backstageadd ND

Indiana Toll Road

Indiana Toll Road

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:22 am

Dr. Happy and I were driving back from D.C. last weekend and counted 29 dead deer on the side of the road on the Ohio Tollroad. Each one had a orange cone beside it to either caution or mark the spot for the Tollroad Dept to pick up. We did not see one dead deer on the Toll Road in Indiana and we thought that either Indiana was quicker at picking up the dead deer or that Indiana was throwing their deer in Ohio. There were some huge deer also which I'm sure made lots of damage..

What's that out the car window?
VOICE OF THE PEOPLE

Can the government maintain a highway better than private enterprise? I doubt it.

On Sunday, Oct. 31, my son and his neighbor from near Lima, Ohio, drove to visit me in Sturgis. They traveled about 140 miles in about two and a quarter hours. The route was U.S. 30 to Fort Wayne, then the Interstate 469 bypass and Interstate 69 north to the Indiana Toll Road. They traveled about 25 miles on the Toll Road.

Because they were bored, they began to count roadkill and debris along the roadway.

They counted one fox, one squirrel, one snake, two birds, three rabbits, four skunks, eight deer and 42 raccoons. They spotted another 112 things that once were living, but no longer identifiable.

Most surprising to me, they recorded 124 tires or pieces of tire at least a foot square.
The total was 298 things on and by the roads — more than two pieces of stuff for every mile traveled.

Interestingly, when they hit the Indiana Toll Road — a road leased by a private enterprise — they saw none of these things. No tires, deer, coons or unidentifiable remains. Nothing.

The Toll Road is excellently maintained and clean. Government maintained roads are littered with debris and, in many instances, not as well maintained.

Pat Glon
Sturgis
http://www.southbendtribune.com/article ... 63/Opinion
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: Indidana Toll Road

Postby Buck Wheat » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:53 am

Indidana?

:?: :?: :?:
Buck Wheat

Re: Indidana Toll Road

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:55 am

Buck Wheat wrote:Indidana?

:?: :?: :?:

Thanks Buck!! :doh: :D
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: Indiana Toll Road

Postby John Q Public » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:37 pm

I don't like the self pay, somewhat of a pain. But, when you get to deal with a real person their attitude is better. I agree that it seems to be well cared for.
If you like your health insurance, you can keep it. --- Barack Hussein Obama
John Q Public

Location: Somewhere in a tall building in downtown South Bend

Postby lionsshare » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:56 am

Haha, I love this story.

When they were discussing the plans for leasing the toll road, I remember that a lot of people around me were telling me that "They're SELLING the toll road!!" Like the Aussie company was gonna rip up the asphalt and take it back to Australia with them.

Now, a few years later, we are seeing the benefits of a private company running it. People are still upset, but you just can't please them all.
Looking For Web Design in South Bend? LS Media's team of web ninja's can help!
lionsshare

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:12 am

Additional fees take a toll on drivers
VOICE OF THE PEOPLE

Indiana Toll Road transponders now have a $12 per year maintenance fee no matter what payment option you choose to load your account. I opened my toll road transponder bill and found a $1 maintenance fee. I contacted the toll road and an agent said I was notified on my bill that everyone will now pay the fee. I check my account online and never saw such a notification.

I was told I agreed with the terms and conditions when I purchased my transponder and even if they change I agreed to abide by “their” terms and conditions. If I don’t like it I should turn in the transponder.

Previously you could avoid the $1 fee by auto deduction. No longer. For every 1,000 people who have transponders, the Toll Road gets an additional $1,000 per month or $12,000 per year! If there were just 5,000 people who have transponders, that’s $5,000 per month or $60,000 per year! I don’t know how many transponders are in use but I’m sure it is more than 5,000.

I will be returning my transponder to get my $10 deposit and amount on the account. I will not use the Toll Road unless it is an emergency. I hope others feel this $12 per year fee is an uncalled for hike in the price of the tolls.

Pat Kobalski
South Bend

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article ... 63/Opinion
Happy Mom

Postby raycyrx » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:47 pm

I will be returning my transponder to get my $10 deposit and amount on the account. I will not use the Toll Road unless it is an emergency.

Well done for exercising your freedom to do business how, and with whom you wish.
The Church is not a hotel for saints. It is a hospital for sinners.
St. Augustine
raycyrx

Postby Betsy Wallace » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:06 pm

I may be in the minority but I love my IZoom. I think it is well worth the $12/year. I love that I can go to different states and not worry about having to bring change.
Betsy Wallace

Postby backstagedee » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:37 pm

I agree Betsy.
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
backstagedee

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:55 pm

Betsy Wallace wrote:I may be in the minority but I love my IZoom. I think it is well worth the $12/year. I love that I can go to different states and not worry about having to bring change.

backstagedee
I agree Betsy.

I love it too and now that Ohio has it, I have a straight shot South without having to remember to have change and money ready... especially in West Va., Pa, and on my way to O'Hare the other day, it really cut down on the waiting in line to pay. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Happy Mom

Next

Return to Indiana and Midwest