backstageadd ND

Reserve officer loses job for carrying gun on school grounds

Mishawaka, Osceola, Elkhart, Plymouth, etc.

Reserve officer loses job for carrying gun on school grounds

Postby Xenokilla » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:36 pm

ELKHART COUNTY -

Should a sworn police officer be allowed to carry a gun on school property if he's working there as a private citizen? A former grounds keeper for Concord Community Schools says his status as an Elkhart County reserve officer means he can.

But the Concord superintendent says that officer violated school policy and broke the law.

On January 28, Rick Ball went into work at Concord. All of the corporation’s schools were closed because of weather, but as a grounds worker he still had to be there. That same day, Ball was involved in a car accident in a school vehicle and that’s when his boss found out Ball was carrying a gun.

That supervisor reported the firearm to the school superintendent who met with Ball at the end of the week and told him he would either be fired or forced to resign.

“I feel like I’ve done nothing wrong,” Ball said.

As an Elkhart County Sheriff’s reserve deputy, Ball has a badge and gun and can arrest anyone at anytime. The only thing that makes him different from other deputies is the fact that he’s not paid for any of his service to the department – it’s all volunteer work.

But he didn’t think those police powers would have a negative impact on his job at Concord schools.

“If a situation would arise where we have an active shooter or something, we have to be prepared because I’m required to go in and help take care of it,” he explained, saying he’s been trained for active shooter situations.

Ball said he almost always kept his gun in his personal car while on school property, but on January 26 he responded to a domestic violence call before going to work at Concord. He said he put the .380 revolver in his coat pocket for that call then didn’t think to take it out before returning to work Monday.

“Law enforcement people are allowed to have [weapons] on them on school grounds but it would have to be approved by our school board,” explained Concord Superintendent Wayne Stubbs. “This is not a situation where that was approved.”

But the school had hired Ball as a police officer in the past. Last school year, for example, it paid him to drive a squad car and wear a gun and badge during a school shooting threat.

Continued
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
On twitter: @Xenokilla
Check my game reviews and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/xenokillaoftaw
Xenokilla

Re: Reserve officer loses job for carrying gun on school gro

Postby Xenokilla » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:36 pm

I know a few people here are current/former Law Enforcement, thoughts?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
Xenokilla

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:48 pm

I think absolutely he should be able to carry a weapon on the school property. Many officers come into school armed. I still can't believe I cannot keep my guns locked in my car on school property... :naughty: :hand: :roll:
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Xenokilla » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:32 pm

Happy Mom wrote:I think absolutely he should be able to carry a weapon on the school property. Many officers come into school armed. I still can't believe I cannot keep my guns locked in my car on school property... :naughty: :hand: :roll:

That's the one thing i really like about IN gun laws, i can keep my gun in my car and if my employer has any issues with it he can kick rocks. I remember when i was at IUSB and they read you the riot act about not having guns in your car on campus, because clearly they pose a great danger
Xenokilla

Postby bob_rx2000 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:42 am

Xeno,

Did you pay any attention to IUSB?
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby BobbyBeetleMishawaka » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:39 am

bob_rx2000 wrote:Xeno,

To be fair, does anybody?
THE ONLY REASON
TO BE AGAINST VOTER ID
IS IF YOU SUPPORT VOTER FRAUD.

-- Bill Adams
BobbyBeetleMishawaka

Postby bob_rx2000 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:45 pm

With the caveats that I like several of the guys on IUSB's force, and I know they are often simply enforcing the policies of the liberal weenies in the corner offices, I decline to answer that question on 5th amendment grounds.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby Xenokilla » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:54 pm

bob_rx2000 wrote:Xeno,

A piece of paper on my wall says i did?
Xenokilla

Postby dunk50 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:16 am

I don't know where the idiots come from. Insist on a gun free zone, and what better place for a head case to go do their dastardly deeds. My God people, use SOME COMMON SENSE!!
Military at 17, 7th SFG Ft. Bragg, 10th SFG Bad Tolz, 5th SFG Nam, 34 Years South Bend Police and retired. Should be fishin but I'm on here!
dunk50

Return to Michiana Area