backstageadd ND

Kids and ATV's

Mishawaka, Osceola, Elkhart, Plymouth, etc.

Kids and ATV's

Postby johndobee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Well, it sounds like another child has died on an ATV. Near Bourbon, and a whopping 6 years old!!! Wow.
Conservative Union Member (yes, there are lots of us).
johndobee

Re: Kids and ATV's

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:38 am

Bourbon boy, 7, dies in go-kart accident

By Ashley Henderson (ahenderson@wsbt.com)

8:25 a.m. EDT, July 27, 2011

BOURBON -- A 7-year-old Bourbon boy is dead after a go-kart accident early Tuesday evening.

According to Marshall County Coroner, Bill Cleavenger, emergency responders arrived to a home in the 12000 block of Elm Road in Bourbon around 5:00 p.m. Tuesday.

Cleavenger said responders discovered that 7-year-old Kyle Pugh had been riding a go-kart by himself on a homemade track next to Pugh's home. Somehow, the vehicle flipped and caught fire. Pugh was pronounced dead at the scene.

Related;
Michigan boy, 15, killed when ATV flips, lands on him

Pugh would have been a second-grader at Triton Elementary.

WSBT is following this story and will provide more information pending an autopsy and additional investigation.
http://www.wsbt.com/news/wsbt-bourbon-b ... ?track=rss
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby South Bender » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:16 pm

johndobee wrote:Well, it sounds like another child has died on an ATV. Near Bourbon, and a whopping 6 years old!!! Wow.

Bourbon is very rural area, and I know many "rural kids" that are driving larger vehicles than that at that age.
South Bender

Postby johndobee » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:17 pm

South Bender wrote:
johndobee wrote:Well, it sounds like another child has died on an ATV. Near Bourbon, and a whopping 6 years old!!! Wow.

Bourbon is very rural area, and I know many "rural kids" that are driving larger vehicles than that at that age.

Too true. A couple of Amish kids have been killed by "skidloaders" the last couple years. For those unaware, a Skidloader is basically a tractor with forks on it like a forklift.
NO kid under 13 should be doing anything on a piece of heavy work machinery! I don't give a damn what you're religion is, or your family work ethic is. That equipment is DESIGNED for grown adults!! I had a stop for a while on the south side of Elkhart west of 19 where they made trusses and such out of a barn (amish). A kid unloaded 3000# skids of joiners on a skidloader. He could hardly reach the pedals, and he could scarcely reach the controls and wheel. Mind ya, he was great at it, but it was painfully obvious that he had a hard time reaching the controls with his arms and legs. So, what kind of control did he really have over it if something didn't go as planned? Not a helluvalot.
johndobee

Postby bob_rx2000 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:32 pm

johndobee wrote:Too true. A couple of Amish kids have been killed by "skidloaders" the last couple years. For those unaware, a Skidloader is basically a tractor with forks on it like a forklift.
NO kid under 13 should be doing anything on a piece of heavy work machinery! I don't give a damn what you're religion is, or your family work ethic is. That equipment is DESIGNED for grown adults!! I had a stop for a while on the south side of Elkhart west of 19 where they made trusses and such out of a barn (amish). A kid unloaded 3000# skids of joiners on a skidloader. He could hardly reach the pedals, and he could scarcely reach the controls and wheel. Mind ya, he was great at it, but it was painfully obvious that he had a hard time reaching the controls with his arms and legs. So, what kind of control did he really have over it if something didn't go as planned? Not a helluvalot.

Would they be Mennonite rather than Amish? I can't imagine that Amish folks would be using a powered device...
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby johndobee » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:19 am

Many Amish use powered devices. They have their loopholes to the rules it seems. First, it comes down to ownership of the device apparently. Take a drive around the outskirts of Middlebury. From time to time you will see what looks like little guardshacks, usually near the street, in front of what are obviously Amish homes/farms. Inside you will find a telephone and answering machine. Sometimes a fax machine as well. These are for the residents use, but are seperated from the dwelling, and from what I understand, not in the name of the amish person who uses it. There is one business I have been to from time to time over the years that is Amish owned, and makes a product used primarily for Amish people. They make propane powered refrigeration units. They started outside Nappanee, but are now just west of downtown Middlebury. They have always had forklifts, and electric lights. My guess is they are using the loopholes as well. To my knowledge there is no loophole allowing the use of zippers though!
johndobee

Postby bob_rx2000 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:18 am

I know that the Amish around my hometown are resented by their neighbors in many cases for "borrowing" the use of modern devices, however, that sounds like religious loopholes carried to a new level. Just not in the home, eh? I guess standards are slipping everywhere.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby South Bender » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:16 pm

I know an Amish contractor that uses backhoes, Bobcat skidsteers, etc. on job sites, but then has to get a ride to and from the job site because he has never had a drivers license.
South Bender

Return to Michiana Area