backstageadd ND

Arts, Schmarts - Who Needs the Arts?

Arts, Schmarts - Who Needs the Arts?

Postby Mr.Johnson » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:28 pm

Arts Advocacy Alert: Proposed State Budget Slashes Arts Funding

Governor's Budget Slashes the Arts by 50%
Take Action!

Governor Mitch Daniels's proposed budget, submitted to the State Legislature in early January, cuts the budget of the Indiana Arts Commission (IAC) by fifty percent, or $2 million per year, for the next two years.

This 50% cut would drop per state capita spending on the arts to approximately 32¢ per citizen (the national average is $1.18). Already ranked 37th nationally, this cut would put Indiana in a dismal 48th place out of 50.

Yes, Indiana is facing a serious revenue shortfall. However -- the average cut for state agencies in the Governor's budget is only eight percent.
**************************************************************************************************************************
I disagree with the Governor on this one. Tell me we are not as backwards as this proposal suggests. With multiple school programming cutbacks, elimination of after-school programs coupled with the general dumbing down of our students this is a terrible decision. What say you?
Mr.Johnson

Re: Arts, Schmarts - Who Needs the Arts?

Postby JC2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:38 am

No to fear the "stimulate" bill has 50 million it for the arts. Could be shrewd move to get back from DC money due to our budget cut. Not sure how that stimulates the economy and creates jobs.......
1-20-2013 can not arrive too soon.
JC2

Re: Arts, Schmarts - Who Needs the Arts?

Postby bob_rx2000 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:18 am

Hey - maybe we could get Uncle Sap to pay for the cement garden of alleged art being built downtown...
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Return to Indiana and Midwest