backstageadd ND

Counterfeit $100 bills

Mishawaka, Osceola, Elkhart, Plymouth, etc.

Counterfeit $100 bills

Postby Xenokilla » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:59 pm

Had one at work about a month ago, failed the pen test and looked fake on closer inspection. Had a lady come in with one today, also failed the pen test. I didn't have a chance to give it a really good once over but a bill rarely ever fails the pen test. I wanted to call the cops and report it but was blocked from doing so. Anyway, check your bills! staples has counterfeit detection pens for $4.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
On twitter: @Xenokilla
Check my game reviews and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/xenokillaoftaw
Xenokilla

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills

Postby backstagedee » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:11 pm

Thanks
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Xenokilla wrote: I wanted to call the cops and report it but was blocked from doing so.

Xenokilla, why were you blocked?
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Xenokilla » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:18 pm

Happy Mom wrote:
Xenokilla wrote: I wanted to call the cops and report it but was blocked from doing so.

Xenokilla, why were you blocked?

eh, i don't want to give away too much information but i wanted to call the cops but one of the other employee's just wanted to let the lady pay with another $100 that passed the test and be on her way. I didn't have the authority to override them.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
Xenokilla

Postby John Q Public » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:20 pm

The marking pens are pretty much useless with the counterfeit process being used. Most of the "fake" bills are actually currency but were bleached out. The bad guys take a $1.00 bill, bleach the ink from the bill and then use a home computer printer and re-print the bill with the denomination of choice. Oftentimes its a Benji but it could be any denomination. The only foolproof way to catch the counterfeit is to look at the watermark. If the watermark is of Ole' George and it is a $100 bill call the cops... The pens won't uncover the counterfeit because the note is actual currency so it will be authentic...according to the pen.
If you like your health insurance, you can keep it. --- Barack Hussein Obama
John Q Public

Location: Somewhere in a tall building in downtown South Bend

Postby Xenokilla » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:33 pm

John Q Public wrote:The marking pens are pretty much useless with the counterfeit process being used. Most of the "fake" bills are actually currency but were bleached out. The bad guys take a $1.00 bill, bleach the ink from the bill and then use a home computer printer and re-print the bill with the denomination of choice. Oftentimes its a Benji but it could be any denomination. The only foolproof way to catch the counterfeit is to look at the watermark. If the watermark is of Ole' George and it is a $100 bill call the cops... The pens won't uncover the counterfeit because the note is actual currency so it will be authentic...according to the pen.

Interesting, so if a $100 fails the pen test that means it was a bleached $1? I'll have to talk to my people about that.
Xenokilla

Postby bdcbbq » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:20 am

I wonder if I should check bills when I get them from the bank. I don't get many $100's from other people.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby bob_rx2000 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:38 am

I've had a $20 that I received from the bank fail the "pen test". Uniquely enough, when I went back there 15 minutes later, the bank claimed it was a good bill, but exchanged it for me...
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby John Q Public » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:07 pm

Xenokilla wrote:
John Q Public wrote:The marking pens are pretty much useless with the counterfeit process being used. Most of the "fake" bills are actually currency but were bleached out. The bad guys take a $1.00 bill, bleach the ink from the bill and then use a home computer printer and re-print the bill with the denomination of choice. Oftentimes its a Benji but it could be any denomination. The only foolproof way to catch the counterfeit is to look at the watermark. If the watermark is of Ole' George and it is a $100 bill call the cops... The pens won't uncover the counterfeit because the note is actual currency so it will be authentic...according to the pen.

Interesting, so if a $100 fails the pen test that means it was a bleached $1? I'll have to talk to my people about that.

No, actually the bleach process counterfeit will pass the pen test. It will turn color as its supposed to. That little fact causes all kinds of cashiers to let their guard down. The reason it appears to be a good bill is because the paper is authentic currency - but it was converted from a $1.00 bill to a $100.00 bill. To catch the counterfeit you have to hold it up to the light and look at the watermark. Does the watermark match the denomination of the bill presented? If its a $5.00, then it should have Honest Abe's watermark on the bill. The integrity strip is a giveaway as well. It all has to match up. Don't expect the thief to present the fakes when you have all kinds of time to examine it. They will present it when you are your busiest or at your family garage sale. BEWARE!

PS If the bill fails the pen test it means the paper is not authentic currency, and should be examined further. It's likely fake too, but above described process seems to be the most popular right now. Just about anybody with a color printer can run a counterfeit operation.
John Q Public

Postby John Q Public » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Here's an example. See how Lincoln is the watermark? If its a $100.00 it has be Benjamin. This is a classic example of the bleach process counterfeit. The top example was formerly a $5.00 bill.
John Q Public

Next

Return to Michiana Area