backstageadd ND

3 Cyclists killed in Elkhart

Mishawaka, Osceola, Elkhart, Plymouth, etc.

3 Cyclists killed in Elkhart

Postby Shinigami » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:32 pm

WSBT-TV Report

5:28 a.m. EDT, June 7, 2012

ELKHART COUNTY -- Police now say three bicyclists, including two teenagers, are dead after two separate accidents just miles apart in Elkhart County early Thursday.

Around 6 a.m., police were called to County Road 20 under the US 20 Bypass. Investigators say a car hit two bicyclists. 18-year-old David Anglemyer of Goshen died on the scene, while 19-year-old Daniel Runion of Goshen was rushed to South Bend's Memorial Hospital where he later died.

Police say 42-year-old Daniel Snead was driving his Ford Taurus west on CR 20 when his car hit the teens. Detectives are trying to figure out why, since information gathered at the scene show Anglemyer and Runion were heading east, and at least one of the bicycles had a red flashing light on it.

Police say neither bicyclist was wearing a helmet or any other safety gear.

No traffic tickets have been issued at this time.

The CR 20 tragedy happened about 2 1/2 hours after a man on a bike was killed in a hit and run on County Road 17 just south of the US 20 Bypass. That man has been identified as 60-year-old Raymundo Macjado Sabag.

Police say the driver of the vehicle, who was heading south, left the scene and so far has not been found. However, the Elkhart County Sheriff's Department issued an update just after 4 p.m. saying investigators have found the vehicle believed to have been involved in the crash.

Like the driver of the vehicle, Sabag was also southbound on his bike.

WSBT.com

This story really just really drives the point how motorists in Michiana have no respect for cyclists.
For Hire, will post and moderate for beer.
Shinigami

Re: 3 Cyclists killed in Elkhart

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:06 pm

I took my Dad to the airport early in the morning yesterday (5:30 am) and as I was driving down Auten Road, there were very vivid flashing lights up ahead. Getting closer, I realized it was a cyclist with helmet, three red flashers, and bright colors on his clothing. I saw him way ahead of time and appreciated his warnings since it is very dark on that road...
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby johndobee » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:40 pm

Sigh,, there's not nice way to put this.
WTF WAS SOMEONE DOING RIDING A BIKE DOWN A BUSY ROAD BEFORE DAYLIGHT??
Really?
4 in the morning, and 6 in the morning??
"respect" for bicyclists? Come on, our roads and highway systems are NOT designed for bicyclists. Most of them are obnoxious in their insistence through their suicidal riding in the same lane as a vehicle that outweighs them by two tons. Not one, but TWO M-Fing tons!!
I'll grant you that the people who hit them were likely hammered.
They took off and ran back under a rock somewhere.
The fact is, those same idiots are on the road all day. Anyone on a bike who expects to fare well on any public road at any time of day, is taking their life in their own hands.
It's way past time laws were passed to PREVENT people depending on leg propulsion from being on major roads. Neighborhood streets, sure, but no road that has a speed limit posted that is above 35 MPH. Never.
Conservative Union Member (yes, there are lots of us).
johndobee

Postby bob_rx2000 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:49 am

JDB, this one cuts two ways... I get annoyed regularly by cyclists who do extremely dumb things too. There is an idiot who rides down Cleveland Road around 5:00am in the middle of the lane, and expects traffic on that highway to go around him. Fine, except there is a sidewalk the length of Cleveland road from the U.P. mall clear out to and past Portage, where a bike lane is provided. For heavens sake, ride on the sidewalk. Alternatively, there are an endless supply of drivers willing to harass bikers and that isn't right either.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby Shinigami » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:07 am

All I'm saying is that we should be able to share the road that cyclists legally have the right to use, and motor vehicles operators have the privilege to use. I'd also like to consider that I should have the right to ride my bike to work in the morning before sunlight granted I have the proper lights and reflectors on my bike. It's unfortunate that motorists believe that city and county roads are for cars only.
Shinigami

Postby bob_rx2000 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Shinigami wrote:All I'm saying is that we should be able to share the road that cyclists legally have the right to use, and motor vehicles operators have the privilege to use. I'd also like to consider that I should have the right to ride my bike to work in the morning before sunlight granted I have the proper lights and reflectors on my bike. It's unfortunate that motorists believe that city and county roads are for cars only.

Speaking as someone who regularly rides his bike to work, guess who PAYS the roads?
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Postby Shinigami » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:16 pm

bob_rx2000 wrote:
Shinigami wrote:All I'm saying is that we should be able to share the road that cyclists legally have the right to use, and motor vehicles operators have the privilege to use. I'd also like to consider that I should have the right to ride my bike to work in the morning before sunlight granted I have the proper lights and reflectors on my bike. It's unfortunate that motorists believe that city and county roads are for cars only.

Speaking as someone who regularly rides his bike to work, guess who PAYS the roads?

Anyone who title and registers their vehicle(s) with the BMV. LOL, I have a car too and yes I do use it more than my bike.
Shinigami

Postby mach » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:00 pm

These cities are to old and are not proper for bikers. I wish the cities would not encourage them but ride your bike if you must, do be careful. I myself am more comfortable in my excursion. Safe riding.
mach

Postby backstagedee » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:50 pm

Shinigami wrote:
bob_rx2000 wrote:

Anyone who title and registers their vehicle(s) with the BMV. LOL, I have a car too and yes I do use it more than my bike.

...and anyone who buys gasoline.
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Postby bob_rx2000 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:52 am

Which gets to the real point - those who buy gasoline for their vehicles are entitled to use what they've paid for - the roads. Those who are not paying for the roads have the privilege, but not the right.
Bob_Rx2000
bob_rx2000

Next

Return to Michiana Area