backstageadd ND

State police paring down gun permit backlog

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:40 am

File Art - Police Sirens

Posted: Monday, July 8, 2013 6:43 am

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Indiana State Police expect by mid-September to have pared down a big backlog in firearm license applications that developed after last year's deadly Connecticut school shootings.

The agency said its normal timeline of processing the applications within 60 days grew to more than 110 days, starting with a four-fold increase in January over the typical monthly submissions. That followed the December shootings in Newtown, Conn., in which 20 children and six adults were killed and President Barack Obama and others began pushing around the country for tougher gun control laws.

From December to June, state police processed 91,940 applications, up from 62,934 applications processed in all of 2012.

To catch up, the agency temporarily added 10 workers to the permit processing staff that usually has eight to 10 employees, state police Capt. David Bursten told the Evansville Courier & Press.

"It's become a very politicized issue because you have people on one side of the issue promoting gun rights and people on other side of the issue saying 'take the guns away,' " Bursten said. "So when people on the other side hear 'take the guns' away, they run out and buy guns before the law changes."

The new staffers should allow state police to process 45,000 pending applications within eight to 10 weeks and then be back within the normal 60-day review period. To speed up processing time, police said applicants should submit their applications and fingerprints electronically.

Indiana has issued more than 493,000 total active handgun licenses, and numerous counties have seen an uptick in them in recent months. For instance, northwestern Indiana's Lake County has its number of active license go up 6 percent in the past six months to about 32,300. Neighboring Porter County has had a 13 percent increase to nearly 12,300, according to state records.

Porter County sheriff's Sgt. Larry LaFlower said he also believed many of those applicants were worried about more gun control measures after the Connecticut shootings.

"Some people thought that President Obama was going to take away their guns," LaFlower told the Post-Tribune of Merrillville.

Indiana legislators have loosened the state's gun restrictions in recent years, including guaranteeing that people can have firearms in their vehicles at their workplaces and largely prohibiting cities and counties from putting local limits on gun possession.

Still, Bursten said, the debates occurring elsewhere are affecting Indiana.

"Other states are floating trial balloons about increasing the fees for a permit to buy a handgun," he said. "People think, 'Well, I better act now before the law changes in Indiana.' "
http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/lo ... f6878.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: State police paring down gun permit backlog

Postby Xenokilla » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:32 am

Sounds good to me, my friend has been waiting 3 months for his lifetime to come in.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
On twitter: @Xenokilla
Check my game reviews and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/xenokillaoftaw
Xenokilla

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:09 pm

Xenokilla wrote:Sounds good to me, my friend has been waiting 3 months for his lifetime to come in.

Dr. Happy has been waiting 7 months....and when I contacted downstate, got no reply...
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Xenokilla » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:05 pm

Happy Mom wrote:
Xenokilla wrote:Sounds good to me, my friend has been waiting 3 months for his lifetime to come in.

Dr. Happy has been waiting 7 months....and when I contacted downstate, got no reply...

Dang, i hope they get their stuff together before mine expires, it sucks.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
On twitter: @Xenokilla
Check my game reviews and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/xenokillaoftaw
Xenokilla

Return to Indiana and Midwest