backstageadd ND

Update on Area Street Panhandlers

Mishawaka, Osceola, Elkhart, Plymouth, etc.

Re: Update on Area Street Panhandlers

Postby dunk50 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:27 pm

Bill Joachim, and lest we forget Billy Roseboom. Literally hundreds of arrests on these two. The Padddy wagon didn't even want to transport them. And by the way, in the old city jaul we kept a cupboard full of booze for these guys. You did not want them going into withdrawal on your shift. Take them to the kitchen and let them pick there brand and a good 1/4 bottle later and all was good! Try that today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:
Military at 17, 7th SFG Ft. Bragg, 10th SFG Bad Tolz, 5th SFG Nam, 34 Years South Bend Police and retired. Should be fishin but I'm on here!
dunk50

Postby Ben A. Around » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:41 pm

Billy Roseboom! That's the one I couldn't think of. Now when they lock them up they go to the medical unit at the jail and get a pitcher of icewater to help them detox. Except ofcourse for Hepler who continues to brew his own.
Ben A. Around

Postby southsider » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:56 am

I would love to see the mug shots of these fellas. Anyone know where I can dig them up?
southsider

Postby Betsy Wallace » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:09 am

Don't forget Jeffery Brown. Though I haven't seen him in awhile, then again I am not downtown much.
Betsy Wallace

Postby Ben A. Around » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Downtown Jeffery Brown currently resides 401 W. Sample, G-pod
Ben A. Around

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:37 pm

'Suckers' for panhandling?

Updated: Thu 6:25 PM, Jun 25, 2015
By: Tricia Harte - Email

Thursday morning, three woman gathered at the corner of Lincolnway and Ironwood in South Bend to take a stand against corner begging, handing out candy suckers to drivers who get “suckered” into giving cash to panhandlers.
Panhandlers: they’re on street corners, medians and in public spaces.

Thursday morning, three woman gathered at the corner of Lincolnway and Ironwood in South Bend to take a stand against corner begging, handing out candy suckers to drivers who get “suckered” into giving cash to panhandlers.

“I want to bring awareness,” said Annette Feirrell who proudly stood on the corner handing out lollipops to drivers,
“there are need people that they should donate to reputable charities and stop giving to panhandlers.”

Their message is clear: they ask people to donate to local homeless shelters and other charities instead of giving money to curb-side panhandlers.

“Stop being suckered,” Feirrell added.

Joining Feirrell in her protest was Janet Stephens, a member of the growing facebook group dedicated to “Michiana’s Panhandler Invasion.”

Stephens said she sees more panhandlers now than ever before.

“It must be profitable otherwise they wouldn’t do it,” said Stephens.

Carrying a neon yellow sign asking drivers to “honk” if they were frustrated with panhandlers, Stephen said the city of South Bend needs to amends its panhandling ordinance to make it more restrictive. Her fear, and others in the Facebook group, is that the growing presence of panhandlers could pose safety issues for drivers in traffic.

Under Indiana Code, “panhandling” means to solicit someone in a public place for an immediate donation of money or something of values. It’s legal unless it’s deemed “aggressive,” which in that case it becomes a Class C Misdemeanor.

Panhandlers are not allowed to ask for donations between sunset and sunrise, they’re limited as to where they can beg and must stay away from dining areas, ATMs and bank entrances. Panhandlers are not allowed to make physical contact without consent, nor can they physically block the paths of cars or pedestrians.

The code also says there can only be one panhandler asking for donations at a time. But Facebook group members post picture after picture of two or more panhandlers working one corner together. https://www.facebook.com/groups/682399698559137/

A representative for the City of South Bend said no council members had any plan to amend the ordinance on panhandler. However, Council Member Derek Dieter joined the Facebook Group and invited members to a meeting in July to discuss their concerns.
http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Suck ... 15501.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:38 pm

This lady lives across the street from me. She DOES NOT have any grandchildren that she is raising. There are children living in that house but she's not taking care of them. She's too busy drinking the beer she bought with the money she's getting. The police get called on then a lot for their drunken fights in the front yard. And from my knowledge CPS has been called for the 3 children that live there. Her and 3 other grown ass adults along with 1 school aged child and 2 babies, live off of the bed ridden lady that owns the house. They use her. And trash her property. All you hear from that house is drunken yelling and kids screaming and crying. I wish CPS would have helped those kids out. But she'll pull up in her mini van and pull out cases of beer just hours after I've passed her on that corner. (She hides her face when ever I pass her) she's a total scammer.

This lady has been out there for years. Two winters ago her sign read that her furnace was out and could not afford to get fixed. (We own a heating and cooling company) one of my techs stopped talked to her and gave her a business card. Told her that the owners are generous and would be willing to get her heat at no charge. We never received a call and she had the same sign all winter long. We will help those in need out but will not had over cash to anyone.
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:48 pm

Are panhandlers in dire need, or an unwanted nuisance?
Author: Patrick Roth
Published On: Jun 25 2015 04:45:07 PM CDT

Are panhandlers people in dire need of help or a nuisance to be avoided? A group is encouraging people to give to charity rather than panhandlers.
SOUTH BEND -
To some, panhandlers are people in need. But to others, they're an unwanted nuisance.

Thursday, a group in South Bend took to the streets to discourage people from giving to panhandlers. The group says giving to panhandlers doesn’t help anyone, and only makes the problem worse.

They say you’re better off giving directly to charities, but some people who work at those charities aren’t so sure about that.

“Well, the panhandlers have just taken over our city and the majority of us are just tired of it,” said Annette Feirell.

Feirell took to the coroner of Ironwood and Lincolnway today to discourage people from giving to panhandlers, but she does recognize that there is a need in the community.

“We do realize that there is a lot of needy people in our community,” she said. “And we are pleading and asking you to please donate to reputable charities. Let us help those people through the charities.”

A lot of people who work for charities feel the same way and they admit giving to charity allows people to better know where their money is going, but at the same time, they say there is something to helping people when they’re the most in need.

“If you’re giving because you see and feel that there is a need there, then you give however or wherever you feel it’s going to be utilized for the money,” said John Brown with Hope Ministries.

But there's another factor in this that goes beyond just charity.

“We're trying to get our city back, having panhandlers stand on every corner isn't very appealing to people who are visiting South Bend,” said Feirell.

Panhandlers do have the right be on a public street, though there are laws that prohibit aggressive panhandling.

Some people at the protest today also claimed some panhandlers aren't actually in need.

When WSBT 22 spoke to people who worked at places like Center for the Homeless, they said while there are some people who take advantage of panhandling, there are a lot more who are in desperate need.

http://m.wsbt.com/
Happy Mom

Postby bdcbbq » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:37 am

When WSBT 22 spoke to people who worked at places like Center for the Homeless, they said while there are some people who take advantage of panhandling, there are a lot more who are in desperate nee

That statement is meant to imply "give us the money". I've sort of come to the conclusion that the Salvation Army is a better place to donate. Of course, I haven't given anything to the CFH in at least a decade.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby Xenokilla » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:21 pm

https://www.facebook.com/groups/682399698559137/ facebook group about the panhandlers, people are posting pics, it seems that the purple dodge caravan with the doug buys junk cars has been seen to move people around the area.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
On twitter: @Xenokilla
Check my game reviews and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/xenokillaoftaw
Xenokilla

PreviousNext

Return to Michiana Area