backstageadd ND

ANOTHER BUSINESS SHUTS DOORS

Mishawaka, Osceola, Elkhart, Plymouth, etc.

Re: ANOTHER BUSINESS SHUTS DOORS

Postby backstagedee » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:00 pm

WSBT-TV
A bit of sad news: We have just learned South Bend's Silver Tower Seafood House, which has been in business for 50 years, will close its doors for the last time Friday. A manager there told us they just aren't doing enough business to stay open. They employee eight people.

from facebook
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Postby Bingo » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Silver Tower has been up for sale for years. It used to be a fine dining establishment.... :think:
Bingo

Gino's East Closing

Postby Wilson » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:43 am

Gino's East is closing.

Gino's East in Granger closing its doors - wsbt.com
www.wsbt.com › News
– GRANGER – An employee of the Gino's East in Heritage Square has confirmed the location is closing its doors for good
Wilson

Amy's Hallmark in University Park Mall Closing

Postby Wilson » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:48 am

As Happy Mom posted in another thread:

Amy's Hallmark Closing at University Park Mall
Tools
http://www.abc57.com/home/top-stories/A ... 02423.html

By Brian Dorman -bdorman@abc57.com

Story Created: Feb 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM EST

Story Updated: Feb 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM EST

MISHAWAKA, Ind. - Amy's Hallmark at University Park Mall is closing.

ABC 57 News broke the story Saturday night.

An employee, Jeanne-Ann, told ABC 57 News the store will close on Match 27th.

"We were told the news Wednesday," Jeanne-Ann said.

A general manager came in and told the manger of Amy's Hallmark that JCrew was going to be leasing the space and use it as a stock room for clothing.

Jeanne-Ann told ABC 57 News that Hallmark has been a staple at University Park Mall. She says the mall has had a Hallmark store since it opened in 1979.

At least 10 employees will be without a job Ann said.

Jeanne-Ann has worked at Amy's Hallmark for nearly eight years. She said that she is close to retirement age and has another job but is worried about the younger employees.
Wilson

Postby rpause » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:59 am

J. Crew, wow, a very good pickup if true. Hallmark is one of those last mall staples that is slowly withering away (like the toy stores, arcades, record stores). I figured with the one by Kohl's that it would close soon enough.

UP Mall is starting to get some vacancies and a fair amount of low-tier tenants. They lucked out getting Apple and Teavana, but the Sears and Penny wings look so lifeless and dark.
rpause

Postby Xynonyx » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:54 am

rpause wrote:UP Mall is starting to get some vacancies and a fair amount of low-tier tenants. They lucked out getting Apple and Teavana, but the Sears and Penny wings look so lifeless and dark.

Last week I went to the UP Mall JC Penney in hopes of getting a watch battery changed with a minimum of irritation; I don’t like malls in general, and particularly dislike UP Mall. Penney’s at least has exterior entrances, and a watch / jewelry department. Unfortunately, the one guy on duty at the watch counter wasn’t able to get my Seiko watch open (and as it turned out, he was the same employee who couldn’t manage to pry open the back on a Bulova I had taken there the year before, but at least then there was another clerk who successfully changed the battery on that watch). So he gave me a discount coupon for a watch kiosk down by the food court (and I won’t be going back to that JCP again for any further battery needs). However, this meant I had to slog all the way thru the mall to get there, and in the process I definitely noticed a number of the kiosk vendors adding a sense of unpleasant, almost gypsy-like atmosphere to the mall. I saw a few of those retailers seeming to be lounging about in front of their stands while trying to make eye contact with the foot traffic, and when they did, the hand gesturing and sales pitches commenced. A few of them appeared to be trying to hand out some kind of tokens or discount coupons to shoppers, and when a couple motioned to me to take whatever it was they were trying to foist as I passed I just briskly shook my head “no” and walked on.

After successfully getting my watch battery changed at the kiosk I purposefully exited the mall via a door by the nearby Sears, and gladly walked thru the heat and sun along an exterior edge of the mall back to where I had parked outside JC Penney, for the sake of avoiding schlepping back thru the air conditioned interior of the mall, with all its plastic ugliness and dubious merchants.

Earlier today I went to the Sorg Jewelers on C.R. 17 in Elkhart to get a new battery for a Skagen watch, and they did this quickly and at a reasonable price, so I can recommend them to members who might need such a service.
Xynonyx

Postby Xynonyx » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:15 am

I have to wonder how long it will be until the owners of Parkmor Plaza in Elkhart just give in and decide to bulldoze the property flat then sell it to some out of town sucker. This afternoon I drove past and noticed for the first time the Dollar General store that had been there was gone; moved across Bristol Street, and about one block down to a new, stand-alone building I imagine the local franchisee owns outright. I don’t recall what exactly was in the corner lot the new DG now occupies, but I suspect it was a stand of pleasant trees, and green grass. The Dollar General had for many years been in what was originally the space of the Parkmor Pharmacy.

When I was a kid I think all the retail slots in Parkmor Plaza were always filled, and the parking lots were consistently occupied. The anchor stores included Parkmor Pharmacy, Benjamin Franklin (a kind of “dime” / variety store), PN Hirsch department store, and a local hardware store, in addition to a local bank branch. I even had an after-school job at one retailer there when I was a teenager.

About all that’s left there now is an Asian restaurant, a $10-and-less clothing store, and a pizza place. Just demolish the site and plant some trees…
Xynonyx

Postby Xynonyx » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:23 am

And of course, across Bristol St. from the moribund Parkmor Plaza is the gutted Miles / Bayer “campus,” which is slowly, steadily being demolished. For those Michiana residents who don’t know, Miles Labs was once one of Elkhart’s largest and best employers, but by the 1980s was in serious decline, and was eventually bought out by Bayer, who in turn ditched Elkhart due to economic forces, and now the remaining buildings in the complex are being leveled. I’ve got a standing notion to drive thru there soon to see if there’s anything left worth photographing...
Xynonyx

Postby Xynonyx » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:52 pm

A few links some members might find interesting:

The Label Scar website, featuring the dead and gone Pierre Moran Mall in Elkhart:
http://www.labelscar.com/indiana/pierre-moran-mall

…and South Bend's Scottsdale Mall:
http://www.labelscar.com/indiana/scottsdale-mall

A website on the general theme of dead shopping malls:
http://www.deadmalls.com/
Xynonyx

Postby rpause » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:00 am

Yeah, at UP, the volume varies but they have lots of foreigners hawking skin care items. Very pushy, go aggressive after customers, probably what you encountered. Even as a guy, I am not immune to the "Sir? Sir? Sir? 5 Seconds? Sir?". It is especially bad around the Disney Store/Express area. I have avoided going to the JCPenney wing b/c of these sellers. I bet a lot of the surrounding stores don't care for it either, may drive away sales and heading in certain areas.

And why are the areas by Sears and Penney so dead? Lot of vacancies or local "flea market-type" stores. Nothing against local stores, but at least look presentable to the window shoppers, fit in. The old Sam Goody space has had a glut of tenants, including a bunch of temporary stores, and some existing stores remodeling and moving in as temp space.
rpause

PreviousNext

Return to Michiana Area