel that the attitude towards a DUI cop is more finger pointing and self righteousness. Your journalist example is not necessarily a crime but it is fraud.

I'm just a little more tolerant of some crimes that people can be arrested for.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby scotthums » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:24 pm

bdcbbq wrote:Scott,

One difference in the examples you provide are that they are all felonies vs. a misdemeanor. I never said they shouldn't receive consequences. I just feel that the attitude towards a DUI cop is more finger pointing and self righteousness. Your journalist example is not necessarily a crime but it is fraud.

I'm just a little more tolerant of some crimes that people can be arrested for.

I didn't compare those to DUI, I compared them to the same crimes perpetrated by a random person. Irony is the reason why it is a bigger deal. I think the same thing would happen if a judge or prosecutor got a DUI. Anytime someone involved in law enforcement breaks a law, the hypocrisy becomes a factor. I think it's a little heavier on the finger-pointing than in the self-righteousness, but that's the rub.

The problem is more that the possibilities for hypocrisy is much wider for law enforcement because it's literally every law. A police officer, judge, or prosecutor breaks any law, they are violating the thing they swore to protect. A journalist or teacher, by trade, only have links to fewer possibilities to hypocrisy.

Now, if you want to debate whether any "standard" DUI arrest is news that's another thing. I'm just telling you the reason why it seems a police DUI stands out from the average person. Do any "standard" DUI arrests deserve to be in a newscast? That's a good question and is one I don't have an answer to.
scotthums

Postby Happy At Last » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:51 pm

The DUI is public record because it has been in court. The punishment is also public record as of the 02/03/09 meeting in Mishawaka. I thought the local press covered all board of public works and safety meetings, not just the ones they thought were newsworthy. If the public truly had any idea of what being a FIRE, POLICE,or EMS employee entailed..........!
Happy At Last

Postby bob_rx2000 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:55 am

Well, as always, if this person was guilty as charged, and was punished just as any other person would have been with a similar record and in similar circumstances, I just don't care who it was specifically.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby st michael jr » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:54 pm

Amen, Bob!
st michael jr

Return to Michiana Area