backstageadd ND

BBC documentary : Gary, IN.

BBC documentary : Gary, IN.

Postby backstagedee » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:07 am

Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Re: BBC documentary : Gary, IN.

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:44 am

"Gary's the most extreme case that you could find in our state, but there are many others that are a lesser version of that same story, and as I say to those communities - their leaders - all the time: people aren't leaving here because you didn't tax them enough, because you didn't spend enough money on this or that public service - they left because you taxed them too much or you simply did not create the conditions for a private sector to flourish."

Quote from Governor Mitch Daniels and, in my opinion, he is talking about South Bend too.

What a sad piece.. :cry:
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby bob_rx2000 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:47 pm

Happy Mom wrote:What a sad piece.. :cry:

The truth hurts, doesn't it. Gary has reaped exactly what was sown.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby SouthBendInvestor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:40 pm

Man that is sad.. And yes South Bend could head down that road in some lesser form, but still upsetting nevertheless.

Though looking at Warlowski and Donnely etc etc,, quite frankly both make me want to barf.

To solve these types of urban problems I think that a public private partnership is the only way. The Government needs to lead the way and lay a path for Private sector companies to come in and do some of the remediation work for their new location in exchange for a nice long tax abatement.. of say 20 years.. Though I would require the company donate a combination of funds to local schools organizations and city sector groups that help foster and grow the local community in Lieu of property taxes.

I do not think tearing all of it down is the answer. Most of the important properties should be saved and restored with new business, while the rest of the non essential no historic should come down and be downsized.

Private sector and government worked together and back slapped each other to create this blight (anyone who doesnt believe that is a one sided dingbat) and I believe the private sector and government can work together to fix this.

Though.. Its so sad it makes me cry.. I love our steel heritage and it sucks to have lost it.
SouthBendInvestor

Postby SouthBendInvestor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:48 pm

Ohh A side note which kind of pissed me off.... No one mentioned from either the mayors office or anyone else that the prior administrations leaders embezzled millions of tax dollars the last 15 years that was suppose to go toward restoring the downtown district etc etc...

The sort of things that we have seen crop up here and there here in South Bend at DTSB.. and over inflated property purchases by the city and county government of buddies land.
SouthBendInvestor

Return to Indiana and Midwest