backstageadd ND

Indiana police leader says he'd legalize marijuana [WSBT]

Indiana police leader says he'd legalize marijuana [WSBT]

Postby Xenokilla » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:12 pm

http://www.wsbt.com/news/wsbt-indiana-p ... 0807.story

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — If it were up to the head of the Indiana State Police, marijuana would be legalized and taxed.

State police Superintendent Paul Whitesell told members of the State Budget Committee on Tuesday that he's followed the issue during his 40-year law enforcement career and believes "it is here, it's going to stay." He cited voter-passed measures in Colorado and Oregon that allow adults to have small amounts of marijuana as evidence of a national shift on the issue.

"My thought is, toward the zenith of my career, it is here, it's going to stay," Whitesell told the panel. "That's an awful lot of victimization that goes with it.

"If it were up to me I do believe I would legalize it and tax it, particularly in sight of the fact that several other states have now come to that part of their legal system as well."

His answer came in response to Democratic Rep. Sheila Klinker's question about pending proposals to decriminalize small amounts of the drug. Klinker said after the hearing she was surprised to hear his response, but believes much of the country is changing its attitude on marijuana.

"I think the tendency throughout the United States is to control it, because the drug cartels are controlling us in many ways and getting a lot of our folks not only killed, but getting the money, rather than taxing the situation and controlling it," Klinker said.

Democratic Sen. Karen Tallian has proposed decriminalizing marijuana and Republican Sen. Brent Steele said he would consider a similar measure during the upcoming legislative session.

In Indiana, possessing 30 grams or less of marijuana is a Class A misdemeanor on the first offense and carries a sentence of up to one year. Possession of more than 30 grams — roughly an ounce — is a Class D felony that carries a sentence of one to three years in prison.

Supporters of decriminalization say the current manner of prosecuting those possessing pot crowds state prisons and damages young offenders' futures with a criminal record.

"As a practicing attorney, I've seen a significant amount of state dollars spent on prosecuting and incarcerating individuals caught with small amounts of marijuana," Steele said in a statement Tuesday. "We have to ask ourselves if this is the best use of our criminal justice resources.

"It's a matter of priorities, and I believe our focus should be on pursuing, prosecuting and incarcerating people who commit violent crimes, not simply people who make poor personal decisions."
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
On twitter: @Xenokilla
Check my game reviews and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/xenokillaoftaw
Xenokilla

Re: Indiana police leader says he'd legalize marijuana [WSBT

Postby bob_rx2000 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:47 pm

Wow, some with sense. What a refreshing article.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby dunk50 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Well Bob that makes two or maybe 3 of us. I have thought marijuana should have been legalized for 40 years. It takes a great deal of manpower to enforce these silly laws not to mention courts etc. Crack, cocaine, hash, totally different story!!
Military at 17, 7th SFG Ft. Bragg, 10th SFG Bad Tolz, 5th SFG Nam, 34 Years South Bend Police and retired. Should be fishin but I'm on here!
dunk50

Postby Xenokilla » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Three people on this form agree with something? Dang, the Mayans might have been unto something!
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
Xenokilla

Postby raycyrx » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:34 am

Xenokilla wrote:Three people on this form agree with something? Dang, the Mayans might have been unto something!

four
The Church is not a hotel for saints. It is a hospital for sinners.
St. Augustine
raycyrx

Postby bob_rx2000 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:28 am

Well, here is the thing. For better or for worse, the legal classification of pot is an artifact of the racial prejudice of the country. When pot was put on the schedule of drugs the use of it was limited principally to the black population, so draconian penalties for using it were not noticed by the then majority of society. However, the result is that today pot is classified federally in the same category as opiates and other narcotics. With that level of penalty, there are at least 100 million (1/3 the population of the country) who admit to having used it, and quite possibly 30 million (10% of the population) who use it today in spite of the risk of those penalties.

This is the exact same situation that prevailed during the 1920's and the prohibition era. We are spending billions upon billions annually to try to stop the flood of pot importation and local growth, and yet cannot do so because a huge portion of the population wants the substance. Why not tax the daylights out of it, making money that can fund the law enforcement efforts on far more dangerous drugs and remove at a stroke the income from the criminal syndicates?
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby bdcbbq » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:35 am

Five.

From casual conversations over the years with many of the on-the-street law enforcement folks including police, correction officers, judges, federal agents, probation officers, etc. there are quite a few others. Most of these folks won't say so publicly, but do agree privately. The people who want it kept illegal have a financial interest in the status quo and/or being politically correct.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:00 am

six.....
I never used it but knew many people, especially in College, that did. Most are very successful citizens and I would have hated if they had an arrest for it on their record... I think it is a waste of Taxpayers money to arrest, try and incarcerate...
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Wilson » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:53 am

Seven. Though I don't partake, I agree with Bob and Happy.
Wilson

Postby Xenokilla » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:53 am

bob_rx2000 wrote:Well, here is the thing. For better or for worse, the legal classification of pot is an artifact of the racial prejudice of the country. When pot was put on the schedule of drugs the use of it was limited principally to the black population, so draconian penalties for using it were not noticed by the then majority of society. However, the result is that today pot is classified federally in the same category as opiates and other narcotics. With that level of penalty, there are at least 100 million (1/3 the population of the country) who admit to having used it, and quite possibly 30 million (10% of the population) who use it today in spite of the risk of those penalties.

This is the exact same situation that prevailed during the 1920's and the prohibition era. We are spending billions upon billions annually to try to stop the flood of pot importation and local growth, and yet cannot do so because a huge portion of the population wants the substance. Why not tax the daylights out of it, making money that can fund the law enforcement efforts on far more dangerous drugs and remove at a stroke the income from the criminal syndicates?

Exactly, weed was made illegal because people were afraid if white house wives smoked it they'd go out and get it on with African American jazz musicians. No, really.

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others."
Source
Xenokilla

Next

Return to Indiana and Midwest