backstageadd ND

Grandparents Kicked Out of Mall For Taking Pictures

Mishawaka, Osceola, Elkhart, Plymouth, etc.

Grandparents Kicked Out of Mall For Taking Pictures

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:44 am

I have never heard of NOT being able to take pictures at the Mall.
Grandparents kicked out of mall after taking picture of grandson
Mishawaka, Ind.
Two grandparents were kicked out of the University Park Mall Tuesday after they took a picture of their visiting grandson in the Food Court.

Reporter: Brandon Lewis
Email Address: Brandon.Lewis@wndu.com
Grandparents kicked out of mall after taking picture of grandson

Two grandparents were kicked out of the University Park Mall Tuesday after they took a picture of their visiting grandson in the Food Court.

"We were going to take our grandson, he's five and visiting from California, to see Santa and we were just sitting around the table having something to drink, talking about what we were planning and that's when my husband took the picture," said Grandmother Debbie Cassella.

Cassella said immediately a mall employee instructed them to stop taking pictures or they would be thrown out of the mall.

"I believe she said you can't take pictures at the mall. I thought she was joking and I said ‘I’m taking a picture of my grandson’, I’d understand if I was taking pictures of the architecture or the products in the stores and she became a little hostile and aggressive," said Grandfather Don Oberloh. :o

Oberloh and Cassella said they were unaware of the University Park's policy against picture taking and requested.

"I asked to speak with a mall manager and she flashed a badge at me, and I didn't see it, and asked ‘is this good enough?’ and I tried explaining things to her and she came back, I apologized and she was more belligerent and I asked again ‘may I speak with the mall manager’ and she said ‘that's me’ and I said ‘there's nobody higher than you?’ and she said ‘one person’, ‘may I speak with that person’ and then security came over," said Oberloh.

Oberloh left the mall after being asked by security, but Cassella stayed behind to wait on her daughter, who had gone into a store.

"I told him I can't just leave and then he said that he would remove me physically and then he called another security guard and that guy came over and then my daughter showed up and I said we were just here to take my grandson to see Santa and he said you can't see Santa," said Cassella. "It was embarrassing and I felt bad for my grandson. I'll never go back to the mall. I’ve shopped at the mall regularly and I’ll never go back to the mall. I don’t' feel comfortable there."

A spokesperson for the University Park Mall declined an on camera interview, but said mall managers are investigating the incident and reiterated the mall's policy against photography. She also said the mall does not immediate remove shoppers after a picture is taken, but will remove guests who do not comply with requests to stop taking photos or are aggressive with staff.
http://www.wndu.com/hometop/headlines/G ... 4.facebook
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: Grandparents Kicked Out of Mall For Taking Pictures

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:54 am

I'm taking my camera phone and regular camera to the Mall today and hope everyone else does too. I'm just going to start taking pictures.. :D I have never seen a sign posted at all. With all the camera phones, they are being naive to think that pictures are not being taken constantly. Wow, these Mall People need to get in the Christmas spirit... :?
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby st michael jr » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:58 am

I've never heard such a stupid rule in my life. It seems like there is nothing wrong with grandparents taking pictures of their grandkids at what should be a fun time of year. I guarantee I wouldn't have left until I spoke with the mall manager and would have loved the mall guards trying to remove me physically. I'd have made sure someone with me was videoing the entire incident so my lawyer would have it for my suit. I also would have called the corporate headquarters. It's not like countless pictures and videos of the mall haven't been taken by the media for years.
st michael jr

Postby Wilson » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:26 am

There are no signs posted regarding this so called policy. Therefore, it cannot be assumed that there is a policy. I don't know how many times I have seen teenagers posing for pictures, parents photoing their children being "cute" and what looks like foreign travelers taking group pictures.

This is ridiculous! I have even taken pics of products so I could match colors or ask the possible person of receipt if it was the item so I don't waste time or money. No big deal. No espionage, just convenience. (of which a mall was suppose to be known for)

To embarrass these people (as long as they weren't making matters worse by being obnoxious) especially in front of their grandson is just ridiculous. However, we don't know the whole story. I wonder how many witnesses there were to this incident and if they will come forward to give an eyewitness accounting.

I also plan to take my camera next time I go to the mall. It may be quite a while though before I feel the need to go!
Wilson

Postby raycyrx » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:19 pm

About 10 years ago, we went to UP mall to visit Santa with our four kids. We stood in line for about 30 minutes, when an attendant put a sign up just in front of our family that said, "closed." When we protested, we were also informed that we could come back but (seeing that I was carrying my own camera) we were also informed that we'd have to pay to take our own pictures.

We then drove out to Scottsdale mall and took our own pictures for free.

I don't shop UP mall much anymore.
The Church is not a hotel for saints. It is a hospital for sinners.
St. Augustine
raycyrx

Postby bob_rx2000 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:21 pm

There are so many things here...
  • This specific incident is simply a mall security guard who has watched too many reality shows and is drunk with authority. Were I the individual involved, I would ask for a number of things to assuage my bruised ego. First, I don't think one of those coupons for a shopping spree at any mall store would be beyond consideration, say in the amount of $1,500. Plus, this poor employee is clearly in need of training in both dealing with the public and in mall policies and the reporting structure, so written reports on that person's progress through those classes would be appropriate.
  • Were I involved with such a security guard and policy, I would send emails to every single store with a presence in the mall letting them know that I will not go to their store there, and will actively discourage all of my relatives, friends, co-workers and anyone else I see, from ever shopping there.
  • The mall management needs to consider their rule about photographs and make appropriate changes to avoid the possibility of lawsuits. Clearly they have selective enforcement of the policy, as I've seen people testing cameras purchased at the mall taking photos. Since this was done at a kiosk in the mall "common mall" area, I have to question the application of the alleged policy. Also, I've seen news crews taking pictures at the mall, both inside and outside. Were they not in violation of the alleged policy?
  • The mall management needs to consider how people know of their policy. They may have a lettered sign on the doors, I wouldn't know since I rarely go through them as the only store I even come close to routinely visiting there (B&N) can be accessed without entering the mall proper.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby bdcbbq » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:04 pm

Happy Mom wrote:I'm taking my camera phone and regular camera to the Mall today and hope everyone else does too. I'm just going to start taking pictures.. :D I have never seen a sign posted at all. With all the camera phones, they are being naive to think that pictures are not being taken constantly. Wow, these Mall People need to get in the Christmas spirit... :?

H hasn't posted recently should we take up a collection to bail her out of mall prison?
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby Wilson » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:52 pm

:laughing-lettersrofl: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Maybe we will see her on the news tonight! :lol: :lol:
Wilson

Postby Buck Wheat » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:48 pm

Looks like shutterbugs are more dastardly than shoplifters in the eyes of mall cops:

http://forum.photojojo.com/viewtopic.php?id=1192

:whistle:
Buck Wheat

Postby Happy Mom » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Evidently they had a flash mob last night at the Mall. Hundreds of people started taking pictures all over the Mall... :clap: :lol: :lol:
Another Simon Mall in Pa. last year! Check all the cameras!
Happy Mom

Next

Return to Michiana Area