backstageadd ND

Two brothers dead in apparent overdose following party

Mishawaka, Osceola, Elkhart, Plymouth, etc.

Two brothers dead in apparent overdose following party

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:43 pm

Two Granger brothers dead in apparent overdose following party

Updated: Sun 9:13 PM, Jun 14, 2015
By: NewsCenter 16

Two brothers have died Sunday after being found unresponsive at home following a party on Saturday night.
Granger brothers Jack (left) and Nick (right) Savage died Sunday of an apparent drug overdose after attending a party Saturday night.

St. Joseph County, Ind. St. Joseph County Metro Homicide says two brothers from Granger died early Sunday morning of an apparent drug overdose after attending a house party a mile from their home Saturday night.

Two others who attended the party are in the hospital and are expected to recover, police said.

According to the St. Joseph County Coroner's Office, Nick and Jack Savage were found at home unresponsive--around 11:30 a.m. Sunday. The brother were pronounced dead at their home.

Jack graduated from Penn a few weeks ago. Nick graduated from Penn last year. Both Savage brothers played on the Kingsmen hockey tea
m.

"I'm sure there's going to be a lot of people shaking their heads saying, I didn't think it would happen here--this happens in five million dollar houses, it happens in 50 dollar houses," Metro Homicide Commander Tim Corbett said at news conference Sunday. "Nobody's immune to this, we do everything every day to try and prevent it. And you hear the arguments, 'oh it's just marijuana, legalize it.' That's the simple way of just sweeping it under the carpet instead of trying to stop it. It's the manifestation of what happens after it. It's not just getting high. It's the deaths. Go out and look these parents in the face and tell them that their children are dead."

Metro Homicide says they believe prescription drugs may have been used at the party but did not want to speculate on what exactly led to the brothers' deaths until autopsy and toxicology results are done. Autopsies are scheduled for Monday.

So far, police have interviewed more than 20 people who were at the party.

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Two- ... 03751.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: Two brothers dead in apparent overdose following party

Postby bob_rx2000 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:44 am

So, I just have to ask...

What on earth does the following statement have to do with this tragic event: "And you hear the arguments, 'oh it's just marijuana, legalize it.' That's the simple way of just sweeping it under the carpet instead of trying to stop it. "? According to the article the Metro Homicide unit believes that prescription drugs may have been used. That comment sounds like the Metro Homicide commander having a gratuitous attack on the legalize pot movement.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:17 am

bob_rx2000 wrote:So, I just have to ask...

What on earth does the following statement have to do with this tragic event: "And you hear the arguments, 'oh it's just marijuana, legalize it.' That's the simple way of just sweeping it under the carpet instead of trying to stop it. "? According to the article the Metro Homicide unit believes that prescription drugs may have been used. That comment sounds like the Metro Homicide commander having a gratuitous attack on the legalize pot movement.

I thought the same thing... I am amazed how many people are addicted to "prescription drugs" I don't think marijuana was mentioned at all...
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby bdcbbq » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:42 am

Opiate addiction via pain medications is a pretty common occurrence. It kind of just happens to some people. After taking them for awhile a physical dependence begins, then a person has to go through physical withdrawal, which is like a horrible case of the flu for a couple of weeks. Withdrawal can be managed medically to reduce the misery, but it almost always needs done under medical supervision. There isn't anyplace to do it though.

In this case, my suspicion is there was a mixture of opiates and alcohol that shut down their respiratory system. It could also have been heroin. The heroin may not have been diluted very much causing a higher dose than planned.

We can definitely assume that all four of these kids were at a party together and someone had a quantity of the drugs. I would also expect these were kids just getting high on the weekends occasionally, and not the stereotypical junkies.

I'm sure this will drop from the headlines. Even though it exhibits a big issue locally.

I have treated quite a few professionals for opiate addiction, usually Vicodin. I know of 2 local law enforcement officers. One did well, and I'm pretty sure is still on the job. The other couldn't stay clean in spite of 3 treatment attempts over several months. The last I heard he was arrested for forging a prescription. The pharmacist caught it and ... Not to disparage LE, but I have also treated attorneys, teachers, social workers, politicians, engineers, a CEO, and the whole gamut of societal lines.

The family has my sympathy.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby bubblyone » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:50 am

bob_rx2000 wrote:So, I just have to ask...

I take not stand on the pot issue; except to say that it is widely recognized that pot is the "gateway" to other drugs. I wonder if someone were able to do an honest survey/poll with people who get mixed up with drugs, would they say it started with pot?

What I do know is this, we would all be schocked to see how many kids these days are using prescription drugs and / or heroin. I have a friend whose bright straight a student transferred from IUPUI to Bloomington and promptly got mixed up in heroin. His is life is forever changed; due to the felony on his record. He came from a good family whose parents were involved and looking over his shoulder. What they did not see was that he had gone from pot to prescription drugs...the SJCPD told this mother (as she was kicking his ***) that it is very common problem today and the overdose numbers are there, they are just not talked about in the obits.

Normally, I am not a fan of Corbett; however, I found it refreshing that someone will stand up and speak out. Until it hits your home or your life, we are able to sweep it under the rug ...

My heart is heavy for this family of two boys. I cannot imagine how deep their pain will be for the rest of their lives.
bubblyone

Postby Xenokilla » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:14 am

bubblyone wrote:I take not stand on the pot issue; except to say that it is widely recognized that pot is the "gateway" to other drugs. I wonder if someone were able to do an honest survey/poll with people who get mixed up with drugs, would they say it started with pot.

That is complete and total nonsense.

http://www.newsweek.com/marijuana-not-g ... rug-325358
http://healthland.time.com/2010/10/29/m ... l-not-die/
http://www.economist.com/blogs/democrac ... lising-pot
http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_brief ... ndex1.html
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/en ... -drug-myth

There has never been a reported death as a result of smoking pot, not a single one. Most likely the kids were hunting around in the parents medicine cabinet and found some pain meds and, as mentioned above, mixed it with alcohol and died because of it. maybe instead of teaching kids all drugs will kill you, we should teach them the truth and teach them about harm reduction and how to use drugs safely. DARE does not work.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=124088
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
On twitter: @Xenokilla
Check my game reviews and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/xenokillaoftaw
Xenokilla

Postby bob_rx2000 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:36 pm

Bubbly one, by your logic beer is a gateway drug, and so are coffee and milk...
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:59 am

Terry McFadden shared this on Facebook and it is truly heartbreaking to realize how many lives these boys have touched and how many hearts have been shattered by their tragic deaths.

Terry McFadden
6 hrs ·
I have been doing news for thirty years. And in that time, I have reported on more deaths than I care to recall. I've always managed to somehow keep the heartbreak of other people's personal tragedy at arms-length and not take it home with me, or at least not let it linger long at home. Like an ER doctor or nurse, you have to develop thick skin to the gut-wrenching misfortune of others, or it will simply consume you. It doesn't make you insensitive, uncaring or unsympathetic; it's a means of mental, spiritual and physical self-preservation. That all ended Sunday, when a story too close to me and my sister, Maureen, hit entirely too close to home.
By now, most everyone who follows South Bend area news knows about the deaths of teenage brothers Nick and Jack Savage. They were found dead Sunday morning in their Granger home. Police believe they had taken prescription drugs with alcohol at a party the night before at a home about a mile away. Two of their friends wound up in the hospital but, unlike Nick and Jack, are expected to recover. The death of one child to an accidental overdose, or by any means, is heartbreak for a lifetime. Losing two children in one cruel fell swoop is agony for an eternity. That is the awful hand dealt to Mike and Becky Savage.
The Savages are more than a family in the headlines. They are our friends and neighbors. The Savages raised their four boys right across the street from my sister. Their kids played in the cul-de-sac together, went to Penn schools together and hung out together. Mike Savage worked with our brother for ten years. That's when I first met Mike, back in the 90’s. Our paths would cross again in the Irish Youth Hockey League. The Savage’s third son, Justin, played hockey with my third son, Charlie. When it was time for high school hockey, The Savages went to Penn and The McFaddens (two of our three boys) played for St. Joe. Our oldest son, Michael, played against Nick. Charlie played against Jack and Justin. Michael also worked with Nick and Jack as ice guards at the Compton Family Ice Arena at Notre Dame.
The Penn/St. Joe battles are nothing short of controlled mayhem. There is no love lost—at least on the ice. After the game, off the ice, families and players from both teams mingle happily in the Ice Box lobby. Hockey people are unique. For three periods, they are at each other’s throats. But when the 3rd period horn sounds, and the traditional long line of handshakes has concluded, it’s as if we’re all back in youth hockey when our boys played with and against each other, when life seemed a lot less complicated. It’s like a family reunion. So, when misfortune befalls any hockey player or family member, the ENTIRE hockey family responds. At the end of the day, we’re all on the same team. We all face the same challenges, hopes and fears. Our boys (and girls) play a highly skilled, violent and expensive sport. We’ve all sacrificed, driven long distances together and spent late nights in hotel lobbies recounting the day’s victories or defeats. The hockey moms, dads and players crashed the Twitter boards hard when the tragic news broke.
It takes a certain kind of kid to play hockey: athletic, smart and gritty. But the best hockey players are the ones with all those qualities, plus that often elusive ingredient: character. That brings us to Nick and Jack Savage. Both served as captains of the Penn Hockey Club. Just this year, Jack led the Kingsmen to the 3A state championship, scoring a goal in the title game. Captains are chosen by their teammates. In a game as physical and demanding as hockey, you want someone you can depend on at all times leading you and your fellow skaters. Positions of leadership, and respect, are earned in the heat of competition. The Savage brothers were outstanding hockey players, who played the game the right way. The “C” on Nick and Jack Savage’s jerseys is entirely about character. That’s what makes their deaths so profoundly tragic and painful. How could two young men, who had seemingly made all the right decisions in life, who led by example, do something so out of character? The simple answer is we may never know. No one should judge them by this one tragic mistake. They did too much good in life and brought too much joy to those who loved and admired them. I look at that picture of Nick and Jack together and I see my two sons, my two hockey players. I can’t even contemplate how I would carry on.
I’ve had the good fortune to be able to report the news in my hometown. It’s a rarity in this business. It’s a blessing in so many ways. But since Sunday, it’s felt like a curse. When a storm so violent blows into our lives, sometimes even the deepest roots are unable to keep the mightiest of oaks from falling. I pray the clouds part quickly and the sun again shines warm upon the Savage Family, and on all of us who can’t but feel that, we too, have suffered an incomprehensible loss.

Happy Mom

Postby bdcbbq » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:36 am

There has never been a reported death as a result of smoking pot, not a single one

While technically correct, this is a very disingenuous statement. Driving while impaired and being in an accident comes to mind the most. The smoke definitely contributes to and aggravates lung issues. Slows reaction times. Decreases motivation. Increases memory loss. There are definitely deaths that "pot" has contributed to, many in a major way.

Regarding gateway to other drugs, Almost all of the drug addicts I treated and or worked with over 30 years started with alcohol or marijuana as their introduction. Not everyone who tries or uses marijuana goes on to be an addict, but many do.

I go back to the years of getting high in 60's and 70's. I'm definitely aware of the effects.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby Xenokilla » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:32 pm

bdcbbq wrote:
There has never been a reported death as a result of smoking pot, not a single one

While technically correct, this is a very disingenuous statement. Driving while impaired and being in an accident comes to mind the most. The smoke definitely contributes to and aggravates lung issues. Slows reaction times. Decreases motivation. Increases memory loss. There are definitely deaths that "pot" has contributed to, many in a major way.

Regarding gateway to other drugs, Almost all of the drug addicts I treated and or worked with over 30 years started with alcohol or marijuana as their introduction. Not everyone who tries or uses marijuana goes on to be an addict, but many do.

I go back to the years of getting high in 60's and 70's. I'm definitely aware of the effects.

I will agree that weed is far from totally harmless. However in this case, the kids were sitting at home partaking. not driving, not doing anything. if all they had smoked was weed, the worst that could have happened is they got a little hungry. Refusing to tell kids the truth about drugs is what caused these deaths.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
On twitter: @Xenokilla
Check my game reviews and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/xenokillaoftaw
Xenokilla

Next

Return to Michiana Area