backstageadd ND

3 Cyclists killed in Elkhart

Mishawaka, Osceola, Elkhart, Plymouth, etc.

Re: 3 Cyclists killed in Elkhart

Postby John Q Public » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:24 pm

bob_rx2000 wrote:Which gets to the real point - those who buy gasoline for their vehicles are entitled to use what they've paid for - the roads. Those who are not paying for the roads have the privilege, but not the right.

To make that theory work one has to assume that bike riders are not drivers and pay no vehicle and fuel taxes, which I doubt is correct. Also, a drivers license is a privilege, not a right. The license provides the privilege of driving a motor vehicle while following the laws of the road which includes giving plenty of room when passing other vehicles, including bicycles.

My main pet peeve is mopeds, or DUI scooters. They go just fast enough to be dangerous to everyone around them, the operator is very likely intoxicated, and they don't bother to follow the rules of the road (which got them in the position requiring the purchase of a DUI scooter).

As for bicyclists, move over for them, give them room. And for the bicyclists, be considerate to the drivers of the two ton vehicles trying to get around you. I don't think its fair to expect bicycles to ride in the grass or the Amish to stay on dirt lanes...
If you like your health insurance, you can keep it. --- Barack Hussein Obama
John Q Public

Location: Somewhere in a tall building in downtown South Bend

Postby bob_rx2000 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:30 pm

JQP, I never, not once, said what sort of use those who pay for the roads by buying gasoline for vehicles are making of those roads. You're assuming that they are driving on them. Around here, for what it is worth, someone on the road driving well is not a right, nor a privilege, but a miracle.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby John Q Public » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:20 pm

bob_rx2000 wrote:JQP, I never, not once, said what sort of use those who pay for the roads by buying gasoline for vehicles are making of those roads. You're assuming that they are driving on them. Around here, for what it is worth, someone on the road driving well is not a right, nor a privilege, but a miracle.

Ok Bob,
This is what you said...

bob_rx2000 wrote:
Which gets to the real point - those who buy gasoline for their vehicles are entitled to use what they've paid for - the roads. Those who are not paying for the roads have the privilege, but not the right

You are referring to vehicles and roads so driving on them seems to be the most logical use. Are there any other uses, except maybe the basketball court set up at the curb?

If you like your health insurance, you can keep it. --- Barack Hussein Obama
John Q Public

Location: Somewhere in a tall building in downtown South Bend

Postby Xynonyx » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:26 pm

Shinigami wrote:WSBT.com

This story really just really drives the point how motorists in Michiana have no respect for cyclists.

Although to be perhaps a little more accurate, the story also demonstrates how so many drivers in Michiana (and pretty much everywhere, for that matter) have little or no respect for anyone else on the road. I take the US 20 Bypass to and from work five days a week, and I also see the same behavior in town: speeding and dangerous tailgating -- fools acting like they’re trying to live out their NASCAR or street racer movie fantasies; drivers with mobile phones shoved to their faces, largely oblivious to the traffic around them; drivers text messaging (despite the illegality of it); idiots messing with their CD or DVD(!) players / GPS system while speeding along; drivers cutting right in front of other cars with no use of turn signals, and almost zero lead room; and so on.

I’m mostly surprised their aren’t a great many more traffic wrecks and fatalities than there are -- pure dumb luck.

But yes, there’s a definite lack of safe bicycle lanes and paths throughout most of Michiana, often forcing cyclist to ride with vehicle traffic, where too many drivers either don’t see them because they’re not paying attention (despite more bikers wearing reflective clothing, and using bright front and back lights), or where many drivers just don’t care about leaving adequate clearance for cyclists, walkers, motorcycle riders, or anyone else.
Xynonyx

Previous

Return to Michiana Area