backstageadd ND

Another One Bites The Dust!!

Mishawaka, Osceola, Elkhart, Plymouth, etc.

Another One Bites The Dust!!

Postby johndobee » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:47 pm

Another Longtime Elkhart business is about to close.
Valspar Paint on Clay (off Hively) informed their employees that they are going to cease production in March.
At this point they might (heavy on the might) be doing some warehousing/office duties there, but production will shift to other plants.
What is it with March? Many business are announcing layoffs and closings in March. Why then?
Conservative Union Member (yes, there are lots of us).
johndobee

Re: Another One Bites The Dust!!

Postby backstagedee » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:49 pm

I've wondered the same thing. Why March?
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Postby lovechild » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:10 am

Federal Mogul is laying off more people too. I can't remember when it will happen but very soon.
"Love the life you live, live the life you love."
lovechild

Postby bob_rx2000 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:32 am

I feel like I'm kicking someone when they are down, but...

I seem to recall a thread in the old forum where a number of us commented on paint quality. Valspar paint, which I had always found to be a quality brand, was quite disappointing when I was painting rooms at Mrs-Bob_Rx's house. I had to use two and occasionally three coats of paint to get a good finish. This was Valspar purchased from one of the "big box" home improvement stores and the speculation was that they were producing a lower quality product aimed at a price point in that store. One must wonder if the true reason that sales are slumping for Valspar is that customers in general are recognizing the dilution of the quality of the brand and not buying it any longer. It is sad that the line employees, both labor and management, who probably had nothing to say about the formulation and quality decisions, are going to be the ones who suffer if that is true. However, if it is true, then what you have isn't "another one bites the dust" but "a thinning of the herd". That, my friends, is simple capitalism in action. If true, a bad decision is being appropriately rewarded.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby backstagedee » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:18 pm

http://www.nrn.com/landingPage.aspx?men ... 08%20years

The number of total restaurant locations in 2008 contracted from the year earlier by 0.1 percent, driven by closures of independent restaurants and units within smaller chains, according to new data from The NPD Group, a market research firm.

For the first time since 2000, the number of U.S. restaurants in the September-ended fiscal year fell from the year earlier, led by drops in the family-dining and fine-dining segments. Typically, the number of U.S. restaurants grows each year, with increases of 1.8 percent in 2007 and 0.4 percent in 2006, for example. Casual-dining and quick-service locations showed small but positive growth in 2008, NPD data shows.

The fiscal year for the report ended Sept. 2008... I would wager the drop is much more significant by now...
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Postby backstagedee » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:56 am

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/43529707.html

Two month investigation leads to arrests at adult entertainment club Save Email Print
Posted: 5:18 AM Apr 23, 2009

Six people face multiple charges after a two month long investigation of an adult entertainment club in Edwardsburg.

Cass County Police, along with State Police and the FBI searched Escape Reality on Daily Road around 9:00 Wednesday night.

Police say they had received complaints of prostitution and drug dealing at the club.

Among the six arrests were five employees, who face charges for lewd conduct, prostitution, delivery of cocaine and delivery of ecstasy.

I guess they tried to create their own "Stimulus package" (May I have a rim shot please BK?)
backstagedee

Postby York » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:03 pm

Elkhart: Downtown mainstay Casey's closed indefinitely

Published: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 -- The Truth
Last updated: 4/21/2009 4:58:07 PM
By Marshall King
Truth Staff

ELKHART -- For years, Casey's specialized in steaks served medium-rare. The longtime restaurant in downtown Elkhart, the last of its generation, is done, at least for now.

The last day Casey's was open was April 4. Soon after that, rumors started circulating that the restaurant at 411 S. Main St. had closed. Herb Cormican and his father, Dave, operated the business, but haven't responded to numerous phone calls from The Elkhart Truth.

Paul Thomas, an Elkhart historian and longtime downtown businessman, confirmed that the business is closed.

"Because of circumstances that are not understandable, they had to close," he said, adding that the new downtown restaurants that opened in recent years didn't hurt Casey's.

Long-time customer Sharon Clark was planning to use a $25 gift card with girlfriends on Friday. She found a dark restaurant Friday afternoon and was told by someone across the street at the Greater Elkhart Chamber of Commerce that the place was closed, she said.

She had heard rumors before Christmas that it would close, but owners denied them.

"To have a place that's been here that long to up and close with absolutely no notice, with the people who have gift cards and everything, I can't understand it," she said, noting that she was "left flabbergasted."

Casey's marked its 50th anniversary in July 2007. Greg Campanello operated a pizza parlor at the location, but left it to start Greg's Volcano Pizza in 1957. Casey Montagano, who had worked with his brother, Ralph, at Flytrap's, left to start his own place.

Casey's was a vibrant part of downtown, with teams who played Notre Dame in football staying at the Hotel Elkhart and eating there. Casey would throw dollar bills into the ceiling with a coin and tack and then donate the money to charity once a year.

"It was a wonderful place to eat," said Thomas.

Unless someone reopens it, Casey's will become just a memory and part of Elkhart history.

http://www.etruth.com/Know/News/Story.aspx?id=481137

:shock:
York

Postby backstagedee » Fri May 01, 2009 9:36 pm

On a good note. Rumor has it the Cambodian-Thai restaurant across the street will be taking over the Rum Runners building. That's quite an upward move for them. Good Luck!
backstagedee

Postby Happy Mom » Fri May 01, 2009 9:38 pm

backstagedee wrote:On a good note. Rumor has it the Cambodian-Thai restaurant across the street will be taking over the Rum Runners building. That's quite an upward move for them. Good Luck!

Has anyone ever eaten there? Is it any good?
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Big Kahuna » Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 pm

The same people from across the street at the old Dillenger bank building?
Big Kahuna

Next

Return to Michiana Area