backstageadd ND

Another One Bites The Dust!!

Mishawaka, Osceola, Elkhart, Plymouth, etc.

Re: Elkhart's Mad Anthony's closes

Postby backstagedee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:25 pm

Wilson wrote:Update: Elkhart's Mad Anthony's closes- VIDEO
http://www.etruth.com/Know/News/Story.aspx?ID=533767
by: Robert Borrelli
Posted: 1/27/2011 12:00:00 AM .

Last spring the Eric Brewer and two other parties from Mad Anthony's State Ale house (the Elkhart group) tried to put together a deal to buy Backstage Grill and Club Fever. the due diligence went on for a few months. The deal fell apart when it became evident that the only way they could do it would have been with me financing them. I didn't even bother to check into their credit worthiness since it smelled bad and I don't pretend to be as smart as a banker when it comes to lending... if they couldn't get financing from the bank, I sure as Hell didn't want any part of it. I have had a few semi serious lookers, but they were the most interested. I guess I see why. I don't think I will ever get this place sold.
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Re: Another One Bites The Dust!!

Postby Wilson » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:39 pm

What is up with the Ramada Inn downtown?
Cellar Door. Closed month of January and now not open evenings in February? HMMMMM, heard a rumor but not sure if I should post......

"Our franchise agreement with Ramada will expire end of November, so basically from the beginning of December we're free to start any type of the work of the building," said Victor Osinski of Dillingham Hill Re."

"These bonds have to be issued by the end of the year," said Inks. "And that's under existing federal law so there will be a big push to meet the "12-31" deadline and I'm sure that once the bonds are sold and the developer will be responsible for interest on those bonds, they'll have a lot of motivation to get started quickly on the project."

"The proposed financial package will eventually have to be approved by the South Bend Common Council. "

JUST ASKING IF ANYONE KNOWS WHATS GOING ON......
Wilson

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:03 pm

Maybe Luecke will buy their parking lot and Restaurant and tell the taxpayers it is for the Airport revitalization. :roll:
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: Another One Bites The Dust!! - Mish. Between the Buns

Postby Jinx » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Received the following Email today:

As you are a valued guest and friend I would like to inform you that due to many reasons, the economy not withstanding, we will be permanently closing our Mishawaka (family) Between the Buns location at 4:00pm Sunday, February 6th. It is the intent that the property will open in the near future with a different concept.

In case you are not aware, we have 4 other locations in the area. Our Granger Between the Buns, our Elkhart Between the Buns, our South Bend Between the Buns and our Osceola Between the Buns all provide the same great food and service that you have come to love at Mishawaka. If you are one of our many Curbside Carryout users, Osceola is just 2 minutes away and a phone call to 574-679-4474 will have you dining in the comfort of your own home in no time.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all of your support and patronage throughout the past several years. If you are part of our Mishawaka Family we hope that you will visit your favorite server or manager at the Between the Buns they choose to relocate to. We greatly appreciate your understanding and look forward to seeing you soon.

Sincerely,

Tania Arthur
Director of Operations
Between the Buns
Jinx

Re: Elkhart's Mad Anthony's closes

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:13 pm

backstagedee wrote:
Wilson wrote:Update: Elkhart's Mad Anthony's closes- VIDEO
http://www.etruth.com/Know/News/Story.aspx?ID=533767
by: Robert Borrelli
Posted: 1/27/2011 12:00:00 AM .

Last spring the Eric Brewer and two other parties from Mad Anthony's State Ale house (the Elkhart group) tried to put together a deal to buy Backstage Grill and Club Fever. the due diligence went on for a few months. The deal fell apart when it became evident that the only way they could do it would have been with me financing them. I didn't even bother to check into their credit worthiness since it smelled bad and I don't pretend to be as smart as a banker when it comes to lending... if they couldn't get financing from the bank, I sure as Hell didn't want any part of it. I have had a few semi serious lookers, but they were the most interested. I guess I see why. I don't think I will ever get this place sold.

Restaurant owes city of Elkhart for unpaid loans
Elkhart, Ind.
Mad Anthony's Old State Alehouse closed unexpectedly last Thursday.
Posted: 4:03 AM Feb 1, 2011
Email Address: newscenter16@wndu.com

An Elkhart restaurant that unexpectedly closed its doors apparently owes the city tens of thousands of dollars because of outstanding loans.

According to our reporting partners at the Elkhart Truth, the owners of Mad Anthony's Old State Alehouse stopped paying on a low-interest loan back in October. The restaurant suddenly closed last Thursday posting a sign on its door as notification.

The city's legal department and director of economic development are seeking repayment of the loans owed which total at least $57,000.

http://www.wndu.com/hometop/headlines/R ... 96179.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Tue May 14, 2013 7:44 am

Mishawaka salon and spa suddenly closes, leaving customers upset

Ja Ross Salon and Resort Spa Ja Ross Salon and Resort Spa
WSBT-TV Report

5:05 p.m. EDT, May 13, 2013
MISHAWAKA – WSBT and our partners at the South Bend Tribune are following breaking consumer news today.

Ja Ross Salon and Resort Spa in Mishawaka has suddenly closed its doors.

When WSBT went there Monday afternoon, we saw equipment and furniture being loaded into a truck.

The Tribune's Heidi Prescott reports Ja Ross closed its business on Saturday and will not relocate or re-open.

We've heard from a number of people who say they're upset the business is closed, because many had bought pre-paid services as presents for Mother's Day.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/ws ... 9938.photo
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:57 am

Weiss Homes winds down
Several contractors, suppliers say they're owed money

Weiss Homes Design
The former Weiss Homes Design Center stands closed Thursday at 6252 Business Center Drive in South Bend. The company once was one of Michiana's largest homebuilders, but now it's winding down its operations. (South Bend Tribune/KEVIN ALLEN / June 14, 2013)

By KEVIN ALLEN South Bend Tribune

6:19 a.m. EDT, June 16, 2013
SOUTH BEND -- Weiss Homes, a company that for decades was one of Michiana's largest homebuilders, is winding down its operations, and several local contractors and suppliers are claiming the company or its affiliated entities owe them hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Dave Weiss, owner of Weiss Homes and the son of its founder, said the company is still in business but has not pulled a permit to build a new home since July. It's in the process of finishing the last five or six homes remaining on its books, he said.

Weiss said the recession and lack of a strong housing recovery dragged down the company. He said the number of new housing starts in St. Joseph County plummeted from about 800 per year before the recession to fewer than 100 per year after the economy dipped.

"A typical recession would last one to two years, and housing would lead us out of the recession. This time was different," he said. "Basically, it's been a depression in real estate the last five years. We just couldn't get ahead of the curve."

The former Weiss Homes Design Center at 6252 Business Center Drive, visible from the Indiana Toll Road on the city's northwest side, is closed. A real estate firm's sign is in front of the property, advertising that the building is available. American Electric Power stuck a notice in the front door Thursday that a shutoff was pending.

It's a dramatic turn for Michiana's real estate landscape.

Weiss Homes, according to its website, built more than 3,000 houses in the region since its founding in 1967.

In the past year, however, contractors and suppliers have filed mechanic's liens in St. Joseph County for more than $300,000 worth of work they performed or materials they delivered for Weiss Homes or its affiliated entities.

A few of those contractors also have won judgments in St. Joseph Superior Court.

Weiss and some of its affiliated entities owe Kaser & Maeyens, a South Bend company that pours concrete foundations, more than $260,000, according to a judgment issued May 24. The companies owe Kuert Concrete more than $180,000, according to a separate judgment issued the same day. Kozon Plumbing & Heating claims the Weiss companies owe it more than $40,000, according to court documents.

In addition, the court issued a judgment Dec. 4 in favor of South Bend-based Cabo Mechanical, finding that Weiss and its affiliates owe the company nearly $70,000.

Tim Abeska, a partner at Barnes & Thornburg and an attorney representing Cabo, said the Weiss companies have operated in a way that made it difficult for contractors to file timely, valid liens when they weren't paid for work.

Weiss established a dozen different limited-liability companies on June 18, 2009, according to Indiana secretary of state records.

Many of those LLCs are named after specific subdivisions -- Weiss Homes Lafayette Falls Building LLC, for example. The company subsequently established three more Weiss Homes-affiliated LLCs. All of the documents list the address of 6252 Business Center Drive and bear an electronic signature from Rita Shell Weiss, who is Dave Weiss' wife.

"I believe it is reasonable to conclude that the various entities were formed to shield the company from claims," Abeska said. "One could conclude this was done by design to make it difficult for contractors and suppliers to file liens."

Abeska explained that contractors might have thought they were working for Weiss Homes Inc., but if their work actually was ordered by Weiss Homes Audubon Woods Building LLC, for example, a lien filed against Weiss Homes Inc. wouldn't be valid.

Abeska added that, for residential construction, Indiana law requires contractors and suppliers to file liens within 60 days of the last date they performed labor or supplied materials. He said the Weiss companies typically issued purchase orders and invoices on 60-day terms.

"By the time you know you're not going to get paid, your lien rights have evaporated," Abeska said.

Dave Weiss said that wasn't the company's motivation.

"They were very aware of which company they were working for. All of their purchase orders came from each company," he said. "We all had an agreement on what the payment terms were. As the economy got rougher, sometimes we extended those terms, and we agreed to do that."

Several contractors said the houses they worked on for Weiss Homes or its affiliates were purchased and are occupied. That leads them to wonder why the companies haven't been able to pay them for that work.

Abeska said, "The obvious question in all of this, since we know subcontractors and suppliers haven't been paid, is what happened to the money that homeowners paid to buy the homes?"

Garey Kaser, president of Kaser & Maeyens, said the amount of money Weiss companies owes him is "devastating" for his six-person operation.

Ron Ericson, the chief financial officer at Kuert Concrete, said it has been difficult to get any answers from Weiss. "It's been a very trying experience dealing with them," he said.

Kuert's claims against the Weiss companies stretch back to 2009, according to court documents.

"In better times it would be less of a blow," Ericson said. "It's not earth-shattering, but it's significant enough that it bothers you."

Dave Weiss said he also lost his savings trying to keep Weiss Homes afloat. "I hope it comes out that I tried my best to keep it going," he said.

He said the company was offering bigger and bigger incentives -- anywhere from $5,000 to $15,000, sometimes as much as $20,000, per home -- to motivate buyers.

"Many times, those incentives ate into the profit margins," he said. "We were less and less profitable, and some homes we actually lost money on -- a lot of homes, actually."

Weiss said he still lives in the area.

In addition to finishing what remains of Weiss Homes' projects, he said he works as a Realtor through Alliance Realty of Michiana. According to Indiana secretary of state records, Alliance was established in August last year at 6252 Business Center Drive. Rita Shell Weiss' electronic signature is on the organization certificate.

Turning Point Homes, established in April last year at 6252 Business Center Drive, also has Rita Shell Weiss' electronic signature on its organization certificate.

Both of the above companies and Weiss Homes list the same phone number on their respective websites.

Some of the subdivision locations, such as Lafayette Falls, Royal Oak Estates and Newbury Pointe, identified on Turning Point's website are also listed on Weiss Homes' website.

Lafayette Falls residents complained to South Bend Common Council members last week that the subdivision's homeowners association hasn't been maintaining the streets and common areas of the development. The Tribune reported Wednesday that Eric Horvath, the city's public works director, said Kendall Weiss LLP, of which Dave Weiss is an owner, should handle the pavement and other infrastructure problems in the neighborhood. If they aren't solved, the city could cash in the company's $150,000 surety bond.

The Tribune also reported in that article that the county engineering office cashed in two letters of credit late last year on Weiss projects -- $45,000 for the Willowgate Trails subdivision, and $25,000 for the Farmington Hills subdivision.

Staff writer Kevin Allen:

kallen@sbtinfo.com

574-235-6244
http://www.southbendtribune.com/busines ... ory?page=2
Happy Mom

Postby Kingsman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:26 am

Very sad story; devastating for the firms that will lose money. I imagine that Forumers know at least one person who bought a Weiss-built home.
Kingsman

Postby rickmeck » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:02 am

I know of a very high-profile person that bought a Weiss home.

Kingsman wrote:Very sad story; devastating for the firms that will lose money. I imagine that Forumers know at least one person who bought a Weiss-built home.
rickmeck

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:50 am

Part of Grape Road shopping center heading to sheriff's auction
Updated: Mon 5:16 PM, Mar 10, 2014
By: NewsCenter 16 Staff Email

MISHAWAKA, Ind. A portion of a Grape Road shopping center has fallen into foreclosure.

Court documents say a portion of the plaza at Grape and Day will be sold at a sheriff's auction in April, in an attempt to satisfy an outstanding debt of $6.8 million.

It includes the building at 4110 Grape Road, which now houses Family Christian Store.

It also includes a couple of neighboring vacant storefronts.

Court documents show the building was purchased by Chicago area investors in 2006, and financed through a bank that was taken over by the state of Illinois-- because it was not solvent.
http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Grap ... 39651.html
Happy Mom

Previous

Return to Michiana Area