backstageadd ND

Michiana Child Abuse

Mishawaka, Osceola, Elkhart, Plymouth, etc.

Re: Michiana Child Abuse

Postby southsider » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:01 pm

I could never be a police officer or CPS officer. You see too much and most times are rendered helpless by the system, only to deal with the very same thing by the same people a few months later. I would have to take things into my own hands. It would not be a good thing.

We need citizens to send a message that we will not tolerate these awful things and crimes against our children.

If that means a little street justice, than so be it. Someone touches my kid: click click boom, done. Toss me in jail I don't care that person will not live as long as I am alive.

Even the officer who said that if this happened in a 3rd world country the guy would be dead has a point, while we are supposed to be a just society, sometimes that sends a message to the village, that this will not be tolerated and justice will be swiftly served.

I truly hope this guy gets the needle or someone shanks him in prison. Lets not draw this out, and spend a bunch of time and resources on the case. He needs to go.
southsider

Postby st michael jr » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:07 pm

I've talked with several very seasoned investigators and they all said this is one of the worst cases of abuse they have ever seen. I hope this trash is given a fair trial.....and the executed like you should any rabid animals.
st michael jr

Postby Happy Mom » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:46 am

Preventing abuse and bullying; Safe Place trying to get the word out
Safe Place location right in front of Tramelle Sturgis' home

By Brian Dorman - bdorman@abc57.com

Story Created: Nov 10, 2011 at 9:14 PM EST

SOUTH BEND, Ind. - When ABC 57 News learned that there was a Safe Place right across the street from Tramelle Sturgis' home we knew we need to step in to help raise awareness.

Safe Places, in part with the Youth Service Bureau of St. Joseph County has been working for more than 20 years to keep kids safe.

"All you have to do is walk in and ask for a manager, they know exactly what to do," Jacqueline Norris, Safe Place Coordinator for St. Joseph County said.

In South Bend safe places include, all fire stations, Memorial Hospital, St. Joseph County Library and Burger King locations. The businesses have a large yellow and black sign on the front door that shows an adult hugging a child with the bold words, Safe Place under the drawing. All children and teens have to do is go to a manager and tell them what is wrong and those with Safe Places will be contacted.

'It's okay to ask for help, you've done a really good thing, you have done a brave thing. Don't worry about snitching or being in trouble. You have lead to something that could help you and your entire family," Norris said.

Once Safe Place is contacted they send a volunteer to meet the youth at the location that an employee called from.

Those 12-18 are allowed to stay at the Safe Place shelter for up to 21 days. If needed, volunteers will contact CPS or police in extreme cases. Norris said that children have reported, abuse, neglect, pregnancy, and bullying at several Safe Place locations.

Click here to see a complete list of all the Safe Place locations in St. Joseph County.

There is also a 24/7 hot line for youth to call, 574-235-9396.

One of the Safe Places is Miss Adeline's Barber Shop at 1131 West Washington Street, South Bend. It is directly across the street from where Tramelle Sturgis, 10, was beaten to death less than a week ago.

"We just wish we had been able to help them, " Adeline Jones said.

Jones has owned the barber shop for at least 35 years, for the past 15 years it has been a "Safe Place."

"If there is ever a problem or a disturbance, you can come here and feel safe until we call the right number and get you some help."

Jones said she was very upset to learn that Tramelle was beaten and died just 80 feet away from her Safe Place business, "We have the sign and it's up in the window but we don't know if the children understand.

Jones wishes that the program was talked about at the elementary school level. Currently Safe Places only holds presentations at middle and high schools across the county.

I asked Norris if she felt that they needed to be in elementary schools, this is what she said, "Because our shelters house 12-18, I think from time-to-time we talked about that but we would have no place to house them."

Norris did say that those younger than 12 are able to access and get help from all Safe Places.

Volunteers with Safe Place speak each year to every school across St. Joseph County educating middle and high schoolers about what it means and how they are willing to help.

This year, Norris said that New Prairie and Laville school districts, for the first time ever, said they don't want a presentation from Safe Place.

St. Joseph and Marion Middle & High School has never allowed Safe Place to give a presentation at its schools.

Norris said the more awareness the better in hopes of reaching as many kids as possible.
http://www.abc57.com/home/top-stories/S ... 63753.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby southsider » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:51 pm

Look at his smile. This is Tramelle LaVaun Sturgis. He was beaten to death in our community on Nov. 4, 2011, a few days after his birthday.

His 10th birthday.

It's too late for Tramelle. But whatever it takes, this community should resolve that nothing like this should ever be allowed to happen again.

Ever.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/opinion/sbt-20111120sbtmicha-06-02-20111120,0,2349679.story
southsider

Postby st michael jr » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:00 pm

Every time I see something about this poor kid I get angry.
st michael jr

Postby southsider » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:05 pm

st michael jr wrote:Every time I see something about this poor kid I get angry.

I am still pissed too, I dont want the community to forget about him, or what happened, and how the system failed him.
southsider

Postby John Q Public » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:56 pm

I still haven't heard any announcements from Prosecutor Michael Dvorak that he will be filing the death penalty. :whistle: :whistle: That is the only punishment that will fit this crime.
If you like your health insurance, you can keep it. --- Barack Hussein Obama
John Q Public

Location: Somewhere in a tall building in downtown South Bend

Postby southsider » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:59 pm

John Q Public wrote:I still haven't heard any announcements from Prosecutor Michael Dvorak that he will be filing the death penalty. :whistle: :whistle: That is the only punishment that will fit this crime.

AMEN TO THAT!

FULLY SUPPORT THE NEEDLE FOR THE DAD AND LIFE FOR THE GRANDMOTHER.
southsider

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:04 pm

John Q Public wrote:I still haven't heard any announcements from Prosecutor Michael Dvorak that he will be filing the death penalty. :whistle: :whistle: That is the only punishment that will fit this crime.

Come to think about it, we haven't heard a thing from our incompetent Prosecutor. :doh: :roll: :think: :naughty:
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:41 am

DCS found Sturgis kids 'well-nurtured'

By MARY KATE MALONE South Bend Tribune Staff Writer

9:27 p.m. EST, November 22, 2011
SOUTH BEND - Recently released documents from the Department of Child Services show that an investigation was launched in May concerning allegations of child abuse at the home of a boy who was allegedly killed by his father earlier this month.

But the case was closed in June after officials determined the home was safe and the children were well-cared for, according to investigatory documents released Monday following an open records request from The Tribune and WSBT-TV.

“Children did not have visible marks or bruises that appeared to be from inappropriate discipline,” a document reads. “All children appeared well-nurtured and comfortable with the caregivers.”

Those caregivers - Terry Sturgis and Dellia Castile - have been charged in connection with the death of Tramelle and other instances of child abuse.

Sturgis faces charges of murder and battery. Castile faces three counts of child neglect. Both are being held in the St. Joseph County Jail. Sturgis is being held without bond, and Castile is being held on a $15,000 bond, according to jail records.

The abuse allegations were received by Child Services on May 27, records show.

The person stated that the children were being beaten on a regular basis with two-by-fours, that their home had no gas or heat, and that one child had once been beaten so badly he missed school because his face was bruised and his eyes were swollen shut, according to the documents.

A family case manager investigated the claims, and records show that the worker visited the Sturgis home unannounced on West Washington Street as well as the children’s schools.

The worker spoke with Castile, Sturgis, and the children, records show, and determined the abuse allegations were unsubstantiated.
:shock: :liar: :naughty: The worker said the children had no visible injuries.

The case manager described Castile and Sturgis as “cooperative” and said they appeared to be providing “stable housing.”

“During the interview, children did not disclose receiving inappropriate discipline by the caregivers,” the documents read. “Children stated being comfortable with the caregivers.”

The situation observed by Child Services in the spring sharply contrasts with the one described by authorities as they investigate Tramelle’s death and the events preceding it.

Prosecutors allege that the children in the Sturgis home - there were reportedly nine of them - suffered severe abuse over a three-year period that included beatings and being burned with clothes irons and heated screwdrivers, according to court documents.

Tramelle, who was found unresponsive by police Nov. 4 inside the home, had suffered broken bones, widespread bruising and welt marks, according to court documents.

His 14-year-old brother was hospitalized that same night with bruising, welts and a head injury, according to court documents.

Sturgis was arrested the same night and Castile was taken into custody last week.

A few hours after Child Services received the child abuse report on May 27, South Bend police received a 911 call also alleging abuse at the Sturgis home. But the caller was vague and did not provide a call-back number, police said.

Two officers went to the home, checked on the family, and determined all was fine. They left the house after seven minutes, made no police report and did not call Child Services, according to police.

It’s unclear whether the caller to Child Services was the same person who later called South Bend police.

In court documents related to Castile’s alleged involvement, a charging affidavit states that police or Child Services investigated complaints of child abuse on three - not two - separate occasions.

The St. Joseph County Prosecutor’s office did not respond to a Tribune query last week seeking details about the three investigations and which agency or agencies may have undertaken them.

Staff writer Mary Kate Malone:
mmalone@sbtinfo.com
574-235-6337
http://www.southbendtribune.com/sbt-dcs ... 6557.story
Happy Mom

PreviousNext

Return to Michiana Area