backstageadd ND

Partners

Partners

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:27 am

There was a very interesting Voice of the People this morning: I know some posters on SBF are already doing this but I thought it was positive and refreshing...
States should partner up and give each other a break
VOICE OF THE PEOPLE

Why doesn’t Indiana become kissing cousins with Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky or Illinois? We could partner with one of our border states and give each other mini-discounts if we buy from each other or vacation in each other’s state. Two heads are better one.

If every state adopted a neighboring state and worked together on each other’s concerns and helped each other with things, both states might profit.
Hence our Hoosiers might profit a bit.

This might be an idea for U.S. Congressman Joe Donnelly, D-Granger, or Gov. Mitch Daniels to flop around. Think of the attention they would get if a Democratic congressman and Republican governor came together with this idea of helping each other for the people.

Philip Canoy
http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pb ... 63/Opinion
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: Partners

Postby bob_rx2000 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:11 am

Actually, that is one of the questions I've always had about procurement by state agencies. Why shouldn't the state police agencies in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and perhaps Illinois get together and buy all their police cars in one large contract? They ought to be able to negotiate really hefty discounts per vehicle from the manufacturers, and in point of fact, the manufacturers would probably love to get a huge on-going base business contract like that one. The same is doubtlessly true for suppliers of all kinds of commodities.

On the other hand, I believe there are laws that require suppliers to give the "best and final" price to government agencies to begin with and they already get "most favored nation" treatment if prices are reduced for someone else. So it might be of little matter.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Return to Indiana and Midwest